Join our zoo community

Dublin Zoo Dublin Zoo news thread

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by kiang, 12 Apr 2015.

1. dublinlion

dublinlion Well-Known Member 10+ year member

New series of "The Zoo" starts next Sunday. Hope they show more actual footage of the animals, bird and ecotherms, as the format for these shows needs something fresh .As Dublin's collection is now so reduced, I would like to see Fota featured at times as they have some nice species.

ArboLowe likes this.
  2. ArboLowe

ArboLowe Well-Known Member

Summary of tonight's episode of the zoo: Asha (Elephant) intentially did not let her first calve Zinda feed and she had to be bottle fed through the barrier but remained with the herd. It did not say how low she was bottle fed for. The gorilla orphans Tebogo and Vanas arrival from stuggart was shown and next weeks episode will show their introduction to the troop. And finally the more recent event of Sari the orangutans arrival from Barcelona.Sibu was shown videos of her on a large tv before she arrived.

3. ArboLowe

Two bits of news I seen on instagram. A female red ruffed lemur who was born in the zoo in September 2016 has been transferred to Madagascar along with a male from France to form the beginning of a zoo breeding programme in Madagascar. The zoo also confirmed they are home to three okapis. I know two are male but unsure about last years arrival.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  4. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Dublin will receive a nine year old male Western Lowland Gorilla called 'Bangui' from Zoo de La Palmyre. La Palmyre state that he will become the new silverback.

Kifaru Bwana, ArboLowe and Gigit like this.
  5. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Bangui is already proven, he apparently fathered the 2 year old male at La Palmyre while he was only 6/7 years old, rather than the group silverback Nyuki.

Kifaru Bwana and ArboLowe like this.
  6. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Blackbuck at Dublin; a few questions;

1. Does Dublin still keep Blackbuck? ( I think I saw them with/near Elelphants?)

2. How many and are they still breeding them?.

3. Any idea of when they first got them and origins?

7. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

Pertinax likes this.
  8. dublinlion

@Pertinax, yes the blackbuck still share the elephant enclosure. I saw 4 or 5 females and doubt if they want this to increase this number. It is gas watching (inside the house) the tiny baby elephants mock charging the antelope who are scarcely bothered.

Pertinax likes this.
  9. ArboLowe

10. ArboLowe

Interesting episode tonight. Matriarch Bernadine showed no interest in her calf Avani (March'17) when she was born. Surprisingly she was fostered by first time mother Asha who already had 6 month Zinda to fed until she couldn't substain producing milk for the two. Avani finally accepted being bottle fed after Asha stopped letting her feed. The two calves have since become inseparable. Also on the episode was the introduction of Amur tiger Tubdra to resident male Max. And rhino calves Zukos first time outside with the herd.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  11. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Ah well, ... at least elephant mother Bernardine's calf Avani did have the critical milk bar of its own species (even if it lacks the vital colostrum ...) before shifting to artificial milk sources. I wonder what brought the experienced female to reject her calf ... though!?!

12. zoofanbelgium

zoofanbelgium Well-Known Member 10+ year member

About the tigers: on the internet I found that Amur tiger Tundra joined male Ussuri and female Zeya. Is Ussuri bene renamd to max and what happened to the sister of Zeya named Shilka?

13. cmrButton5

cmrButton5 Well-Known Member

According to posts today on the Zoo’s social media accounts he has arrived and is settling in nicely

ArboLowe and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  14. cmrButton5

cmrButton5 Well-Known Member

I am in the UK and couldn’t get this to work for me ☹️. Just got a message saying it was unavailable in my region

15. Crowthorne

Crowthorne Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Content is blocked in the UK. Shame, would really like to see this series

16. ArboLowe

Looked it up and you have to download the rte player app and then it should work :)

Crowthorne likes this.
  17. ArboLowe

Yes ussuri seems to have been renamed max. He was only referred to as Ussuri once or twice in the episode.

18. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Elephants - Anak's new calf has been named Sanjay. Meaning Victorious in Indonesian

19. ArboLowe

A new red panda has joined Jasmine, 10 month old male N’mai recently arrived from Highland’s Wildlife Park in Scotland and is settling in well.

20. dublinlion

There is major construction work around where the old reptile house is/was, there is a sign saying its a new 'Animal Encounters Centre'.

ArboLowe likes this.