Join our zoo community

Danish summer, danish zoos

Discussion in 'Denmark' started by LARTIS, 20 Jun 2018.

1. LARTIS

LARTIS Well-Known Member

My family and I spent almost every family vacation in summer in denmark

Over the years I was able to get an impression of tbhe zoological landscape of denmark and would like to share my impression on a country that be overlooked sometimes when it comes to zoos (at least I was not familiar with the zoos when we were there for the first time, but well that was pre-internet)

Please do not feel offended if aome things may have changes aince then

The following list is in no specific order so the update may be differ from the list below

odense zoo
    københavn zoo
    ķøbenhavn den bla planet
    randers rainforest
    aalborg zoo
    givskud safari park
    ree park
    skaerup zoo
    hirtshals ocenarium

Brum likes this.
  2. LARTIS

LARTIS Well-Known Member

First of all I have been quiet bussy and did not thought it would take a week to sit down gor the first description, anyway

The first zoo I want to start with is Odense, which was the first zoo in denmark for me

I won't give the numbers of animals kept at the facilities since the number of species doea not have to say anything abozt the experience one may have at those places

A wonderful example is denmark

3. LARTIS

LARTIS Well-Known Member

Odense Zoo

The entrance looked rrally nice and modern and made one expect a little bit from the zoo itself (to be modern as well)

Once you enter entrance the first exhibit you will see is inhabited by a group of banded mongoose, but once kept tamarins

The rest of the zoo is set along a little river and due the river washing out sediment set a little bit lower than the entrance

Once there was only one ramp for wheelchairs but I know that the zoo changed that since I was there and turned the stairs into a second ramp which is partly built (once aside) the red panda exhibit shared with reeve's muntjacs

Odense is a wonderful example that a zoo doesn't need any rare species to make even a zoo enthusiast like me, who has seen quiet a few institutions, enjoying it

The first time we visited the zoo some species were just about to move to there new exhibit and had therefor the opportunity to the see some of the old exhibits

For example the new pig tail macaque exhibit once kept the giraffes with a very tiny paddock

The indoor exhibit enables the visitor to see them up close and learn some facts about the monkeys with interactive boards (and for the younger a climbing wall)

kiang likes this.
  4. LARTIS

LARTIS Well-Known Member

After quiet a time my smartphone dropped dead and the review is gone so I have to find another day to redo it

5. LARTIS

LARTIS Well-Known Member

Odense Zoo

Since I have allready discribed the entrance before my smartphone broke, I will go on with the main part

(sorry guys for such a messy posting style, the other descriptions are not planned to be splited)

Right after the pig tailed macaque cage starts the main part on the lower side of the river, including a place in front of the penguin house with a few more or less historical enclosures, a south american themes route and a little farm

The "historical" part includes two seal people home to each a group of harbour seals (whichcan be viewed over and under water) and californian sealions, which are a little bit small, but at least they recognized the problem and made plans which are little bit out of time but maybe will be realize one day (by the way the plan included seaotter, which seem easier to get these days than back then)

A exhibit that seemed to be ugly at the first side enables the visitor to meet a group of prairie dogs on eye level which made me view them in a new way

The old kangaroo for red necked wallabys, (which moved to another new walkthrough exhbit) keeps guinea pigs by now

next to them laya an aviary split into two smallee aviaries containing each a couple of hyacinth macaws and a group of bluebilled ducks and american stillts

Quiet a suprise was the white nosed coati exhibit since the were rare back in the days when we firat visited the zoo

Across from the outdoor exhibit lays the tapir indoor exhibit where one can see terrariums with poison dart frog, milk snakes, and tarantulas (maybe other species since aome terarriums were not filled), and an indoor exhibit for goeldi tamarins and pudu

The next part is the south american route which includes a big walk through aviary home to red ibis, cassowary, inca terns, macaws, red legged seriemas, lowland tapir and capybaras in a seperate sandbank like exhibit within the aviary, and free ranging tamarins, a house each for manatees and penguins connected through a glass tunnel in the middle of a little fake coral reef

The manatees may have been the firat of its kind, since it opened when Berlin, Nürnberg and Arnhem still kept them in tiny pools

The vistor starts of in a little wood house home to a couple of boa constrictor, viewing over the manatee pool including little island with nice plants, free raning species are tamarins, sloth and herons, along the way lays a little red footed tortoise exhibit with very vital individuals (somehow always mating when we passed) slowly entering the underwater level to see the fish and manatees from through big glass windows

Beside arapaimas, pacus, silver dollars, red tailed catfish, talapias and freshwater rays, I qas happily suprised to see dorados

(The first time we saw ten manatees, the biggest group I have ever seen)

A little tank is home to a bigger group of red piranhas

The connecting tunnel was under construcrion the last time we were at the zoo, but once snaper, angle fish and rays were kept in there

The penguin house starts in opposite to the manatee house under the water level slowly goin upwards until one can the group of king, gentoo and northern rockhopper penguins from above (until a few years ago they kept the south american rockhopper species)

After the exit of the penguin house one has ro go the same way to continue the route, which I normaly hate, but in this case not, since the zoo is not that big and it may be intereating to see if some of the animals may have changed their position ;)

The next part is the farm with two little barns, each home to a group of domestic ungulates and smaller breeds like mini pigs, guinea pigs and rabbits

Chicken and Geese are fre ranging

Worth to mention is the group of swallos breeding im the barn for smaller breeds flying very close to the visitors head

The last two exhibit are a walkthrough squirrel monkeys with a nice indoor exhibit (well done fake tree) and a alpaca and greater rhea exhibit

The rockwork is very well done at this zoo, which turn exhibits from trashy to classy

kiang likes this.