Join our zoo community

Dublin Zoo Dublin Zoo's Cats

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by zootiger, 12 Jun 2011.

Tags:
  1. zootiger

zootiger Well-Known Member

At Dublin Zoo there is a section called Cat World. Does anyone know what species of cat live there. The website only mentions big cats at Dublin, are there any small cats???:confused:

2. Stefka

Stefka Well-Known Member

Not really... They have Sumateran and Amur tigers, Snow Leopards and one old lioness... That´s it. But they do have Amur Leopards, Mountain Lions, Ocelot, Fishing Cats and Jaguarundi in Tayto Park, which is about 20 minutes by car from Dublin.

3. IanRRobinson

IanRRobinson Well-Known Member

What do you imagine Dublin will do when their elderly lioness passes away? And do they plan to keep two Tiger subspecies in the long run, or use one enclosure for something else?

4. Stefka

Stefka Well-Known Member

I´m quoting from Dublin Zoo annual:

5. Stefka

Stefka Well-Known Member

I don´t know her history or how old she is, but when you see her, you can´t help it, you just have to feel sorry for her. Since I´ve watched the "Last Lioness" I get very emotional when facing a lonesome lion... Damn you, National Geographic! :)

Does anybody here have more information about her?

6. dublinlion

dublinlion Well-Known Member 10+ year member

the african lioness is over 20 years old and has been alone for a few years now. they have asian lions being held by another zoo/zoos (cant remember which) to replace her when she eventually dies. seemingly rules state that african and asian lions cant be held at the same facility.

@ian. the amur tigers (non breeding) are part of the fringe of the arctic theme and the sumatran are in world of cats so this restricts the movement of species somewhat. since the exit of the polar bears the amur tiger moved to their enclosure and an arctic fox was put in the huge (with pool/waterfall) tiger exhibit. also in recent years dublin has been very reluctant to exhibit any new species and concentrates on improving enclosures for existing stock.

7. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

Would Asian lions go in the current lion enclosure? I ask as that is in the African section of the zoo and I think it wouldn't help with any educational messages about Asian lions.

8. dublinlion

dublinlion Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I believe that is the plan but there are alternatives such as the former jaguar pen or the arctic fox area?
    although it has its merits I sometimes think geographic theming can be restrictive and dos'nt always serve the best interests of the animals.

9. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

Very true.

10. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Dublin had 0:3 Asian Lions in holding for them at Rotterdam (they transfered from there birthplace at Magdeburg in November 2009) and back then the old African Lioness was predicted to be on her last legs and it was expected that she would have died by now. As has already been mentioend the EEP won't allow any collections to hold both African and Asian Lions. Unfortunatly this year time ran out for Dublin, Rotterdam needed the space for something else and the studbook keeper assigned the females to Chester (0:2) and Ostrava (0:1)

If Dublin still want Asian Lion they will have to apply for new individuals (they are plenty avaliable though)

11. Stefka

Stefka Well-Known Member

Just copying from the Dublin Zoo News thread.