Join our zoo community

Dartmoor Zoo Dartmoor Zoo News 2020

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by TNT, 24 Jan 2020.

1. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The zoo now have Northern Luzon Cloud Rats - announced on their FB :)

2. Rupert89

Rupert89 Well-Known Member

Gelada are on their way to the zoo, they will be housed in the old bear enclosure. Work has begun on the enclosure. Last week they have welcomed a female von der decken hornbill too!

3. EsserWarrior

EsserWarrior Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Dartmoor Zoo seems to be growing rapidly. I'm glad to see this zoo doing well.

4. The Hedgehog

The Hedgehog Well-Known Member

Dartmoor Zoo is growing steadily because Benjamin Mee his son Milo and daughter Ella are some of the nicest,most careing and determined people I have ev. I can say this as I'm friends with them,they always talk to me when I see them around the zoo. I wish the Mee's the very best for the future.

EsserWarrior likes this.
  5. Sand Cat

Sand Cat Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Do any foxes still live in that enclosure? I remember seeing some with the bears in the 1990s - I was never fully clear on whether they were semi-wild but think that may have been the case. I'm interested as to whether any are still there, and if so what will happen to them when the new residents move in?

6. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

@Sand Cat a fox had it's own enclosure near the Jaguar three years ago

7. The Hedgehog

Unfortunately Bramble the fox that used to live in the enclosure opposite Chinta the Jaguar passed away about a year or two ago.

Don't quote me on it but I believe that Kato the lone male Racoon Dog now resides in Bramble's former enclosure. However as I haven't been to Dartmoor Zoo for over a year there's a chance that Kato could have been relocated to the former second Meerkat enclosure next to where the Valvet Monkeys lived.

If you're not aware of the death of Jay and Kiki the Velvet Monkeys they were euthanised due to some form of disease or virus. Benjamin Mee informed me of this sad news.

I'm only going on a photograph that I saw on Facebook. The angle of the photo made it difficult to tell if Kato was in Bramble's former home or the enclosure that used to be home to the second Meerkat mob.

Benjamin Mee himself told me that the former Velvet Monkey enclosure now has a Craine in it. Apparently the long term plan for the Velvet Monkeys enclosure,is to transform it into a multi species exhibit with many different Monkeys including Saki Monkey.

The last I heard about the newly formed pride of lions was that they had been separated. The Lionesses being held in the enclosure that was built to house Dragen and Alisha the Amur tigers when they first arrived. Meanwhile Jasiri remained in the enclosure that he used to share with Josie before her demise.
    Apparently this is so as there was a lot of fighting occurring between Jasiri and the two Lionesses.
    Benjamin Mee said that he may even have to euthanise one of the Lionesses if worst comes to worst so that Jasiri harmonyoly resides with one of Lionesses. But I must state that Benjamin will attempt to restore peace between the African Lions or relocate them before he even considers euthanasia.

8. nb123

nb123 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The Racoon dogs are in the old Fox enclosure next to the Jaguar.

The enclosure that used to house meerkats next to the old Vervet Monkey enclosure has been converted and is home to 0.2 Red Handed Tamarins.

A pair of East African Grey Crowned Cranes reside in the old Vervet Monkey enclosure currently.

Lions were still separated on my last visit although there was talk of a reintroduction attempt soon in the keeper talk.

A pair of Potoroos arrived at the end of last year and live in one of the aviaries next to the house.

The Northern Luzon Cloud Rats are a sibling pair and live near to the Otters in an indoor enclosure.

Female Von Der Deckers Hornbill is in a corner aviary that housed the Racoon Dogs previously.

Other arrivals include Agouti and White Cheeked Turaco to partner up lone animals.

Recent births include 4 Otter pups and a pair of Common Marmosets.

Gelada will be a nice addition.

9. Rupert89

The lions are still seperate, the lionesses are in the main enclosure with jasiri in the quarry enclosure where the tigers were held. They are in the process of being reintroduced to one another but will be a long process.

Kato is in brambles old enclosure.

Lots of exciting plans i hear and lots of growth for Dartmoor Zoo. It just needs the support from everyone!

10. The Hedgehog

Hi Rupert89 do you know any of the exciting plans that Benjamin Mee has planned for 2020? If you do can you please go into suspific details?

Many thanks
    Kind regards
    From
    The Hedgehog!

Have a good day whatever that might consist of.

11. Rupert89

More work has been done to the gelada enclosure, looks like it won't be too long before they will be arriving. IMG_20200305_165658.jpg

12. Jungle Man

Jungle Man Well-Known Member

Marmoset pair Ted and Marmalade had twins just before Christmas last year and they have been named, the female Philly and the male Pastuzo.

13. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Okay I am going to play stupid here,what species of Marmoset as there are quiet a few?

14. TNT

Only a few posts up :)

Themonkeyguy1 likes this.
  15. zoogiraffe

Okay I found mention of Common further up,but that doesn't say anything about young also it doesn't mean that they don't have another species,but thanks any way for trying to be helpful!

16. Rupert89

They are common marmosets

17. TNT

They only have Common Marmosets at Dartmoor. The post above says, "Recent births include 4 Otter pups and a pair of common marmosets", in my eyes that is certainly indicating that there are "young", wouldn't you agree? :)

Themonkeyguy1 likes this.
  18. zoogiraffe

Well its a possible but are you sure they only have one marmoset species,as I know ztl is very often wrong for the UK,and at this point I give up and get my reading glasses!

19. Embu

Embu Well-Known Member 5+ year member

"exciting news" being announced tomorrow on their social media pages. By the look of the picture could be lion Tamarins but I could be wrong

20. banham.tiger

banham.tiger Well-Known Member

Its the Geladas :)