Join our zoo community

Database of giant panda's in captivity

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Tiger, 12 Sep 2021.

1. Tiger

Tiger Well-Known Member

I don't know if there's already a thread for this, but I can't find a good organized site that has information about giant pandas. Until recently you had giantpandaglobal.com, but since it had an error the site is gradually languishing. Until recently it still contained a little information such as date of birth but now only the name and photo of the panda. I think there are Zoochatters here who have a good overview of giant pandas in captivity or know a good site.
    Thanks in advance

2. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I know @Nix is working on something similar to this, although also exploring the historic element of panda holdings as well, but not sure there is a comprehensive database currently. The list is fairly short outside China either way.

3. Nix

Nix Well-Known Member

Yup, I'm looking into how they were housed, when they were housed from where they came, there names etc.
    But as you siad it will only be previous Giant Pandas, no current ones (As that information is easy to find but historic ones not so much)

4. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

Here: The Pandas | Panda News

Click on a panda and you will get the information on that panda.

5. IndianRhino

IndianRhino Well-Known Member

I just went through it and that website definitely hasn't been updated in a long time.

6. Tiger

Tiger Well-Known Member

The only problem with this site is that it is hard to find a panda on here. Even control F can't help you. If there is a search function, please, tell me:D.

7. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

No, it's really awkward in that regard. You need to know the name of the panda and then scan through all the thumbnails until you find it. But you won't find a better collection of individual panda information.