Join our zoo community

Distressed "Arabian Oryx" Spotted Running on a Highway in Dubai

Discussion in 'Wildlife & Nature Conservation' started by Smaggledagle, 25 Nov 2020.

1. Smaggledagle

Smaggledagle Well-Known Member

A resident from the UAE captured footage of an "Arabian oryx" running across the highway. It is not known where the antelope currently is, but a news report suggests that it has escaped into the desert.

Distressed Arabian Oryx Spotted Running On A Highway In Dubai

In my opinion, I've been using " " because I don't see how that is an Arabian Oryx. I see more of a desert or mountain gazelle than anything. Maybe the person capturing the footage was mistaken by its horns?

2. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

I don't think that is an Arabian oryx either, it looks far more like a gazelle in both the size / stature and the horns.

Going by the appearance I think it is most likely to be an Arabian sand gazelle (Gazella marica).

Whatever species it is though it is clearly terrified and this kind of footage really shows the juxtaposition of desert wildlife with the big megacities / urbanization of the Gulf states / countries.

Arizona Docent and Smaggledagle like this.
  3. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Three observations:
    A) It seems indeed from looking at the images to be an Arabian sand gazelle (Gazella marica).
    B) I am a bit shocked at the continued speeding, screaming by the passengers and honking from the car owner ..., which more than anything drives the gazelle further into the highway.
    C) There is an actual news feature if you double click and the image is of another Hippotraginae species. Joke for ignorance.

I know the desert area around Dubai over the years has been retaken by a resident population of Arabian gazelle (Gazella arabica). This population has always been there. In more recent years parts of plantations have been developed as de facto gazelle and oryx reserves and wildlife introduced from the private breeding facilities of the country's rulers. I am not sure if these exist on this part of the Dubai Highway though. I will have to check back on that.

4. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

Thats interesting @Kifaru Bwana , I definitely share your opinion that it is an Arabian sand gazelle.

Have to say I am definitely not shocked by the car passengers noise and general harrassment of the animal though.