Join our zoo community

Dallas Zoo Dallas Zoo News 2016

Discussion in 'United States' started by cleusk, 8 Jan 2016.

Tags:
  1. jayjds2

jayjds2 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

We have a separate area we can house bulls in where they will be in full public view and be able to physically interact with the rest of the herd. The entire habitat is split into four sections- usually one is always closed off for the giraffe feedings by the public. There are two large portions with very obvious gates that are normally open. I'm a bit worried about space but once everyone is friends it should be an issue. There is also talk of getting southern white rhinos in the exhibit, however there are definite plans for a habitat with the same species near where the hippos are going to go. The quarantine will only be thirty days, thankfully. Thousands (maybe millions, can't recall the number) were spent on new off exhibit space for elephants in preparation for this. There is a long trail leading to the barn, lots of improvements, etc.
    As for the cows integrating, it should be fine depending on the temper of the new elephants. The current ones are sweeties. Each of the two large portions of the Savannah habitat would be enough for the groups (I.e. Four elephants and all the hoofstock and birds one one side, the rest on the other, and maybe the bull in his area.)
    Speaking of the bull, he will be mothered for a while as all the bulls are still pretty young.

2. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

How do we know the bulls are all young? We haven't heard any word about their ages yet, other than they are at least 6 but no older than 25. Either way they are past the age where they would really need to be "mothered" by an unrelated cow.

It would actually be more sensible to import older bulls, as they would be able to start breeding in short order as opposed to needing to wait for a young bull to mature, especially considering a number of the females are currently in their reproductive primes. That could be potentially be 4-5-6 or even more calves missed out on while waiting the 2-5 years for young bulls to mature.

3. jayjds2

I read it somewhere- I'll have to see if I can find it again. Perhaps it was just what someone said and not from a zoo. I agree, it makes sense to import older bulls.

4. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

5. jayjds2

That title makes it sound really bad...

6. wensleydale

wensleydale Well-Known Member

How come they didn't just say "Dallas Zoo Welcomes Five Elephants"? Maybe someone at the paper wants it to look bad. Or maybe someone is asleep at the switch.

7. jayjds2

I feel like most news stations tend to put the negative spin to zoological facilities. Especially SeaWorld. Also, to me, it seems the Facebook's "trending" topics always put the negative spin on everything too.

8. wensleydale

I think you're right, it seems to be the thing as of late. Fun fact: I hate social networking sites like facebook. My advice is to avoid them. They are the potato chip of communication.

9. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

This map might help visualize things a little. The quarantine barn can be used as a 2nd barn for the exhibit and house the extra animals. It's located across the street but is connected via a long walkway.

Attached Files:

10. jayjds2

If you asked my family, they'd tell you I use Facebook to communicate with them. If you asked me, I follow 50 some zoos and aquariums for news.

11. Hyak_II

Hyak_II Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Well whatever the source, it would appear it was more or less correct!

From the picture of their new male Dallas just posted, he definitely looks to be on the younger side of things. If I had to throw a guess out there I'd say around 10 years old, but I'm sure the zoo will release more accurate information soon enough. Either way, 10 is still old enough he should be able to start breeding shortly!

12. jayjds2

The zoo said they'd be doing tests on all of the elephants to determine age, as accurate as possible. Also, interestingly enough, they have a log wall for the elephants to tear down. I like he idea!
    @jbn: do you know how large the off exhibit yards are? Are they it, or is there other off exhibit space for the elephants? They seem a bit small. The map is super helpful, by the way.

13. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

Off exhibit yards total 1/2 acre. Each are about 11,000 sq. ft. The off exhibit space is larger than the entire Fort Worth Zoo's elephant facility.

14. jayjds2

Thanks, just looked small because of the size of the actual exhibit.

15. jayjds2

Female giraffes Sunny and Jamie have moved to the Abilene Zoo.

16. jayjds2

Two phone charging stations (free for visitors) have been built by the company Reliant Energy in the zoo. One is in the children's zoo, while the other is near the Wilds of Africa grill. Both are solar powered.

17. jayjds2

Although never really officially announced, the impala in Giants of the Savanna have been replaced by a pair of greater kudu. The zebras can't bully the kudu as easily.

18. jayjds2

From my visit today:

1. The blue crane exhibit horribly placed between the tigers and koalas is now official, with signage and all.

2. The red-crowned cranes have moved from where they were to in between the tigers and blue cranes.

3. The former red-crowned crane exhibit as well as the okapi exhibit are under construction. The okapi area is unrecognizable.

4. Spur-winged geese are now in the mandrill habitat.

5. African spoonbill chicks are due to hatch next week.

6. Lesser flamingo chicks are on exhibit.

7. While not signed, the pair of blue jays are in the same habitat as the king vultures.

8. Stuff moved in and out of the reptile house as usual. The nursery currently holds a Samar cobra, a pancake tortoise, and some shield tailed agamas.

9. One of the perentie monitors either is off exhibit or passed away. I have only seen one on my last two visits.

10. The new elephants are doing well!

19. wensleydale

1. Are the Blue Jays captive Blue Jays or are they wild Blue Jays that just moved in on their own accord?

2. Good to hear about the Elephants!

20. jayjds2

I believe that the jays are captive. There was a sign for them a while back when I first moved to Texas, but they did a lot of rearranging for the row of exhibits (wings of wonder) that they are in.

The elephants have had more nutrient filled hay (alfalfa) as opposed to whatever they were getting in Swaziland. They've also got primate biscuits which are high on nutrients (went to a lecture by the nutritionist today). Also, I only saw Jenny and Gypsy today. The larger portion of the savanna was closed. Those two were in the bull pen, while giraffes, zebras, ostriches, and guineafowl were in the smaller half of the savanna, I saw nothing of the kudu pair.

Lots of signage is updated- for the turacos in the small aviaries by the tortoises, for the African forest aviary, and in the reptile house.

Not sure what all is trained to fly over the savanna, but today, a windy day, it was a trumpeter hornbill.