Join our zoo community

Dierenpark Zie-ZOO Dierenpark Zie-ZOO News 2019

Discussion in 'Netherlands' started by Mr. Zootycoon, 2 Jan 2019.

1. Mr. Zootycoon

Mr. Zootycoon Well-Known Member 5+ year member

A flock of inca terns has arrived in Zie-Zoo. They can be seen in the little building within the aviary of the red-crowned cranes.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  2. pangolin12

pangolin12 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Does anyone have advice on seeing the viscachas, I should be visiting later on this year.

3. AWP

AWP Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The viscachas were the major no-show at my last visit, despite multiple visits to the enclosure that day. They are kept in the same cage row as Yucatan squirrels and Brazilian pygmy owls.

pangolin12 likes this.
  4. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Same for me - on my last visit ( Oct. 2018 ) I visited the cage of the Yucatan squirrels several times but with no succes. Later that day I asked also a keeper and she told me that they like to hide a lot but that in the afternoon the species shows itselfs regulary between 14.00 - 16.00 in the outdoor enclosure. In this time-span I again retured a few times but still no succes :(.

Kifaru Bwana and pangolin12 like this.
  5. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Welcome all to the club! This is also the time of day when I visited the park (and the first thing I did wen entered here is ask for the vizcachas!) and they were completely hidden in the multiple times that I had gio to its exhibit. I even missed the Yucatan squirrels too, that share the same enclosure. Probably becaude it was a rainy day (tough the exhibit is covered)

pangolin12 likes this.
  6. Mr. Zootycoon

Your best shot is peering throught the hole that leads to their indoor enclosure. Try a couple of times and you might be luckly. The hole is the upper one that can be seen from the pygmy owl aviary.

pangolin12 likes this.
  7. vogelcommando

- First-breeding at Zie-ZOO : a male lowland tapir was born
    - A still unknown number of American black bears born :).

KevinB, migdog and Mr. Zootycoon like this.
  8. vogelcommando

New animals from Germany and Poland :
    - 2 breeding pairs of Siberian weazel - will be housed behind the scenes for better results
    - 2 breeding pairs of Kowari's - Zie-ZOO already had this species but now they have a few more :)
    - 2 young Radiated tortoises

9. vogelcommando

Kifaru Bwana, Mr. Zootycoon and Ursus like this.
  10. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I hope this is the right place to post this, if not then please move this along.

I visited Zie-Zoo in Volkel, the Netherlands for the very first time yesterday and I had a pretty good zoo day there. I enjoyed the visit a lot and I'm quite glad to be able to add Zie-Zoo to my list of zoos I've seen.

Admittedly its a smaller zoo and they don't have huge, expensive immersive exhibits, and while their enclosures weren't always aesthetically pleasing, I personally found them to generally be adequate to fairly good for the animals, and I would say there were fairly few exhibits that were on the weak(er) side. They did have some exhibits and other displays in the park that were pretty weird, but I certainly felt it was a decent zoo and I'm quite happy to have discovered it.

I saw most of the rarer species that are currently on public display - the only two no-shows for me were the kowari (which would have been a new species for me) and the viscacha (which wasn't new to me) - and I can now add about half a dozen more species to my list of species I've seen (even though I don't actively keep that list). I have now also seen all of the large bear species as living specimens.

The young tapir and the young Bactrian camels were very cute and nice to see.

I found the staff at Zie-Zoo to all be very friendly and helpful, and they readily and spontaneously gave information to visitors (at the entrance, for example, or during the feeding presentations).

All in all I would say it is a nice smaller zoo with rarer species, that is still undergoing development (there was ongoing construction in several places at the zoo) and I think I will probably visit again in the future. I would also say it's a zoo that zoo lovers like us should definitely considering visiting.

I am going to try and post a photographic overview as well as an extensive review if I can find the time and energy to do so (which I sadly cannot really guarantee).

Last edited: 7 Apr 2019
  11. vogelcommando

At least 2 Short-eared elephant-shrews born at Zie-ZOO :).

12. Stefan Verhoeven

Stefan Verhoeven Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Visited this zoo today and for me it was the first time. The new addition to the back of the zoo is still work in progress, but most new exhibits have now animals in it. Some new aviary like buildings are empty at the moment. One of those are going to house the binturong that are now in another area.
    In general:
    - Nice group of dhole
    - The two maned wolfs were playing around
    - The 3 young American black bears were playing together all the time
    - The two clouded leopards were running around
    - Really nice collection of mongoose
    - Not so special, but I always like the bushdogs with their quirky build and their busy nature
    - Also missed the viscachas

The Inca terns were now together with the African pinguins.

Kifaru Bwana, Choco115 and KevinB like this.
  13. KevinB

Kowaris (Dasyuroides byrnei) born at Zie-Zoo.

Eeg Manders

AWP and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  14. KevinB

Sad news from Zie-Zoo park manager Eeg Manders today unfortunately. :(

Despite the best efforts of zoo staff to get all the animals through the extreme (40° Celcius) heat of the past days and keep them as comfortable as possible, juvenile South American tapir Joep (born February 2019) didn't make it and unexpectedly passed away last night.

Security Check Required

This is pretty sad and I really hope there aren't too many more victims of this heat in zoo collections.

15. Mr. Zootycoon

Some news from Zie-ZOO:
    - recent births include an alpaca, another litter of sengis, a guira cuckoo, bushdogs and a serval.
    - the enclosures for binturongs (seen), yellow-throated marten (seen) and siberian weasel (signed but not seen) are completed.
    - new construction has started on a mountainous area
    - New additions include humbold's penguins which, as far as I understand, are currently mixed with but will eventually replace the African penguins

16. Mr. Zootycoon

[​IMG]

As said by @KevinB: "Definitely one of the weakest exhibits at Zie-Zoo and one of the very few I would consider subpar."

In that case you may be glad to hear that this entire enclosure has been demolished, along with much of the adjacent wallaby enclosure. The red-necked wallabies, white peafowl and pigeons have left the collection, while the parma wallabies and wild-coloured peafowl have been replaced within the zoo. The former have joined the eastern grey kangaroos (replacing the red-necked wallabies there - there are no red-necked wallabies left in Zie-ZOO) while the latter have moved in with the red-crowned cranes.

The zoo has not yet announced what they will build here. The adjacent raccoon and waterfowl enclosures are still there, although the black swans in the waterfowl enclosure have been replaced with a larger group of red-necked geese. Things are moving fast in Zie-ZOO!

KevinB likes this.
  17. KevinB

I am glad to hear that Zie-Zoo is continuing to evolve and change and that they are gradually albeit fairly quickly replacing their weaker exhibits and constructing new ones.

I am definitely going to plan a repeat visit to Zie-Zoo somewhere next spring as so much has changed since my April 2019 visit. They are becoming a very nice small zoo.

18. Mr. Zootycoon

Not mentioned here yet but published on the zoo's facebook page: this autumn a litter of three (1.2) Tayras was born!

migdog likes this.