Join our zoo community

Closed Do you use the maps?

Discussion in 'ZooChat Community & Website' started by kiang, 29 May 2010.

Tags:
  1. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Just wondered if you used the maps section here, powered by google earth, i found myself looking at the HWP view, and the available land next to it, thinking of plans i would put in place, as well as Blair Drummond sp, and an hour later thought i would ask the question.

2. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

Personnaly I have never used at all.

3. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I had not really noticed that section at all, until you mentioned it here. So now I have used it and I have a whole new way to waste time on the computer - thanks a lot :p.

If you look at the satelite map of Reid Park Zoo (USA), it shows very clearly the soccer field on the lower right where the new elephant exhibit will go.

4. Little Lion Man

Little Lion Man Well-Known Member

I've just used this and it has made me notice how old the images are on google earth. Take a look and London zoo for example.

5. SMR

SMR Well-Known Member

Have a look at the Microsoft maps via bing.com, they're often more recent. At the risk of even more time wasted, they have "Bird's Eye" perspective views too, often from all four points of the compass.

6. mstickmanp

mstickmanp Well-Known Member

I don't know if this is around the world, but some of the images have been updated by Google maps.

7. Meaghan Edwards

Meaghan Edwards Well-Known Member

Only if it's a zoo I haven't been to. Otherwise the setup is memorable to me.

8. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

Google are constantly updating their maps - it make take a while for a specific location to be updated, but it will happen eventually, particularly areas in or around major cities or tourist areas.

Now that I've got the GPS data for the zoos, it should be relatively easy to integrate with other mapping systems (Bing?) if they have an API I can use. Will add this to my ever-expanding todo list :rolleyes:

9. Goretex

Goretex Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I have traditionally done this sometimes as I make my entrance to the forums. I think they're a useful thing to have.:cool: