Join our zoo community

Faruk Yalçın Zoo Darica Faruk Yalcin Zoo

Discussion in 'Turkey' started by vogelcommando, 31 Mar 2015.

1. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Apparently, they hold a small colony of 5 adults and 4 younger ones hatched over recent years. The zoo had maintained 2 older birds for many years prior to receiving 4 additional birds from the Forestry Service.

Jungle Man likes this.
  2. Smaggledagle

Smaggledagle Well-Known Member

Jungle Man likes this.
  3. PossumRoach

PossumRoach Well-Known Member 5+ year member

4. simge

simge New Member

Hey There simge form Fyzoo yes we have an escape. One of The capuchins went outside and fell from the electric lines after an electric shock but luckily it’s fine it is with the group over 3 weeks now

PossumRoach and Jungle Man like this.
  5. Jungle Man

Jungle Man Well-Known Member

That's good to hear! I haven't heard much about this zoo, but what can you tell us about it? Their species, how are the exhibits etc. Would love to learn about it! Welcome to Zoochat by the way!:)

6. PossumRoach

It has been more than one year since I have posted any new updates so here are some updates:

These cubs, named Jian and Tara, have grown up and are now living at Tierpark Berlin.

A male red panda cub was born last year

Other new babies include a pair of red handed tamarins and the zoo's second baby sloth.

As a part of the master plan, the kitchen has gotten an upgrade.

The raccoons and ponies have a rennovated enclosure.

The lions seem to have been moved to where the yellow baboons were as their old enclosure is getting refurbished as a part of the master plan. I cannot find any information regarding where the yellow baboons are placed of if they still are in the zoo.

Based on the map, a lot of other animals seem to have transferred to another parts of the zoo. These include sitatunga, black crowned crane, mongoose lemur, agouti, and many more that may not be on the map.

And there seems to be a new conservation project focusing on toothed carp (albeit the zoo only lists the genus Anatolichthys, making it difficult to find the exact species). This is done in colaboration with the Isparta University of Applicable Sciences.

Edit I also would like to mention that the zoo may have obtained Luzon hornbill but it is difficult to confirm because their website does not have scientific names of the animals on the animal page, which makes it difficult to confirm species that especially don't have a proper Turkish name such as hornbills.

Last edited: 6 Mar 2022
    Smaggledagle, Kifaru Bwana and kiang like this.
  7. conservationistdude

conservationistdude Active Member

The zoo has had a successful breeding season with their birds.

Japanese cranes, yellow billed storks and the African grey hornbills have all had one chick this year. These were the first offspring the storks and hornbills produced at the zoo.

FYZoo ailesi büyümeye devam ediyor! – Faruk Yalçın Hayvanat Bahçesi ve Botanik Parkı

Two new northern bald ibis came from a breeding centre in Birecik, in addition to the 9 birds the zoo houses.

2022 yılında 2 çift yeni kelaynak FYZoo’ya geldi – Faruk Yalçın Hayvanat Bahçesi ve Botanik Parkı

PossumRoach and Smaggledagle like this.
  8. conservationistdude

I visited the zoo today (can't upload pictures until I make more posts). Improvements have been made since my last visit in 2020. Some species have been phased out from the collection and some enclosures were improved.

Their troop of hamadryas baboons which were kept on a small concrete island were sent off to Gaziantep Zoo. The two old Persian leopards were replaced with cinereous and Egyptian vultures, I'm assuming the leopards passed. A red panda was in the past caracal enclosure, the original red panda exhibit had one individual and the remodelled caracal exhibit also had one. I'm assuming the red pandas were separated to prevent breeding considering they had around five cubs in the past 3 years.

Although it's stated that there are 11 northern bald ibis on their website (2 new additions this year) I counted 13. The lemur enclosure which consists of ring-tailed, black and ruffed lemurs was under construction. Sitatunga which were kept with pygmy hippos in the past were not present. The old racoon enclosure was housing Egyptian vultures and the racoons moved to the old golden jackal enclosure. One of the two brown bears was not there, I assume it has passed since they were old individuals. White headed marmosets were also one of the species that disappeared from the zoo. Mongoose lemurs were moved into the marmoset enclosure.

The aviary for African grey hornbills was enlarged. A building with small cages which kept macaws for breeding was torn down. Two new aviaries were built for rose-breasted and yellow crested cockatoos.

The windows of the indoor Indian rhino enclosure were blacked out only on the females side. There were hopes to breed the rhinos in 2020, I hope this privacy measure means they are expecting offspring.

9. PossumRoach

Thank you for posting this visitor update. I’ve been meaning to write an update after my visit from July and I just kept forgetting it until I thought it was too late.

For the rhinoceros I wouldn’t expect any offspring any time soon, and that is not because they have long gestation periods. As far as I know, there little to no space within the EAZA for Indian rhinoceros right now causing the TAG to come up with a breeding halt.

Also is the aquarium still under renovation?

10. conservationistdude

I didn't know about the halt on breeding. Still doesn't make much sense for only the females enclosure to have tint on the glass.

Yes, the aquarium is still under renovation.

11. conservationistdude

12. PossumRoach

The zoo gave an update on on the baby white cheeked gibbon on their post about World Gibbon Day. The offspring is male (his fur is getting darker) and is named Gibby.

Last edited: 24 Oct 2023
  13. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I tried to use google translate for that text and I coudn´t find any info on the gender of the newest gibbon baby.

All white cheeked gibbons are born yellow, then all of them change colour to black. With onset of puberty (5-7 years of age) females change their fur back to yellow. While males stay black. To tell apart gender of 1 year old gibbon by fur colour alone is impossible.

PossumRoach likes this.
  14. PossumRoach

They just mentioned the fur changes from beige to black as a result of sexual dimorphism which is a terribly vague description of the color change. I thought Gibby was male since the park only mentioned the change to black and failed to mention that females change their color back to yellow.

I admit that I jumped the gun with Gibby’s sex/gender. My bad.

15. PossumRoach

The park has announced that the flamingoes have moved into a new enclosure. From what I can tell this is where the golden eagles used to be kept. There isn’t any announcements about where the eagles have moved to. The red/Caribbean flamingoes also joined the already mixed greater and lesser flamingo flock.

16. conservationistdude

The eagles were moved to the old raccoon enclosure.

Smaggledagle and PossumRoach like this.
  17. Jana

Jana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I appreciate this zoo making improvements of living coditions for their flamingos.

But why for god´s mercy do they feel like mixing different flamingo species and at the same time plan to breed from this flock. Who needs more hybrids? (facepalm)

PossumRoach likes this.
  18. conservationistdude

Their reasoning for it was that the Caribbean flamingos did not know how to breed, so they were hoping mixing them in with the greater and lesser flamingos would encourage them to breed. They first introduced some greater flamingos with them in their old enclosure where the two species were sperated.

19. conservationistdude

20. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Would it be postille that the male Kamari was an animal acquired from a confiscation (illegal trade)?