Join our zoo community

Zoo Dortmund Dortmund zoo news

Discussion in 'Germany' started by kiang, 16 Dec 2009.

1. ralph

ralph Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Does anyone know when the Amazonashaus and the Regenwaldhaus will reopen?
    I'm planning a trip to this part of Germany, but I might switch out Dortmund for another zoo if these parts of the zoos are not accessible

2. JoJo22

JoJo22 Well-Known Member

There has been no date given, both of them have been continuously closed for over two years now. Dortmund had very strict covid rules compared to other zoos I know from the beginning, and the official reason is still that not enough air circulation can be given inside. Honestly, I'm starting to doubt the Amazonashaus is going to reopen at all before they demolish it at some point...

3. JurassicMax

JurassicMax Well-Known Member

Recently 2 Western pygmy marmosets (Cebuella pygmaea pygmaea) were born, the group in the Amazonas-Haus now consists of 1,2,10 animals!

Source:
    Instagram of Zoo Dortmund (14/06/2022) Login • Instagram

JoJo22 likes this.
  4. JurassicMax

On the 28th of April a Linnaeus' two-toed sloth (Choloepus didactylus) was born to female Hexe (25/09/1997) this is already her 12th young.

Source:
    Instagram of Zoo Dortmund (18/06/2022) Login • Instagram

JoJo22 and Haliaeetus like this.
  5. JoJo22

JoJo22 Well-Known Member

Already back in April, a six-banded armadillo (Euphractus sexcinctus) was born. Due to this the Otterhaus has been closed off since then to give the mother and young some privacy.
    Source: Facebook

Haliaeetus and JurassicMax like this.
  6. JoJo22

JoJo22 Well-Known Member

In the night between Monday and Tuesday, the female green anaconda (Eunectes murinus) "Josefine" has given birth to nine young. They are being raised behind the scenes now. This is also a first breeding for Zoo Dortmund.

JurassicMax and Haliaeetus like this.
  7. JurassicMax

Last weekend female Hexe, her young and male Flori have moved to the Tamandua-haus so they are now visible to the public.

Source;
    Instagram of Zoo Dortmund (04/07/2022) Login • Instagram

8. Mehdi

Mehdi Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Saw them today!

9. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

On June 23 a Goliath heron hatched at the zoo. This is the first time this species bred at Dortmund. At the end of May the female had laid 3 eggs in a nest on the ground but 2 of the eggs proofed to be infirtile. Luckily the third hatched and is now being raised by its parents.

JoJo22, JurassicMax and Haliaeetus like this.
  10. ralph

I did see one of the herons on their nest last thursday, I had no idea there was a chick though! Great news!

Some updates on the current status of Zoo Dortmund as well as some thoughts. My last visit was in 2012 and the zoo has had some changes since.
    - Amazon House closed, the official reason stated being covid. Only the marmosets and tamarins are visibile in their outdoor enclosures, all other species are not visible. The state of this building seems to be pretty bad (judging of course only from the exterior) and I wonder if this building is going to be closed permanently.
    - Rumah hutan (Orang utan House) is closed, also due to covid. The orangs and tapirs can be viewed in their outdoor enclosures, the other species (eg shama, pygmy loris) are not visible.
    - There's a large construction site at the north part of the zoo, where a new sea lion pool is being build at the moment, which was a much needed upgrade. As of now, the sea lions and fur seals are being kept in the former giant otter enclosure, where they have little space to move around (especially the fur seals who have only a few meters of swimming surface). Luckily this is only temporarily.
    - With the giant otters gone (a real shame, they were iconic to the zoo imo) the small-clawed otters have now inhabitated their former indoor enclosure. They do not have outdoor access anymore. Their previous enclosure now houses armadillos, but only indoors and the former small-clowed otter outdoor enclosure is empty.
    - The former spectacled bear enclosure is still empty (the bears left the collection). A new enclosure is planned, but I assume construction will start after the completion of the new sea lion enclosure / gathering of funding.
    - More construction works at the South American paddock. The tapirs and capibaras are still visible, but the maned wolves are currently behind the scenes. Not sure what is happening here, but there was some sort of building being constructed (possibly new indoor enclosures)
    - Even more construction works at the serval/bat-eared fox enclosures. The path was fenced off so I don't know what's exactly gonna happen here. The servals and foxes are currently not visible.
    - The jaguarundi enclosure is currently empty, and signage says it's being made ready for new inhabitants but it does not state if those will be new jaguarundis or another species. Of the four other small cat enclosures, one is empty as well (the other 3 all have oncilla)
    - The new fennec fox enclosure in the giraffe house is pretty simple, but it is spacious. Didn't see the fennec. Also the terrarium in the Giraffe House is empty at the moment (held false cobra previously)
    - Two of the walk-through enclosures (owls and ibis) are closed, but the animals are visible. Not sure why, but I suspect because of bird flu. The Australian walk-through aviary is open.

