Join our zoo community

Don't tell me, show me

Discussion in 'ZooChat Community & Website' started by Simon Hampel, 25 Jan 2022.

1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

Of late there has been a noticeable increase in new threads being created making announcements about plans that people have to create something (a thread, a zoo design, a book, etc).

This happened fairly frequently in the Speculative Zoos forum - but has also happened in other parts of the site recently too.

A lot of these types of threads follow the pattern: "I'm going to do something. Give me some ideas about it".

I don't know whether this is a generational thing or a side effect of modern social media - but to me, making a grand announcement of this nature means exactly nothing and seems to be more about trying to attract attention.

More specifically, there is no thought or content actually created to start. It's just an announcement and a call for ideas. It's quite obvious that the poster has not put any effort in to the idea or design or content themselves.

I don't think threads like this add value to the site and they will likely be deleted.

I have no problem with people asking for genuine advice. For example - planning a trip to a place you've not been - it's quite reasonable to ask for advice and ideas. But you still need to have put some thought into what you intend to do first, so that people can advise you on what will work and what won't.

It's like the difference between two trip planning threads:

"I'm planning a trip to the UK where I want to visit at least 20 zoos. I'm looking for ideas for an interary - please post here" ​

... this adds nothing whatsoever and it's obvious that the poster has not put any thought or effort into their plans.

Compared to:

"I'm planning a trip to the UK where I would like to visit the following zoos:

{list of zoos}

... my rough itinerary is as follows - I would appreciate any comments or suggestions on whether this is realistic:

{planned itinerary}

{further discussion}"​

Do you see the difference? The first one has no content at all - just hopes and wishes and an expectation that other people will contribute to a discussion. The second one has had some thought and effort put into it first - and then asks for advice and discussion about the ideas presented.

This concept also applies to other topics. Instead of making an announcement about a thread you intend to create - just go ahead and create the thread and then solicit feedback on your ideas or content.

Don't tell me. Show me.

Put some thought and effort in first.

2. Pantheraman

Pantheraman Well-Known Member

What if I were to put on the thread my latest Wattpad work? (Believe me, that thing was a pain in the beehind to make) along with my future plans? To show what I've done so far?

3. Simon Hampel

If there's actual content in a thread, that's fine. I have much more of a problem with content-less threads, of which there seem to have been quite a few lately.

I will also note that you need to be careful of the self-promotion rules.

4. Pantheraman

Pantheraman Well-Known Member

Looked through those rules, where exactly are the introduction forums?

5. Simon Hampel

Immediately above this one:

upload_2022-1-26_10-2-33.png

New Member Introductions