Join our zoo community

Dudley Zoological Gardens Dudley Zoological Gardens in 2017

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Benosaurus, 31 Dec 2016.

1. Benosaurus

Benosaurus Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Black lemur born!

It is the first black lemur to be born at DZG, the EEP studbook holders, since 2006.
    It was born on May 15th to six year old female Barbara (who arrived from Spain in November) and eleven year old male Bryan in the 1 acre lemur walkthrough.
    A very special baby! - Dudley Zoological Gardens

Brum, Coelacanth18 and Kifaru Bwana like this.
  2. Benosaurus

Brum, MagpieGoose and kiang like this.
  3. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A huge improvement!

Judging by this that would give further hope to the new snow leopard digs too ...

MagpieGoose likes this.
  4. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

0:1 Brazilian Tapir was born last Sunday to Chico and Meena :)

5. MagpieGoose

6. Benosaurus

Visited y'day.
    Second visit of 2017 and a scorcher of a day.

No changes to the snow leopard enclosure.

Saw Inca (Asiatic black bear) snoozing in the sunshine.

The extension to the Carpathian lynx house is a great improvement and much bigger than it appears in photos. Definitely improves visitor experience. Saw two lynx in there, escaping the heat outside.

Didn't see the baby tapir as still off-show.

The new viewing area between the tapir enclosure and the first part of the second anteater enclosure is a great idea. Again improves visitor experience as those enclosures used to be awful to view.

The second giant anteater enclosure is complete and looks great. Romy (female giant anteater) is obviously very comfortable there as was very active and showing really well. She had access to both sides of the enclosure. It includes a 'burrow shelter', a pool, a fake termite mound as well as plenty of grass, logs and shrubs. Really nice to see DZG aren't just doing the bare minimum anymore. There's also indoor viewing, an outdoor viewing area in the second part and it looks like another house has been built in the far corner (where the babirusa shed used to be).

The two elderly kangaroos are in the first giant anteater enclosure (that's if it is still a giant anteater enclosure). Not sure if the roos will be vacated if a male anteater arrives.

No changes to the triple parrot aviaries, apart from cutting back the surrounding foliage, as has been mentioned previously.

No sign of the proposed new lion viewing area by the African wild dogs.

No changes to the orang enclosure apart from that peculiar display area, if that's what it is, added to the side.

The male Patagonian sea lion has really bulked up and now has quite an impressive 'mane'. Looks like a sea lion in his prime. He was guarding one of the females, but according to a keeper he doesn't know what to do next.

No changes to the Queen Mary aviary.

Was able to enter the capuchin house this time. No changes except that they have access to both sides now, so their indoor space has doubled.

Saw the cotton topped tamarins.

Saw the beaded lizards in the reptile house.

Didn't go in the lemur walkthrough to search for the back lemur baby as it was very busy in there.

Had a cool walk around the bear ravine Tecton. No signs but nothing stopping me walking on it. Find it strange that they didn't announce it was open as it's a huge step forward for them, but I guess they don't want it to have too much footfall given its age. It's a big space and has the potential be turned into a great exhibit, but as I've said before I'd prefer them to continue improving the rest of the zoo before they consider doing anything. Oh and if they're going to have viewing windows into the old bear dens then would be good if they cleared up the rubbish left by the workmen/women in there first.

Looks like the chimps have broken their slide.

Hand sanitizer and foot trays are still in place before you enter the lorikeet walkthrough.

Was expecting the new barn in the farmyard completed by now, so was disappointed to see they haven't started building it yet. Guessing they must have hit a snag somewhere along the line.

Finally, very impressed to see all the new Tecton information signs around the zoo. Also, I'd like to echo what Angel said earlier in the thread, that it feels like the zoo is genuinely going through a huge transformation at the moment and that there's a really positive vibe about the place.

7. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I visited last week my first visit for a year and my last for along time, nothing nasty in that but won't be able to visit for quite a long time.

Love the extension to the Lynx enclosure but unfortunately like most of the glass fronted exhibits when it's been warm/hot during the night condensation makes it difficult to have a good view of the exhibit but did return a little after 2pm and windows had cleared and had much netter views.

Did notice not many Barbary sheep lambs around this year in fact I think I saw just a couple so the breeding was down on them this year, also didn't see the baby Black Lemur but the walk through was very busy.

Only saw 3 Wild dogs is that all they have now and they could quite easily extend the Orangutan Outside exhibit into some of the Wild dog enclosure this would give the Orang's a much better outside area.

