Join our zoo community

Denver Zoo Denver Zoo News 2019

Discussion in 'United States' started by Milwaukee Man, 10 Jan 2019.

1. Echobeast

Echobeast Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Visited the zoo for about an hour and a half. More than half the zoo was closed off due to snow but I was able to see some animals out and all of Tropical Discovery.

One thing of big note was the new work wall cover on the path up to the old polar bear exhibit.

Apparently called “Harmony Hill Park” the new exhibit will turn the larger bear exhibit on the left into a more naturalistic yard with grass, sand, trees, and a large overlook hill for the bears to climb on. The smaller yard on the right will be renovated to look like a modern backyard with a picnic table, hammock, porch, sandbox, trash can, and swimming pool. Definitely unique and an improvement to the old polar bear exhibit and massive improvement to the grizzlies current home in Bear Mountain.

2. Echobeast

Forgot to add that the exhibit is opening in “2019”

3. SharkFinatic

SharkFinatic Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I’ve got high hopes for the exhibit, but I’m not sold on the name. I mean, Harmony Hill Park? That doesn’t sound like a name for a bear exhibit, or any exhibit for that matter.

StoppableSan likes this.
  4. Buldeo

Buldeo Well-Known Member

I'll second this sentiment. It's a dumb name. Hopefully they do something with their pinniped exhibits too.

I was there about a week ago, and while it was surprisingly warm, it's hard to pretend you're in India with snow drifts piled up everywhere!

Also, that gorilla yard is absolutely massive -- and flat. I hope they take the opportunity to emulate the Bronx's Congo Gorilla Forest. They could really improve their primate collections and habitats.

StoppableSan likes this.
  5. Echobeast

I agree. It’s super odd and doesn’t really fit with the nearby pinniped and otter exhibits at all. That’s why I’m not exactly sure if it’s the official name or just some sort of marketing tool or theme.

I actually think the primate collection is one of the best in NA. And the habitats are extremely natural and large and to me don’t need much improvement except for the old 1920s monkey house.

6. Buldeo

Buldeo Well-Known Member

There's a good chance that this, at least temporarily, becomes my home zoo so it will be interesting to see the changes it goes through.

One of the best in North America? Oh, I couldn't co-sign that statement. Not at all. While decent, they need a lot more diversity to begin to be considered for best of status. They don't have anything of note except aye-ayes, but those are shunted off into a weird side alcove (that I almost missed). Like, if they added Japanese macaques or Golden snubbed nose monkeys to the proposed Asian Highlands section, then we could start to talk.

The AZA-ifcation of our zoos is getting irksome (even if I understand the reasoning behind it).

StoppableSan likes this.
  7. Echobeast

Well, I’ll talk a bit about how great Denver has it in terms of primate diversity in my opinion. You are free to disagree. They have 20+ species on exhibit with some real rare species in zoos. For example, I haven’t ever seen red-crested mangabys or golden cheeked gibbons at another zoo (although I’ll admit I haven’t visited nearly as many zoos as some others on the forum). Neither have a large presence in AZA and are considered rarities. Mandrill are also increasingly rare. Aye-ayes are self explanitory. I’d put Denver’s primates at 2nd best in terms of overall collection quality (both exhibit quality and diversity). Only San Diego has Denver beat in my opinion. Cleveland is third by a wide margin and is only in that position because the diversity of their collection is better than Denver. Primate Panorama is most likely one of my top 10 favorite exhibits if I were to ever make that list.

8. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I wholeheartedly agree with this entire paragraph, as Denver is a great zoo and Primate Panorama is also one of my favourite all-time zoo exhibits. I visited in 2006 and 2012 and towards the end of my Snowleopard's 2012 Road Trip thread there is an extensive review of Denver Zoo and I gushed with praise in regards to its primate zone. Now that I'm closing in on visiting 500 different zoos/aquariums (I'll hit that mark in August), I regard Denver as one of the best zoos I've ever seen for primates.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  9. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

10. Echobeast

Buldeo, LesulaMonkey and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  11. SafariKid2

SafariKid2 Member

Speaking of Bear Mountain, despite how unusually outdated it is, I wonder if sloth bears and Malayan sun bears will be added to the exhibit's original Asiatic black bear and grizzly bear yards, respectively, after the grizzlies are moved to their new home (though the coatis can stay), seeing as both the sun bear and sloth bear are represented on the carousel.

I'm new, by the way.

Hipporex and Jambo like this.
  12. Echobeast

Welcome! I would say most likely no bear species will be put in Bear Mountain as it’s inadequacy for bears was the reason grizzlies are moving out in the first place. The exhibit was marked in recent USDA inspections due to the bears pacing without ceasing. The structure is on the national historic registry so it can’t be completely demolished but I highly doubt any large animal species will call it home again.

13. Jambo

Jambo Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Welcome @SafariKid2 . Hopefully you will contribute to valuable discussion on this website! :)

14. SafariKid2

SafariKid2 Member

I understand. At least the coatis are small enough to live in it. Would that mean smaller animals would live in the mountain with the coatis instead? (Sorry if I changed the subject)

15. Echobeast

Potentially. It's sorely out of date for any animal in my opinion.

16. Hipporex

Hipporex Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Welcome

17. Buldeo

Buldeo Well-Known Member

He seems small for an 8-year old. Definitely within the average, though.

I appreciate the vocal defense! Maybe it will grow on me, but I'm pretty certain L.A. Zoo has all of those species minus the aye-aye. The point that they're generally rarities in zoos is well-taken.

18. Echobeast

Male Komodo dragon, Raja, passed away over the weekend at the age of 16.

Denver Zoo

LesulaMonkey and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  19. Echobeast

Also according to a Facebook post over the weekend, the new grizzly habitat is almost completed and they told us to expect updates and sneak peeks over this week.

Denver Zoo

20. John Marchwick

John Marchwick Well-Known Member 5+ year member