Join our zoo community

Delhi National Zoological Park Delhi Zoo plans dolphinarium

Discussion in 'India' started by Chlidonias, 27 Jul 2010.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

interestingly, for those lovers of unusual zoo inhabitants, the plans appear to be for the Ganges freshwater dolphin!
    Delhi Zoo exploring for building dolphinarium - Hindustan Times

2. Chlidonias

Can dolphins revive Delhi zoo?

3. Chlidonias

I just also found this much older post from October last year (the above two posts were from yesterday and today)
    Delhi Zoo to house freshwater dolphins | Wildlifewatch

4. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I've been to Delhi Zoo last year, and to my shame haven't posted anything about it yet...

For now, all I can say is that i was impressed by the management. Food was not allowed in, and not sold anywhere in the Zoo. At first i was surprised and perhaps a little annoyed by this fact, untill i realised i never saw anyone feeding the animals.

It really felt like the management wanted to get rid of people feeding the animals, and was so unsuccesfull that they banished food entirely from their grounds. The result all over the zoo was very noticeable; healthy looking animals and no begging at all. All i can say, respect for the zoo to scratch an important income in favour of the animals well-being. It gives me a little hope that this dolphinarium idea could work without mistreatment of the animals involved.

As for the zoo, nothing really spectacular but also nothing really bad, bare for a little overcrowded cage of leopards and and rather small cage for a jaguar. But all in all, it could rival many major zoos in europe. The collection was impressive, but contained only a handfull of animals that are not to be seen in Europe. Most notable animals included;
    Indian Gazelle; Gazella Benetti
    Goral; Naemorhedus goral
    Four-horned antilope Tetracerus quadricornis (empty exhibit all day :( )
    Hoolock Hibbon Bunopithecus hoolock (single individual)

Other animals are gaurs, sloth bears, asian lions, tigers (both white and striped), chimpansees, three elephants (male and two females), banteng, asian rhinos, a single male Lechwe, cassowary, a troup of baboons, multiple species of deer, macaques, large herd of nilgai, three other crocodilians, large reticulated pythons... I can try and dig up the map and list some more when people would like me to.

5. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The zoo has gone through some phase in recent years and negative/ suggestive reporting on animal deaths (PETA ilk are very active in India and it is often difficult to get the real facts right).

What can be said is that for sure the recent (2008-2009) rhino and deer deaths could have been avoided by management. Perhaps the place has become stricter now (as evidenced by jwer's report).

As for a dolphinarium as part of the masterplan: I would prefer/concur they stick to renovating the existing exhibits on animal zoning/ regional themes and work from there. A riverine dolphinarium may be a definite plus if all interpretative exhibits have been done up. However, I do not subscribe to the kind of crap (excuse-)"expertise" that PETA or Asian Animal Network come out with regarding dolphins.

Obviously, better Carnivora facilities is a definite need in many Indian zoos (as it is in Delhi) and some more imaginative presentation of hoofstock would also greatly improve the appeal of the zoo. As for staffing levels a resident animal vet, a well-equipped in situ animal hospital, food kitchen and other major logistical facilities would be instrumental in raising animal welfare and management/up-keep levels further.

6. sealion

sealion Well-Known Member

Interesting story. It's great that they're looking to try and use the ganges dolphin as it is critically endangered, this could possibly prevent this dolphin reaching the fate of it's yangtze cousins.

A few issues with the anti-cap info:

Many dolphinaria use seawater, not chlorine (this probably doesn't apply to delhi as it is landlocked, but the use of chemicals in dolphinaria is strictly monitored and has come a long way since the trial-and-error of the 60s and 70s.

Recently, there is hardly any different between the lifespan of captive and wild dolphins, despite what many groups state.

and the phrase "dolphins cannot cope in captivity" is obviously a lie. There is too much evidence against this.

But all in all, as long as they plan it carefully and make sure the emphasis is on conservation rather than money this could be a vital lifeline for the species.