Join our zoo community

Darling Downs Zoo Darling Downs Zoo News 2022

Discussion in 'Australia' started by WhistlingKite24, 14 Jan 2022.

1. Matt_C

Matt_C Well-Known Member

Hamilton zoo was (is?) desperate to reaquire tapir, it sounds like they were both a visitor and keeper favourite and sorely missed from the collection. Unfortunately it seems the red tape has made it impossible so far.

2. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

A few updates from Darling Downs Zoo that I've received permission to post on here:
    • The three Caracal kittens have been confirmed as three males. Three Serval kittens have also been born recently to the two new females that were imported from Europe introducing new genetics for the regional population of Servals.
    • The zoo also acquired three (2.1) Dumeril's Boas from Melbourne Zoo recently complementing the existing lemurs and tortoises nicely. They hope they will breed off-show.

3. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A really nice species truly complementing the Madagascar themed area here and surprised these boid snakes are allowed to be maintained in Australia (non native reptiles).

4. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

They have a nice and growing reptile collection also I believe the largest collection of tortoises in the region

5. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Non native reptiles may be kept by zoo but not privately.

steveroberts and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  6. WhistlingKite24

Darling Downs Zoo have welcomed their first Meerkat pups, two Guanaco/Llama births and the aforementioned Serval kittens. A pregnant zebra is also due very soon. Reported on 7News Toowoomba.

7. Zoofan15

Zoofan15 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

That's especially exciting news about the Grant's zebra mare. With breeding herds held at Darling Downs Zoo and ZooDoo, it'd be nice to see other zoos establish herds from first generation offspring of these zebra.

As a starting point, colts could be sent to head up breeding herds of generic zebras at other zoos. They could have a breeding tenure of 15-20 years, during which time surplus Grant's fillies could become available once DDZ and ZD have built up their herds to sufficient numbers.

8. Zorro

I thought that off spring had already been sent to other collections in Australia

steveroberts and Zoofan15 like this.
  9. Zoofan15

I believe to date that 1.2 from Darling Downs Zoo's original import were transferred to ZooDoo and according to Taronga's annual report, a first generation colt was transferred from Darling Downs Zoo to Dubbo, but unfortunately died.

To my knowledge, ZooDoo are just sitting on the foals that have been born there. Retaining the filly is reasonable as only one of the two mares has bred and she will be useful in building up the numbers; but retaining the colts does nothing to enhance their collection.

10. WhistlingKite24

I had a wonderful visit to Darling Downs Zoo today. Lots of exciting additions and developments as always. I am starting to notice my visits to DDZ are getting longer and longer as the collection continues to get larger and larger which can only be a good thing. Three hours no longer cuts it to see everything in detail especially considering their collection rivals what most Australasian major zoos these days. Notes are below:
    • I was truly privileged today to meet one of Darling Downs Zoo’s latest arrivals up close; a male Giraffe calf was born in January to female Lily. He unfortunately had to be handraised but is thriving under the team’s care and growing rapidly into an alert and healthy animal. Thank you to the zoo for this incredible experience and giving me permission to post this news on here.
    • as my favourite big cats, I never thought I’d see my first leopards in an Australian zoo but the Sri Lankan Leopards are just superb. Stunning, stunning animals. They also bulk up the Asian precinct very nicely and support the neighbouring tiger to provide a unique point of difference. The male seems to be a real show-stopper in particular. I also saw the three Caracal kittens and one of the Serval kittens.
    • the leopards are not to overshadow the new lemurs; they were very popular as expected but a valued display. During the warmer months, the Radiated Tortoises are also now mixed with the Ring-tailed Lemurs creating an interesting mix. I also managed to see one of new Dumeril’s Boas which is used for the snake presentations.
    • a pair of Malleefowl are now on-display in the frogmouth aviary which are perfect additions for the zoo, complementing the bustards in particular nicely. There are also a few bird-related updates to share; Laughing Kookaburra and Bush Stone-Curlew are now in the wetland aviary, the number of Crimson-winged Parrots have increased and there was a Black Swan cygnet in the waterbird enclosure. There was also a Red-legged Pademelon joey on-display with the koalas.
    • a new set of glass-fronted exhibits have been opened between the two macaw aviaries. The map indicates these will be the future homes for tamarins but today one contained a pair of juvenile Nankeen Night-Herons.
    • lots of wildlife on zoo grounds as well; the resident pair of Wedge-tailed Eagles flew over the giraffes, Rainbow Bee-eaters were near the zebras, a Nankeen Kestrel was seen and a flock of Double-barred Finches remained around the bushes near the leopards. I also saw my first ever Chequered Swallowtail after many years of searching.

I have decided I will be posting a new review for DDZ to update the 2018 one and upload the majority of my enclosure and animal pictures over the coming days (I have 2000+ photos to sort out first!) but here are the resounding highlights from today:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Zoofan15

Great photos @WhistlingKite24!

It’s been so exciting to watch Darling Downs Zoo develop into one of the country’s best zoos over the past few years. Their progress has been astounding and it’s thrilling to see breeding success across multiple species.

The owners, staff and volunteers deserve additional credit for coming through an unprecedented global pandemic and emerging stronger than ever.

12. Zorro

I believe you would enjoy a visit there :)

Zoofan15 and steveroberts like this.
  13. WhistlingKite24

A recent video posted by Darling Downs Zoo announced that both male giraffe calves have made their public debut. Also the zebras have moved into their brand new 20 acre paddock up the hill, developing the African expansion outwards: Log into Facebook | Facebook

akasha, Zorro, Matt_C and 2 others like this.
  14. Zoofan15

That’s an immense paddock for the Grant’s zebra and will surely accomodate them for decades to come. They’ve bred successfully in the previous exhibit, but I look forward to seeing the herd (the largest of this subspecies in the region) continue to thrive.

Good work Darling Downs Zoo!

15. Zorro

I believe they are planning to run two seperate herds. I saw the new shade shelters for them in the new paddock

16. Zoofan15

That makes sense. They presumably have several first generation mares and fillies from the stallion heading up the breeding herd to pair with a second founder stallion.

First and second generation colts and second generation fillies could theoretically supply several other zoos over the next decade. For the many who didn’t take the initiative to import this purebred subspecies, let’s hope they at least have the foresight to acquire them via transfer.

17. Zorro

There’s a unrelated female from Mogo there

steveroberts and Patrick Keegan like this.
  18. Zoofan15

That’s interesting. I didn’t even know Mogo had a purebred Grant’s mare to send them.

Aside from ZooDoo, I thought the only other Grant’s zebra in the region was the mare at Hamilton Zoo and the stallions at Gibbs Farm.

steveroberts and Patrick Keegan like this.
  19. Zorro

I Recall quite a few small bottle trees have been planted along the front of the new Zebra enclosure which will look superb in years to come.

20. Zoofan15

I’d like to see Darling Downs Zoo plant Sausage trees. Their large sausage shaped fruit is eaten by baboons and other monkeys; while several ungulates eat the leaves. They have this species of tree at Perth Zoo (outside the baboon exhibit). Aside from being a quirky visitor attraction, several species at Darling Downs Zoo would enjoy them.

akasha, Matt_C, Zorro and 2 others like this.