Join our zoo community

Dublin Zoo Dublin Zoo news thread

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by kiang, 12 Apr 2015.

1. cmrButton5

cmrButton5 Well-Known Member

Congrats to all at the zoo. I see they are holding a naming contest. Have they announced the name of the female calf born in March yet?

2. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Bernhardine's calf is called Zinda (Hindi name, meaning alive)

3. cmrButton5

Wasn't Zinda the calf born last September though or am I just getting myself confused? I could have sworn another female has been born since then. I could just be imagining that though!

4. ArboLowe

ArboLowe Well-Known Member

In September 2016, Asha who was born at the Zoo had her first calve who was named Zinda. In March a female calve was born to Bernhadine who is yet to be officially named. The herd is Upali, Bernhardine, Yasmin, Anak, Asha and the calves Kavi, Ashoka, Samiya, Zinda and the two 2017 births.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  5. cmrButton5

That's what I thought so I wasn't imagining things! Thanks for clarifying

6. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The baby has been named 'Kabir'

ArboLowe likes this.
  7. AthleticBinturong

AthleticBinturong Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Is it just me or does anyone else find the zoo tv series underwhelming when compared to Chester's and channel 4's secret life of the zoo?

8. Nisha

.. And Dina's calf from earlier in the year has been called "Avani"

ArboLowe and MagpieGoose like this.
  9. ArboLowe

Yeah this season wasn't great. Last episode was only one I really enjoyed. Every episode nearly had a conversation programme they support. Suppose this shows what a modern day zoo does but two episodes featured the hedgehog rescue.. And every episode nearly had something a vet was doing so all episodes were very similar.

AthleticBinturong likes this.
  10. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Zoorassic world;

[​IMG]

11. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member 5+ year member

So since it looks like a lot of the reptiles and amphibians in the zoo's collection will move here, what will happen to the reptile house?

12. dublinlion

dublinlion Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The soon to be empty reptile house was built in 1870 as an aquarium and later adapted to hold reptiles. The exterior has remained pretty much the same since then, with a small extension added to the back a few years ago. So heritage laws make any major restructuring very difficult. The most likely future use would be to continue to hold some surplus reptiles/amphibians or to create a nocturnal house, but my guess is that it might be closed up and used for off show or sick animals.

The new Zoorassic house was where most of the Zoos birds were kept, so it will be interesting to see where these end up. If they leave it will reduce the bird collection down to about ten species.
    Maybe the holding of birds is becoming too problematic with the recurring bird flu breakouts around the world, and some zoos are tiring of the extra precautions and hassle required, each time the news media blow these events up.

13. ArboLowe

A bat house like one that the zoo used to have. Considering the bats who lived in the Roberts house are loosing their home would be a good idea

14. MagpieGoose

15. mintydyson

mintydyson Member

What do you guys think will be the next major update in Dublin zoo. My guess would be the tigers or snow leopards, the east side of the african plains still needs to be done. I feel Zoorassic World was the perfect update because it focuses mainly on education which is what modern zoos need now.

16. Loxodonta Cobra

Loxodonta Cobra Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I think the next update needs to be the hippopotamus. Compared to the other megafauna on the African Plains, their exhibit is one of the blandest in the whole zoo. And the fact that there's no indoor viewing for them during the winter is a bust. Something like Cologne or Berlin zoo's hippo houses I feel would be a great addition to Dublin Zoo, as it could underwater-viewing such as like whats been created in the sea lions, and potentially become home to many new species for the zoo.

Have to admit, I feel disappointed with Zoorassic World. I've been rooting for a new reptile house at Dublin Zoo for some time, but also wanting the zoo to branch out and get more reptile and amphibian species to put in it. Zoorassic World is great as a new reptile house, and it's cool that it's all about the evolution aspect of reptiles, but it doesn't bring very little new or amazing in terms of live animal species. I've thought of this before about Dublin Zoo's reptile collection: in my opinion, every species aside from the crocodiles can essentially be ordered at any good pet store.

New species wise, Dublin just needs a bear and marsupial species, and they're one of the most ABC species centered collections I've ever seen. According to Zootierliste, giant pandas, both species of black bears, and polar bears lived at Dublin. Is there an enclosure between the tigers and wolves? Because if so, then I would either have sun/sloth bears near the entrence next too the lions, or a larger species of bear such as spectacled or Asiatic blacks to go with their temperate forest neighbors. If a new house could be built for them, I think either koalas or a tree kangaroo species would be a wonderful addition to Dublin, as I don't know if they have the land space for ground-dwelling kangaroos.

17. AthleticBinturong

AthleticBinturong Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Couldn't agree more I feel as though Dublin are going to go down the route of Giant Pandas, it just seems to be the way the collection is moving with Zoorassic world and all. As for the koalas maybe the reptile house could be refurbished as a koala exhibit with outdoor space being built out onto the lawn.

18. Nisha

Female Bornean Orangutan, Sari (aged 8) is due to be transferred from Barcelona to Dublin shortly

Gigit likes this.
  19. MagpieGoose

Her father was born at Dublin to current male Sibu and female Leonie.

20. Nisha

They'll likely be exchanging males at a later date then..