Join our zoo community

Dudley Zoological Gardens Dudley Zoological Gardens in 2014

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Nisha, 11 Jan 2014.

1. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member 10+ year member

New reptiles

There have been five new arrivals in the reptile house - a female Madagascan tree boa, a male Solomon Island ground boa, a female San Francisco garter snake and two female prehensile tailed skinks.

A further three new young Jamaican boas remain off show, with keepers hoping to introduce them to the main house in the coming months.

Reptile stock boost | Dudley Zoological Gardens

And the lynx cubs have been named Daphne, Dick and Dom.

2. Benosaurus

Benosaurus Well-Known Member 10+ year member

A short video on the restoration of the 1937 Entrance/Shop Tecton (taken July 2014)

rileyphotos

3. Angel

Roul roul partridge & red-crested turaco chicks born

Five roul roul partridge and two red-crested chicks have been born. The roul rouls have hatched in an incubator, after the hen failed to sit on the eggs, while the turacos have been successfully reared by their parents in the triple aviaries.

The chicks will be transferred to other collections in the coming months.

Keepers welcome new chicks | Dudley Zoological Gardens

4. Angel

Visit 16th September

Really enjoyed my visit today - car park looked really full but the zoo itself didn't seem that busy.

The adult snow leopards were still separated - one asleep inside and one asleep outside; no sign of Makalu either inside or out.

The lynx cubs were very visible in the morning - having a great time exploring the enclosure. Bart (Geoffroy's cat) was also very active - probably the most active I've ever seen him. :D Kito (baby giraffe) was also very exuberant, racing round the enclosure.

The reptile house looks to be more occupied than previously but not all the enclosures had signs up to tell you what the occupants were :(.

One of the ring-tailed lemurs in the small primate house has twin babies - very sweet. I had a frustrating game of hide and seek with Billie, the baby Gelada, who kept peeping out from behind his mother for a fraction of a second then hiding back behind her before I could press the shutter.

The bear ravine and kiosk are still covered in scaffolding but look to be much cleaner than on my last visit in June and a lot of the exposed metalwork on bear ravine appears to have been covered.

And I was fortunate enough to see 2 red squirrels :D

5. lamna

lamna Well-Known Member

I don't believe in red squirrels anymore. Didn't see one in 13 trips over a year.

A pity you missed Makalu, he was always climbing the walls when I saw him.

6. Angel

Two new male red squirrels have arrived at DZG from Merseyside. The four-month boys are part of a major conservation programme for the endangered native species and have quickly settled in to their new home.

Curator Matt Lewis, said: “The boys are a beautiful, bright red colour with bushy tails and seem to be very active; playfully appearing when keepers go in to feed them each day.”

Welcome, squirrel boys! | Dudley Zoological Gardens

Hope you will be lucky next time you visit, Lamna :)

7. Angel

8. Angel

9. lamna

lamna Well-Known Member

Went today and I actually saw the Red Squirrels for once, probably because I came to that part of the zoo in the afternoon rather than the morning.

The Collared Lemurs seem to have been moved into the primate area with the other spare lemurs. They never seemed to use the space in the walkthrough and just huddled by their house.

Also the zoo now has a Demoiselle crane. Maybe that's what they are going to use the old Cassowary exhibit for since the Blue Cranes have gone.

10. Angel

11. Angel

12. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

13. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

14. Devi

Devi Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I didn't realise they'd ever had animals actually in the castle, what used to be there?

15. Brum

I don't recall ever seeing it (but I surely did see!) but that is the site of the old aquarium.

16. Angel

The aquarium wasn't actually inside the castle but in the square space between the Sharington range and the archway that leads to the old elephant house.

I'm always surprised when I look at the space that the aquarium occupied because it seems so small and I always felt that the aquarium was relatively roomy. Perhaps it's because I was so much smaller then!:D

17. robmv

robmv Well-Known Member 15+ year member

For anyone that doesn't remember the aquarium at Dudley, the building can been seen in the bottom-right-hand corner of this (1970s?) postcard.

Attached Files:

18. Brum

I never realised it was a seperate building, I always assumed it was where the history exhibit was. :)

19. chizlit

chizlit Well-Known Member

I remember it, but also thought it was somehow inside the castle building, but glad it's gone now as looking at the postcard it really does look out of place. I'm sure these days it wouldn't be allowed to to built where it was as it looks awful next to the castle.

20. adrian1963

adrian1963 Well-Known Member

Didn't it use to go just inside the castle building to the left as I remember their being a doorway of some sort just to the left after going into the building thinking about it isn't it still their the doorway that is.