Join our zoo community

"De-Extinction" and Zoos

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by WV Zoo Volunteer, 22 Aug 2015.

?

Where do you stand on the prospects of "de-extinction"?

1. No, de-extinction shouldn't be carried out. It is unethical.

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  2. No, de-extinction shouldn't be carried out. It would take importance away from conservation efforts.

16 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. Yes, de-extinction should be carried out, but the revived species should remain in captivity.

5 vote(s)
    8.9%
  4. Yes, de-extinction should be carried out, but only for species lost due to human activity.

19 vote(s)
    33.9%
  5. Yes, de-extinction and re-introduction should occur, but only for keystone species of ecosystems.

8 vote(s)
    14.3%
  6. Yes, de-extinction and re-introduction should occur, and all animals revived should be returned.

6 vote(s)
    10.7%
  1. jbnbsn99

jbnbsn99 Well-Known Member

As for hunting for ivory, that can be easily controlled for. If the animals are in Canada, there would be little pressure from locals to hunt them. In fact, the locals would be far more inclined to protect them due to the tourism brought in. The driving factor in ivory poaching is the extreme poverty in areas where elephants live. Northern Canada is poor, but this would be an economic boost for the community, not a detriment.

We do know some of mammoth's diets from coprolites, frozen samples, etc. All the plants are still extant, and some, like the osage orange need to be dispersed by mammoths, and it's range has dramatically shrunk since the mammoth's disappearance.

We assume that the bitter cold of the ice age maximum was the optimal time for mammoths, but the reality is, that they were probably far more adaptable than that. In fact, they could probably survive better in a slightly warmer climate where food was more abundant.

It's better to try and fail than to have never tried at all.

2. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

I am not so certain that ecotourism has enabled us to save any species already existing. Yes, creating Jurassic Park will be popular if Disney runs it. And maybe that's how this entire enterprise should be sen: as the fodder for new theme parks. Done right, I can see money can be made.

3. jbnbsn99

Initially, that might be the right approach. Disney Pleistocene?

4. ZooElephantMan

ZooElephantMan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I think that many zoos in colder climates would probably switch from elephants to
    Mammoths so they can be seen outdoors all year round.

@jbshsjdhdnwn-

Your long speech was fantastic and incredibly well written. I agree with your points.

evilmonkey239 likes this.
  5. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

My opinions vary depending on the species. For something like a mammoth, I'd be fine with cloning for research purposes, but obviously it wouldn't be suited for release into the wild. A recently extinct species, killed off by human activity, could potentially be brought back for release.

A lot of people say that it's a waste of money that could be used for conservation. I'm not really a fan of that argument because who is to say that money would get used for conservation? Whenever there's an article on rich people spending their money on something stupid like a solid gold toilet, people always go "That money could've been used to help a lot of people instead!". But if the rich person didn't buy that toilet, they probably wouldn't have used that money to help people. They would've either kept it or bought some other, probably stupid, thing.

This especially applies if we're talking about cloning long-extinct species that wouldn't be considered for release into the wild, like mammoths. Cloning is still expensive and not very reliable, ESPECIALLY if we're talking about a large animal like a mammoth. If some group tries to clone mammoths on a large scale in the near future, there will probably be some big profit motives behind it, not something funded by a zoo or conservation group. Put a mammoth in a theme park and people will be flocking in from all over the world to see Disney's Ice Age Safari. Disney (just to use them as an example) is a massive, for-profit, entertainment-oriented corporation. If they decided to research cloning so they could put Pleistocene mammals in a theme park, that's not money that would've been used for conservation anyway. They would've just spent it on some other money-making venture.

And I do want to throw in, a lot of people like to use the "mammoth" example simply because it brings more attention to the idea. Realistically, cloning done by research groups and cloning done for conservation purposes will probably include mostly obscure, recent species that the average person isn't familiar with. Saying "SCIENTISTS WANT TO CLONE GOLDEN TOAD" isn't as catchy as "SCIENTISTS WANT TO CLONE WOOLLY MAMMOTH, HOLY CRAP, THIS IS GOING TO LEAD TO JURASSIC PARK AND DINOSAURS WILL KILL US ALL?!".

On a side note, I'm always rather disappointed that nobody talks about the possibility of cloning technology to help existing endangered species. Even the population is stable, many endangered animal populations suffer from low genetic diversity. Wouldn't it be cool to use genetic samples from dead animals to bring in genes that might not even be in the population anymore?

