Join our zoo community

Drills

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Writhedhornbill, 8 Jun 2007.

1. Writhedhornbill

Writhedhornbill Well-Known Member

In the UK there are only 2 groups of this monkey. One in Edinburgh and one at Port lypme. What other zoos hold the species?

2. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Germany: Hannover, Wuppertal, Saarbrücken
    France: St. Martin La Pleine
    Spain: Barcelona

3. Writhedhornbill

Don't Stuggart have some? I thought that Edinburgh and Port Lympe got theirs from them.

4. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

So first you tell Fodders to check ISIS and then you ask this? funny :p

afaik all european zoos that hold Drill's are on it, which includes Stuttgart.

5. Writhedhornbill

Well, Now I've realised that there are lots of German/dutch zoos that aren't ISIS registered, so it's good to ask people who live in the area. I have also Checked ISIS!!!

6. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Don't worry just messing with ya :p

All dutch zoo's that are member of the dutch zoo association are registered on ISIS, which isn't a large surprise given that the EAZA was founded in coörperation with almost all dutch zoos and it resides in Amsterdam. Many german zoos are still not, though most of the large ones (xept probably east-berlin and Birdpark Walsrode) are.

7. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Sorry, I forgot Stuttgart. The drills in Edinburgh are from Barcelona, though.

8. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Stuttgart had about eight, but sent a group of five to Port Lympne, comprising an adult male Gorbi, female Bibundi, two female offspring of this pair, plus a young castrated male(Kassala). Last February Bibundi produced another female offspring, the first born in the Uk for forty years (last previous birth was at Painton Zoo)

Stuttgart retained a trio for further breeding. As Yassa said, the Edinburgh ones are from Barcelona. Hanover have the largest group, have bred by far the most offspring and are the EEP studbook holder.There have been a number of exchanges of aniamls between Hanover, Barcelona and Stuttgart.

There are a few zoos with Drills in the USA- Atlanta, Columbus, also possibly Philadelphia and San Diego?

9. Writhedhornbill

No drills are registered at San diego by ISIS

10. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Okay, but I think I saw them at both San Diego and(definately) Philadelphia when I visited many years ago. Atlanta has the largest group( Nine or more) in USA but for some reason at least until recently, only one pair was breeding. They think the other females may be supressed by the alpha female. Rsearch on drill group dynamics has shown that when females are related to each other, the alpha female will tolerate her daughters' offspring in the group, but if the females are unrelated, there will be a lot of bullying of the subordinate females, and the alpha female will try to kill any offspring which are not her own.

Stuttgart sent to Port Lympne a related female group- one adult female and her own two daughters- so future breeding should be harmonious.