Join our zoo community

DeYoung Family Zoo DeYoung Family Zoo News

Discussion in 'United States' started by JBZvolunteer, 23 May 2012.

1. JBZvolunteer

JBZvolunteer Well-Known Member

The zoo welcomed a baby patagonian cavy on August 5th.

2. JBZvolunteer

The zoo has gotten a red kangaroo joey from Wildwood Wildlife Park.

3. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I just uploaded approximately 100 photos of the zoo into the gallery.

4. JBZvolunteer

The zoo has received a black back jackal from the Czech Republic to be paired for breeding with the pup born this year at the zoo.

5. JBZvolunteer

The zoo has had a lot of recent animal activity:
    • The zoo has welcomed two goat kids.
    • 4 New Guinea Singing Dog pups were born from the zoo, all from a rare bloodline.
    • Sky the Eurasian brown bear cub has unexpectedly bonded with one of the rescue dogs at the zoo, Silly the terrier.

StoppableSan likes this.
  6. JBZvolunteer

The zoo is currently adding on a two story addition to the reptile building to serve as indoor holding for some of the more tropical animals.

StoppableSan likes this.
  7. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I may be visiting this Zoo in the near future.

Does anyone have any advice on viewing for the black-backed jackals and palm civets? Are the exhibits easy to look into? Specific places within the exhibits to look? Certain times of the day better? Both are species I haven't seen before, and it would be awesome to check them out.

Also on the website they have listed something called a pacaguitia. What is that?

8. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

maybe it's a hybrid between a paca and an agouti? :D

On the same page they list a "Royal Tabbetin Yak" as well...

I guess their statment "You may discover a few you didn’t even know existed!" holds true!

9. iluvwhales

iluvwhales Well-Known Member 10+ year member

StoppableSan likes this.
  10. iluvwhales

iluvwhales Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Excuse my bad grammar on my last post

11. Coelacanth18

Coelacanth18 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

I think that whatever is best for the chimpanzees is what should be done. I can't confess that I know what that is; if they can be properly socialized and integrated into a chimp group, I think that should be the goal, but if they cannot be integrated then sending them elsewhere wouldn't be the best outcome for them. In addition to my not knowing what the best option is, I'm certain that PETA doesn't know either and these articles, as with everything PETA publishes, only seem to offer their biased perspective.

pachyderm pro likes this.
  12. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Preach. I agree with everything you just said. I really wish peta would actually do research instead of making biased assumptions that make them look like Heros and zoos like prisons.

StoppableSan and Coelacanth18 like this.
  13. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

PETA will never do that. It is somewhat similar to the tactics of Neo-Con / Alt-Right in the US with loads of conspiracy theories coupled with an all pervasive self important self interested "WE ART BETTER THAN THOU" attitude.

A good example for Neo-Con / Alt Right f.i.: Denying climate change exists, denying we burn fossil fuels like there is no tomorrow while 97% of the respected climate scientists (those dealing with every day weather reporting and climate research) have concluded that it does and that the only discourse may / can be to what degree(s) stage climate change has already occured and what future trajectory lies ahead with continued unabatted burning fossil fuels and ever increasing populations.

Similarly, as in the case of this small zoo the zoo is criticised for simply holding chimpanzees. And allthough their arguments claim animal welfare and "better off in the wild ...." as if the status of wild chimpanzees is safe and set in stone. The real issue we should have is that mainstream media seem most uncritical of that particular attitude, the blatantly incorrect information and unscientific non factualism they are designed to put out and the temperamental even dangerous emotionalism they seem to exude over the silent masses.

If only they - animal welfarists of the PETA-kind - were really taking to task over this and the lies and the hearsay they make do for their arguments supporting their case.

14. grandelover1

grandelover1 Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any news this year for this zoo? Any developments? New species?

15. dublinlion

dublinlion Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Natgeo recently ran a series about this zoo called Backyard Zoo, filmed in 2010?. Its certainly entertaining but its easy to see how it would attract the odious and unwelcome attention of the anti zoo crowd. The couple who run it are eccentric and loud but there is no doubting their commitment to their animals. They also run a rescue centre for injured and/or neglected Wildlife and Domestics.
    The show itself seems a bit contrived and dramatic with lots of domestic disputes and luvy duvy stuff. They are real and fearless animal people who regularly risk life and limb jumping into alligator pools and kissing adult hyenas. In one scene Bud is cutting down massive trees in a bear enclosure and hes chain sawing the tree while looking over his shoulder at the bears and all the time the wife is nagging at him lol. Another scene shows a chicken straying into a Tiger pen and Bud running to the rescue with a broom to rescue the hen from the tigers jaws. Great stuff.
    The enclosures look pretty big and the woodland setting is great.
    I was so entertained by this show that I purchased Buds book on Kindle and am currently reading this and its is a decent read so far.

16. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

There are plans for a new primate complex, but it has not been released when this will open.

17. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Additionally while I was talking to the owners during my visit last year, they discussed a possible Safari area. The only species I can recall being mentioned are zebras and the jackals.

birdsandbats likes this.
  18. birdsandbats

birdsandbats Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Updates from my visit today:

• Lots of animals have been moved around or disappeared for no apparent reason. Some of the more notable missing animals included warthogs, zebras, cavies, Chimpanzee, kangaroo, and Black-Backed Jackal.
    • The Striped Hyenas are in the process of getting a new enclosure.
    • Two rescue Eurasian Brown Bears have arrived at the zoo.
    • A 4-month old female Spotted Hyena has arrived from another zoo.
    • Signs are still up about the need for a new hippo barn.
    • Many baby Domestic Goats were born.
    • A Domestic Cow was born.
    • Some construction is going on near the entrance. I didn't ask what it was, but it LOOKS like it MIGHT be a new primate complex.

Milwaukee Man likes this.
  19. marmolady

marmolady Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I worry about what might have become of that poor chimpanzee. I hope he's been given a home in a better facility.

20. EsserWarrior

EsserWarrior Well-Known Member 5+ year member

What species does the zoo all have?