All in all, a lot of the zoo is currently closed or in development, which defenitely makes this not the best time for a visit. But at least the zoo is honest in this, and communicates it well. It also offers a discount of the entrance fee, and I think 7 euros is very fair for what it still offers.

I'm excited to see where this zoo is going in the future. Some improvements have already been made since my last visit (most significally the tigers having left the collection and the lion enclosure no longer having a moat, increasing the lions living space). All the empty enclosures and construction works are a nuisance right now, but they're all working on improving the zoo which is always a good thing.

11. Mehdi

Mehdi Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Visited only a few days before you (the 5th of July) and I had the same remarks. Definitely seems like a great medium-sized zoo but I couldn't enjoy it in all its splendour because of all the construction works and houses closed. Though that is also a reason I visited the zoo because I was trying to combine a zoo with Wuppertal and the fact that it took me only 2h30 to tour it because of all the house closures made it way easier for me to do so (would've been impossible otherwise as I got out right as the zoo closed).

I did wonder where the giant otters were gone! I did see the ASCOs in their exhibit and was pondering whether that was always like this. I thought I had simply missed them. Sad to hear that they're gone, their house is much better fit for and much more interesting with Giant otters.

Oh and the lynx exhibit (as well as the red deer one) is truly world class. You don't realise how big it is until you see it in real life.

JoJo22 likes this.
  12. MennoPebesma

MennoPebesma Well-Known Member

As soon as the new enclosure for the sea lions and fur seals is ready, giant otters will return to the zoo in the giant otter enclosure.

Mehdi likes this.
  13. ralph

Oops. I know I forgot something.
    Yes, the lynx enclosure. Add that one to the list of 'currently empty'.

Glad to hear the giant otters will return. They might just be my favorite mammal species ever.

Mehdi likes this.
  14. JoJo22

JoJo22 Well-Known Member

Nice to hear you enjoyed your visit regardless. I also liked the zoo alot in the past, but visiting it now can be a bit disappointing. When it all finishes, though, I'm really looking forward to it again.

Maybe I can help with some of the questions:

The house has gotten a bit old, though still functional. It's been clear that it will be demolished and a new one will be build for quite a while now, just don't know if it will reopen before that.

As it was already said, this will basically be back to normal again once the new seal enclosure is done. Relly miss the giant otters, too.

Has been like this for quite a while now. There are also new enclosures for kinkajou and coati (if I remember correctly) planned in the area.

Yes, it's new stables for the tapirs and such.

They are still building the tortoise house for spurred tortoises which should live together with the foxes. Construction has been going on for a real while now...

Don't know about the jaguarundis unfortunately, was the same way on my last visit.

JurassicMax likes this.
  15. ralph

Thanks!

I do hope the jaguarundi returns as a species. I love Zoo Dortmund's focus on South American fauna. Also would love to see the margay, bush dog and peccary make a return at some point.

16. JurassicMax

Already 6 Roseate spoonbills (Platalea ajaja) have hatched this year!

Source:
    Instagram of Zoo Dortmund (10/07/2022) Login • Instagram

JoJo22 likes this.
  17. JoJo22

JoJo22 Well-Known Member

Yes, I like that too. The peccaries left because keeping them was never succesful in the enclosure. Margays and bush dog would be nice to have againm especially after there aren't many small cats left now...

ralph likes this.
  18. JurassicMax

Recently a mostly blind female Pygmy slow loris (Xanthonycticebus pygmaeus) arrived at the zoo, she had been confiscated last year in Kassel.

Source:
    Instagram of Zoo Dortmund (20/07/2022) Login • Instagram

Gil and JoJo22 like this.
  19. JoJo22

JoJo22 Well-Known Member

On early June 7th, four bat-eared foxes (Otocyon megalotis) were born. It's the pair's first offspring, the female had only arrived from Magdeburg in February, the male arrived from Beauval/France in 2021. Unfortunately, they still cannot be seen due to construction work in the area.

ralph and JurassicMax like this.
  20. JurassicMax

On the 21st of July a female Sumatran orangutan (Pongo abelii) was born to female Suma, the father is Walter. This is the first young Suma is raising. In April 2017, she had a stillbirth that required the dead cub to be delivered by caesarean section.

Source:
    Instagram of Zoo Dortmund (10/08/20220

JoJo22 likes this.