Join our zoo community

Chester Zoo Developments/Visit - 04/03/2010

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by SMR, 4 Mar 2010.

1. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Thank you for the update :) Glad to hear that she is well.

Have either of the bulls left yet?

2. Jola

Jola Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Do you mean the bulls at Madrid? No, Sahib and Daan are still there, at the moment no bull is scheduled to leave.

3. CZJimmy

CZJimmy Well-Known Member

Quick question after a visit today,

Approximately when was the Twilight Zone rebranded as "Fruit Bat Forest"?

I've made quite a few flying visits recently, but had always skipped over the bats until today and noticed new signs in the animal areas and the lobby areas have also been repainted.

4. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

It was branded as that when I visited at the start of the month, but only once you're inside the building. I read it as the actual bat exhibit is 'Fruit Bat Forest' within the building 'The Twilight Zone' (as it was still called outside).

5. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

Last week there were some signs labelled "Fruit Bat Forest" on the inside of the building, but all the external signs still read "Twilight Zone". Where did you see the new signs CZJimmy?

6. CZJimmy

The large sign on the front of the building still read as "Twilight Zone" but there was a sign outside the exit by the tapirs which stated explicitly that there was no entry to fruit bat forest via that route.

However, I'm inclined to agree with Maguari and say that it is most probably "Fruit Bat Forest" within "The Twilight Zone".

The new signs i was referring to were the updated animal information boards within the building itself.

7. LeeMac13

LeeMac13 Well-Known Member

Visited today, was busy due to the weather. Asha and Iblis seemed to be continuing to get on well and spent the day close together relaxing in the sun. The former Sealion enclosure is coming along at a rapid speed in term of its conversion to a home for the Giant Otter today the enclosure was being filled with water. On the subject of Giant Otter I managed to get a very brief glimpse of the female Giant Otter throught the gaps in the wooden fencing around the old Orangutan enclosure. Apoligies for not getting a photo but in all honesty I looked through not expecting to see anything and was very shocked to see it to say the least. The Forest section of Spirit of the Jaguar which houses Pele the Melanistic Jaguar and the Ant colony was closed today, the bridge inside the enclosure had been dispmantled aswell as part of the ant area. Mandrills were mating today so more young on the way. Also saw a very small chimpanzee which I suppose could have been Tina but seemed a lot smaller than id expect her to be a possible new baby perhaps? Ema & Bashira have also been moved into the enclosure were Magardi was previously held. Also noticed that there is now only three Zebra is the zoo moving the males on to bring in a female and create a breeding herd? Could also only see two Przewalski's I assume they are slowly being moved to other collections.

Last edited: 22 Mar 2010
  8. ZooLeopard

ZooLeopard Well-Known Member

*From CWP facebook page

"The young male Red Panda from Chester has joined our existing lone female, they are related so will not form a breeding pair."

9. LeeMac13

LeeMac13 Well-Known Member

I guess this wouldnt be the mature male? though i did only see one panda on last visit :confused:

10. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

Chester's Facebook page has lots of pictures of giant otters, are they on show already?

11. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

She is now on show. I am going next week so will try and get some photo's of the completed exibit. :)

12. ^Chris^

^Chris^ Well-Known Member

Wow, such a long time since I've swung by Zoochat and even longer since I've visited Chester! Good to see the zoo is still ploughing on and making plenty of changes.

I, for one, am really happy to hear that giant otters are arriving (or have arrived). Of course it's sad that the sea lions have gone, but they're pool wasn't really the best of exhibits- I've long been waiting for a change in that area. I'm sure when the zoo does decide to bring pinnipeds back, we'll be in for a real treat.

I am due a visit I think- will wait until anteaters are about (any ideas on how long?) then will get across there!

One quick question, last time I was at the zoo, they were in the process of building a Philippines section by the spotted deer for the pigs, no doubt that's finished now. Are they moved in and can anyone point me in the direction of some photos (I've seen some by Taun, are those the new enclosure there? http://www.zoochat.com/42/chester-zoo-visayan-warty-pig-92887/ )? Does that mean pigs are kept in both this enclosure and the antelope house near the buffalo and okapi?

13. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The new Chester map is now available. The area previously housing the small-clawed otters and the avairies is marked as a play area.

Giant Anteaters are advertised as coming in the autumn. The giant otters are listed as on show.

African wild Dogs are coming soon.

Warty Pigs have two exhibits now.

14. CZJimmy

The new enclosure has been completed (and a litter has been born in it as well) however, personally i've refrained from taking photos yet as the trees and foliage haven't established themselves yet

The photo in the link you've posted was taken at the enclosure by the Okapi

The pigs are kept in both enclosures

Last edited: 26 Mar 2010
  15. Pt123

Pt123 Well-Known Member

I believe the Giant Otter already at Chester is male, the female is due to arrive early next month.

16. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

The giant otter is male, name, Xingu. He's now in the redeveloped enclosure and on show. The zoo is hoping for a female, but don't know when she'll arrive.
    Great, I always thought the zoo needed more play areas and fewer enclosures. :confused:

17. ZooLeopard

ZooLeopard Well-Known Member

Is the new map on the website?

Glad the male otter has settled in his new home :)

18. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

Doesn't look like it: Chester Zoo - Zoo Map

There should be a new souvenir guide later this year too.

19. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Is the renovation of the sealion pool completed already? That was quick.

Does anyone have any pictures of the finished enclosure?

20. CZJimmy

Good news.

I was disappointed when Chester stopped producing a regular guidebook and the one they released 2 (?) years ago felt like a commemorative special rather than a "proper" guide (although I was pleased with the quality and content which went into that edition).