Bird collection at the zoo looking rather poor these days and some of the aviaries could do with a very overdue refurbishment, another exhibit I think could do with a good refurbishment is the Waterfowl area I know they have a sign up giving information about the area opposite the path stating they leave that area for wildlife I agree with this move but to have tree branches growing out of control and polluting the standing water in the pools is baring a little on the neglected exhibit side.

Also noticed the path just past the red squirrel exhibits is closed off but their was a lot of mesh and concrete post's with sand and other bags of material by the old Prairie dog/ Giant rabbit exhibit.

Did see the Wallaby Young, Capuchin young, and loved the Reptile house and my first views of the Philippine Sailfin Lizards got some great photographs, also my admit I was very impressed with the Yellow Bellied Sliders in the Lorikeet walkthrough again great views and photographs.

Also it was great to see the Bush Dogs back at the zoo but I still think that exhibit would suit a Maned Wolf better.

Only species not seen after a full day at the zoo 10am - 5pm were the Baikal Teal everything else was out at sometime during the day

8. Benosaurus

They have 5 African wild dogs. I'd give the orangs all of the enclosure and put the wild dogs in the bear ravine.

The Barbary sheep enclosure is pretty full as it is.

I agree the aviaries by the Barbary sheep are fairly small and could do with a tidy up.
    The zoo will soon be refurbishing the Queen Mary aviary. They'll also be demolishing the triple parrot aviaries and building a larger mixed species aviary in its place.

When I visited I noticed that the waterfowl area had had a big clear out of foliage and think they plan to do more. It all depends on what wildlife they're trying to attract really.

9. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The waterfowl area had been trimmed when I visited but they do this at least twice a year it's not the scrub land that needs sorting it's the trees that are hanging over the water and discolouring the water because no sunlight is getting through the dense foliage.

They usually breed the Barbary Sheep well and send some of the older ones to other collections allegedly, I do know about all the improvements in the pipe line and a few others as well.

10. Benosaurus

drill and MagpieGoose like this.
  11. MagpieGoose

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  12. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I visited yesterday and the only thing of note was the new barn in the farm seems to be taking shape, nothing else news worthy from the visit...

BUT... I had one of my most entertaining "zoo" memories for quite a while at the bush dogs just after opening. One had caught a rat and then the trio spent about half an hour arguing over the carcass. Very entertaining and it held three generations of my families attention for quite a while, it was like three terriers with a toy bone. We'll worth the admission on its own and if I managed to get some good photos I will post them when I can! :)

Benosaurus likes this.
  13. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Were the metaphorical terriers the bushdogs, or the three generations of your family? :p

Brum likes this.
  14. Brum

Brum Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Well since I'm close to six foot then it's either big bloody terriers or the obvious conclusion... :p

15. bongorob

bongorob Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Chester bred male after male until someone did some veterinary work. The population went from something like 9.2 to 5.6.

The species is extremely difficult to sex.

16. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

"quite a while" is an understatement! Three generations is a very long time-span. Exactly how long was this zoo visit, because it may be a record?

Brum and TeaLovingDave like this.
  17. Benosaurus

The zoo is selling new wristbands and badges to help raise funds that will go towards their campaign to raise £800,000 for a new outdoor enclosure for the Bornean orangs within the next 3 years.

'As part of the plans we’re aiming to relocate the wild dogs to incorporate their paddock into the new orang complex'.

Show your support! - Dudley Zoological Gardens

Really, really, really hope they use ALL of the wild dog enclosure. Using all of it will make for a spectacular exhibit that will dramatically increase the zoo's reputation and draw in the crowds. Otherwise there's no point and it's a missed opportunity IMO.

The other question is what will happen to the wild dogs. Will they be relocated within the zoo, if so where, or will they leave the zoo altogether?

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  18. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

Great to finally get a hard fix on the plans, and I think I'm right in saying you've been calling for this for a while?

The only space that really springs to mind is the Bear Ravine, but I don't really see that as suitable.

19. Benosaurus

Yep been calling for it since I joined this site. I think it would make for an excellent orang exhibit if they used all of it (and obviously added a lot more climbing opportunities). It would also mean they'd quickly leap-frog at least 3 other orang enclosures (outdoor) in the UK.

Yh the bear ravine is the only place I can think of. It's not suitable now, being just a grass paddock, but they could turn it into a decent wild dog exhibit. They'd have to build new housing at the far end as well.

20. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Regarding the Orangutans, its worth noting they currently have three seperate groupings(not really the right word) viz; male/male/female & daughter. So unless they create a divided enclosure, they will have to use it in rotation.