Join our zoo community

Georgia Aquarium Does Georgia Aquarium still have hammerheads?

Discussion in 'United States' started by Jena, 13 Jul 2018.

1. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

Hi, so I am very unsure about their hammerheads. I saw something online that georgia aquarium had hammerheads, and one died from crashing into a rock while trying to hunt. And the photo on their ocean voyager exhibit on the website shows a hammerhead in the pic. But they don't have it listed in their animal guide, I also heard that Georgia Aquarium is going to make a entire new exhibit featuring sharks, and one shark they are considering is Hammerheads. So not sure if they used to have them? And going to bring them back? (kind of like what Omaha Zoo did with their elephants?). So does anyone know if they still have them?

2. Okapipako

Okapipako Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Hammerheads were indeed present in the Ocean Voyager tank up until a few years ago I believe, but no longer. I know they were eating rays and other tank mates on occasion, so they may have been removed due to this. The upcoming shark exhibit could also have been a factor.

Jena likes this.
  3. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

okay thanks! That's what I wanted to know. I didn't know if they were removed or not because there wasn't any articles about it that I could find. Darn won't see them then on my trip. But at least the whale sharks and manta rays will be there. Which I am going to swim with them I am excited for that.