Join our zoo community

Doha Zoo

Discussion in 'Qatar' started by siamang27, 20 Apr 2009.

1. siamang27

siamang27 Well-Known Member

This is the only real zoo in Qatar. It's not terrible, but it could be better.

I don't have any pics so this comes from memory. Admition is very cheap - less than a dollar for 1 person. When you enter the first thing you see is an enclosure for 2 chimpanzees, then a lake with many waterfowl. There were many wild birds around this area like Rose-ringed Parakeets and Common Mynahs.

The big cat cages are probably the worst thing here. They are small and the cats aren't very active except for the tiger who would roar about every 5 minutes.
    The baboons and capuchins are in large groups and very active. They also have macaques and vervet monkeys in the same area along with more chimps. Next are a few galliformes birds and from then on the next few cages house hoofstock (don't remember any species but I think they had some kind of gazelle and barbary sheep along with elephants).

Right here my memory isn't very good, I think there was a tunnel with some nocturnal and small mammals (probably from Africa, as most of the animals are from there).

The last thing there is is a bird section with parrots, pheasants, toucans and a few others I don't remember.

I read reviews of the zoo that said people often teased and fed the animals, but this didn't happen both times that I was there. Then again only a few people were there besides us.

Partial Species List

Chimpanzee
    Greater Flamingo
    Rosybill
    Philippine Duck
    Cape Shelduck
    Greylag Goose
    Bar-headed Goose
    Egyptian Goose
    Helmeted Guineafowl
    Lion
    Jaguar
    Tiger
    Vervet Monkey
    Hamadryas Baboon
    Rhesus Macaque
    Japanese Macaque
    Black-capped Capuchin
    Ring-necked Dove
    Vulturine Guineafowl
    Peafowl
    African Gray Parrot
    Scarlet Macaw
    Blue-and-yellow Macaw
    Silver Pheasant
    Toucan

I know this list is incomplete and there were many more waterfowl and hoofstock but I don't remember everything.

2. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I just finished watching a show on PBS (American public television) about breeding of very rare species in captivity. It showed a private breeding center in Qatar, run by a sheikh, with some of the rarest birds in the world, including a large group of Spix's macaws (extinct in the wild). Too bad the zoo doesn't seem to measure up to this excellent private center.

3. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

4. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member