Birdsage and evilmonkey239 like this.
  6. ZooElephantMan

ZooElephantMan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I think they are looking at cloning n white rhinos. I think they also might be looking at Sumatran and Javans but I am not sure.

7. jbnbsn99

I hadn't heard of Javans, but the other two yes.

8. WV Zoo Volunteer

WV Zoo Volunteer Member

The three species targeted for genetic assistance are those three. Listed on-site as Ceratotherium cottoni, Rhinoceros sondaicus, and Dicerorhinus sumatrensis.

9. jbnbsn99

Who is looking at those?

10. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

11. Swampy

Swampy Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Interesting to see the thylacine listed under European mammals on that link.....:p

12. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I agree, Swampy.

I think it's another case of poor proof-reading.

As there are lots of captive Arabian oryx, I wonder why that species is included.

13. Swampy

Swampy Well-Known Member 10+ year member

the very generic 'bats' is also a dubious point.
    It annoys me that, instead of giving you more information as to what they mean, when clicked on, these just link straight to Wikipedia articles.

14. savethelephant

savethelephant Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Could it be that they meant scimitar-horned oryx* instead?

*I am well aware of the picture of Arabian oryx

15. Dassie rat

Dassie rat Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Hello Savetheelephant
    There are lots of captive scimitar-horned oryxes. I wonder if Margaret Attwood wanted to de-extinct the Ascension crake or Kosrae crake instead.

Hello Swampy

I wondered why the bats were just listed in the Americas. The photo seemed to show a European long-eared bat.

16. Mr. Zootycoon

Mr. Zootycoon Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I stick to my opinion that cloning animals that went extinct by other reasons than humans
    is irresponsible. We just don't know enough of them. Introducing new or even disappeared
    species into an existing habitat is far from easy. Especially when it has been extinct for so long.

Mammoths might be more adaptable than most of us think, but they were simply not adaptable enough to survive, so why would they survive in a world even more under pressure by global warming and human activities. They would probably survive in (semi-)captivity. But releasing these creatures into the wild can, and probably will have unexpected and negative consequentes. This said, for me, and that is my personal opinion, there is no reason to clone mammoths to keep them in zoos.

And economic gain? We are destroying the world for economic gain!
    Is earning money a good reason to [sensured] nature even more?
    Mammoths had their chance. The genes that ensured survival live on in elephants.
    If elephants have trouble surviving nowadays, image the trouble mammoths will have.

birdsandbats likes this.
  17. jbnbsn99

You scoff at economic gain, but in every major event and advancement in human history, economics has been the underlying cause. We are a selfish species. How will it benefit us? That selfishness can be used to the advantage of conservationists. If you want to save species, fix the economics of the people who live around and with the species in danger.

18. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Yeah, from a practicality sense, it's easier to get stuff done if there's some kind of monetary gain. It's true that a lot of environmental harm is caused by desire for money, but it can swing the other way too, and conservationists often try to come up with ways that people can profit from a healthier environment. It's true that cloned mammoths would not be considered for release into the wild, but the general public would be much more interested in a cloned mammoth than a passenger pigeon. Researchers could use the possibility of a cloned mammoth to get more support and money into cloning. If a research facility clones a mammoth, they could profit from it and put the money towards something more useful.

19. Mr. Zootycoon

Mr. Zootycoon Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I know conservation works the best when people profit.
    But money shouldn't be a reason to mess with nature, but unfortunately, it is.

Don't get me wrong, but you are missing the point here.
    I think cloning mammoths is irresponsible, they simply don't belong in this time.
    An animal shouldn't have to 'create its own habitat'. Animals don't die out without a reason.
    Exept climate change, there might be other reasons why there are no mammoths around today.
    We can only guess the impact they will have on their new habitat and the species already living in it. This, compared with troubles we already have in conserving modern day megafauna - species that actually belong in this time and already fit in a existing ecosystems -, makes me think cloning them is nothing les than irresponsible.
    For me, and again, this is my personal opinion, that outweights the economic and educational purposes (the education part is already carried our by museums).

I just realise I sound like Ian Malcom! :D
    'your scientist were so preoccupied on wether or not they could that they did't stop to think if they should.' (Seems appropriate to me ;))

birdsandbats and evilmonkey239 like this.
  20. jbnbsn99

Who says mammoths don't belong in our time. If it weren't for humans, where do you think they'd be?

As for co-existing with the current species, those are the same species that the mammoths co-existed with when they were extant.

When I say they "create" their own habitat, this is simply a reflection of elephant ecology. African elephants are known to create whole ecosystems in their native range.

I have a hard time going along with you when you cite personal opinion as your driving factor.