Join our zoo community

Dublin Zoo Dublin Zoo Elephants

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by Bongo, 14 Jun 2007.

1. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

2. Pertinax

That's very interesting account of the Cricket St Thomas elephant era. I missed out on most of that and its quite an eye-opener. I do have a postcard somewhere of the elephants down by one of the Lakes.

The 'Mr Blobby' themepark idea fell flat on its face. Nowadays Cricket St Thomas has a rather 'genteel' feel about it,- its owned by Warners the holiday people and the Mansion is a hotel/health resort. The animal collection seems to still grow slowly a bit each year but it has never been remarkable to my mind. Yet they have a superb location with the chain of lakes running through the valley.

3. Hadley

Hadley Well-Known Member

The elephant cows were often photographed in the car park or in the valley for promotional material, but they were never housed in a grass paddock. For many years the enclosure was quite literally a pit, near to the entrance. The second enclosure was a smallish sand paddock the other side of the walled garden, and it was here that the failed attempt to keep a bull occurred.

That's good news about the Belfast elephants, if only they would stop keeping them altogether....

4. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Yassa,

Do you know the timeframe for this upcoming move of Jothi+Vishsesh? Do you know which facility they would go to (Woburn?)?
    Any plans for Belfast to redevelop their elephant exhibit when they move out?

Coming back to Judy and Kristy: both came via Dublin Zoo to Neunkirchen. Current policy within the EEP is to have older non-reproductive cows also moved in pairs to non-breeding locations.

The Cricket St. Thomas elephants: Sahib/Fridolin died 1994 (only moved in in 1991), female Shiva died 1993 (at only 21 after only a year residing at Chard) and female Millie died 1996 (at only 25). The other females were moved out in 1999: females Toto (47, removed to Valwo, Valladolid in 2004), Nika (41, died 12/1999) and Chikky (39).

5. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I don`t know a time frame but I hope the transfer will happen this year. I don`t think Woburn is already in the position to take new females since the new facilities are not yet finished (I am not even sure if they have started building...) and the old barn is never big enough for 2 more elephants. No idea about plans in Belfast to redevelop the elephant exhibit.

6. Pertinax

If they are to stay in UK, the only options are Dublin, Chester, Woburn or Whipsnade. (Of course they could go elsewhere in Europe too.)

Of these four collections, its possible only Whipsnade would currently have room to take them?

7. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

i know i started the thread on woburn based on a photo from flickr, but does anyone know for certain if they have started the new elephant centre yet, or was this maybe the african ungulate centre in the background or some other new building.

8. Bongo

Bongo Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I recently visited Dublin Zoo and was given a behind the scenes tour of the Elephant exhibit by a member of staff. There approach to design and husbandry are amazing. For part of the design they used the firm Jones and Jones who have done a lot of work with San Diego.
    I will post photo's soon.

9. dragon(ele)nerd

dragon(ele)nerd Well-Known Member

In the article of Yasmin's birth i read the zoo is looking for a new bull does anyone know what bull? I haven't been able to find anything!

10. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

i would suggest that they build a house to house the Bull before they get one.

11. dragon(ele)nerd

Haven't they already?

12. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

No the house they built is to house the females and calves the bull pen is going to be built at the other end of the paddock to that house,last i heard they were not even sure when it would be started.

13. Bongo

Bongo Well-Known Member 15+ year member

When I had a tour of the exhibit I was told that there were going to wait until the newborn elephants were older until they bought in a male.

14. dragon(ele)nerd

Thank you Bongo and zoogiraffe for that information. Either way i would be extremly happry to see a bull in Dublin zoo.

15. dragon(ele)nerd

I lost in the Dublin zoo elephant naming contest oh well. I knew that they would choose a local it's not a bad name "Budi" apparently the kid says it means "wise one" in Indoesian. my parents are chinese-malay and my dad says that Budi actually in direct translation means knowledge or Brain then again Bahasa Indoesian and Malay and different.

16. ger68

ger68 Member

Dublin zoo bull hse

Hi, my name is Gerry creighton im the team leader here in Dublin zoo,work will begin next year on our bull house hopefully the bull will arrive in 2010

17. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Hi Gerry, Have you got a bull ear marked for the zoo yet or are you looking around at this time

18. ger68

ger68 Member

bull elephant

Hi Mark,i was at the recent Eaza meeting in Antwerp and it was recomened the the bull Hussain come here from Hamburg thats subject to them getting a replacement proven bull.

19. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

So he would be a proven breeding bull right?, Whats the make up of the Dublin herd at this time

20. ger68

ger68 Member

bull elephant

Hi Mark,hussain has produced 12 calves 6male 6female in hamburg he is a wild caught male so he is very important in europe,our herd now consists of 5 elephants all related,dina at 23 is the matriarch and mother to 17 month old asha a female jasmine her sister is 17 two of her offspring are also here 5year old anak a female and budi her 7 month old bull calf,so we are lucky to have such good herd dynamics,if you send me on your e.mail il be happy to send you some pictures of the elephants and their new habitate.