Join our zoo community

Debating between different cameras for zoo photography

Discussion in 'Animal Photography' started by zoolover123, 1 Aug 2013.

1. zoolover123

zoolover123 Active Member

I am looking to get an excellent camera for zoo photography. I am looking for one between 400-500 dollars. I have been to several camera stores locally and am currently between two models.

These models are the Canon pwrsht SX50hs for $449 and the Nikon Coolpix P520 for $399. I am leaning toward the Canon as I have had several over time. Any thoughts? Thanks!

2. callorhinus

callorhinus Well-Known Member

I will not give you advice which camera you should choose, but I suggest you to reserve some money to buy a tripod. Tripod is often important as much as a camera, and it should not be the cheapest and the lightest.

3. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Looking at the specs, they appear to be essentially the same camera from different manufacturers. I think you would be just as happy with either one.
    Canon PowerShot SX50 HS vs Nikon P520 - Our Analysis
    The review site linked above is a comparison of the two models and they choose Canon. However, they do note the Nikon has a larger and higher resolution screen. I have Canon cameras (though nothing in this category) and have been happy with them, but honestly I think either of these two would perform just as well. The longer battery life of the Canon (according to above link) would be just as good a reason as any to go with that model. But honestly, I personally might buy the Nikon only because it is available in red!

4. Jackwow

Jackwow Well-Known Member 10+ year member

For these cameras you do not need a tripod. Infact I do a lot of zoo photography with much bigger and heavier bodies and lenses than the cameras the OP is looking at and I have never had any need for a tripod (I don't even own a tripod).