Join our zoo community

Dudley Zoological Gardens Dudley Zoological Gardens in 2018

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Benosaurus, 1 Jan 2018.

1. Benosaurus

Benosaurus Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I know, I know. Shameful. Can Zoochat sell t-shirts saying, 'Relax! I'm a zoochatter'.

TNT and Brum like this.
  2. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member 10+ year member

3. Benosaurus

Two of the zoo's recognisable giant beech trees have been felled.

"The 100ft-tall tree at the golden pheasant enclosure has been severely cut back and the beech near the giraffe feeding platform, which was around the same height, has been removed completely".

The zoo carries out an arboriculture review of the site every five years to identify which trees may pose a safety risk to visitors and animals.

Offcuts will be used around the zoo.
    https://www.dudleyzoo.org.uk/giant-trees-for-minute-mice/

4. Benosaurus

A portrait of Dudley's four orangs, Benji, Jazz, Jorong, and Sprout, has been produced.

[​IMG]

The specially commissioned piece was drawn and donated by award winning local artist David Skidmore in aid of the zoo's £800,000 orangutan enclosure appeal. 100 signed limited edition canvases have been produced from the original drawing. They are being sold at £49.99 and have already started selling. Each one comes with its own certificate of authenticity.

The zoo has also announced that fundraising for the new enclosure has recently reached the £350,000 mark.

Exclusive ape art goes on sale - Dudley Zoological Gardens
    (contains info on how to purchase the above canvas)

StoppableSan, FunkyGibbon and Brum like this.
  5. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I think Benji may be a hybrid Orangutan. He is listed as Bornean but he has some 'mid-way' characteristics-like the lighter hair and his pads are hairier than a typical Bornean. Worth noting Duisburg where he was born kept both species- accidents can happen. Wonder if he's ever been DNA tested...

StoppableSan likes this.
  6. Tim May

Tim May Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Kifaru Bwana, FunkyGibbon and Brum like this.
  7. Benosaurus

Sounds great, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Last edited: 21 Nov 2018
  8. AdrianW1963

AdrianW1963 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Next they’ll be publishing they have a pink elephant in the enclosure by the chair lift

9. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member 10+ year member

10. Benosaurus

It looks as though the breeding group of geladas have been given access to the Sulawesi crested macaque enclosure.

The zoo said a few years back that they planned to do this eventually in order to give the baboons fresh grazing and to allow the grass in their original enclosure to recover.

Last edited: 25 Nov 2018
    Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  11. FunkyGibbon

FunkyGibbon Well-Known Member

And the plan was I think to allow the macaques to use the geladas' enclosure?

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  12. Benosaurus

It was indeed. Although there is nothing to confirm that this has happened.

There was also some discussion a few years ago on zoochat that the steep, bare gelada bank would not be entirely appropriate for macaques. However, I imagine it will only be a short move.

FunkyGibbon likes this.
  13. Benosaurus

14. Benosaurus

Death of Margaash…

...It is with enormous sadness that Dudley Zoo can confirm an eight-year-old male snow leopard died after getting out of his enclosure.

Unfortunately, having no other option in the interest of public safety, the animal was euthanised by a senior member of the firearms team with a single shot...

(Moderator edit - full article that was copied here can be read at link below)

Death of Margaash - Dudley Zoological Gardens

Last edited by a moderator: 30 Nov 2018
  15. Devi

Devi Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Shocking news about Margaash. I’m confused how this possibly could have happened. It could have been so much worse.

16. Benosaurus

There are a few ignorant replies on social media at the moment from people reacting out of shock and anger... the usual "how can they be so heartless?" and "haven't they heard of a tranquiliser?".

The keeper who made that tragic mistake of leaving the door open would have been dedicated to and no doubt loved that snow leopard, as I'm sure all keepers feel towards the animals in their care. In my experience all zookeepers and people who care for animals are good people at heart. I feel for them more than anything right now.

With regards to euthanising the animal, albeit heart-breaking, I believe it was the right course of action. The zoo has said they did everything they could to persuade Margaash back into the enclosure, but when that was clearly failing there was obviously a discussion with the zoo vet team, i.e. experts, who in their professional opinion said that firing a tranquiliser dart would pose too much of a risk to public safety, which in situations like these always takes number 1 priority over the animal.

Firing a tranquiliser would have caused the animal to run. Even if the dart had missed or if the animal hadn't received the full dose it would have caused it to run. Just down the bank behind the snow leopard enclosure, right outside the zoo, there is a large college, just past that there are family homes, and beyond that is the busy town centre. Even if the tranquiliser dart had hit its target and the animal had received the full dose, as the vet said, it would have taken too much time for the drug to take effect. It is almost certain that Margaash, an adult male snow leopard, would have encountered people. Just imagine the backlash if someone had been severely injured or a child had been killed and it was discovered that the zoo hadn't made that responsible decision to euthanize.

I also feel for the member of the firearms team who had to pull the trigger. I cannot imagine how they must have felt. For anyone to have to do something as upsetting as that must take a huge amount of composure and bravery.

I am glad the zoo has released such a professional, open and honest statement explaining the whole situation. This is definitely a low moment in the zoo's history and there will be some backlash from an ignorant, reactive few over the next couple of days, but the zoo will undoubtedly bounce back.

Finally, I have just thought about a little snow leopard called Makalu, Margaash's son, who is currently 5000 miles away in Darjeeling zoo at the foot of the Himalayas, who's descendants it is hoped will be released into the wild :)

17. SHAVINGTONZOO

SHAVINGTONZOO Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I've been involved in a spat on twitter (yes, I know o_O ) with somebody suggesting this was an insurance scam. (Presumably, that claiming the insurance on one dead Snow Leopard is better than having the Snow Leopard.)

I find it very, very unlikely that any insurance company would offer a policy against such risks. Does anyone know if exotics can actually be insured in such a way?

18. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

I am glad they have not tried to dodge the issue and have been honest about what has occured... but that doesn't stop it being an appalling dereliction of duty by the keeper in question. No amount of dedication or love for the animal can change that fact.

Sand Cat and Benosaurus like this.
  19. J C

J C Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

I don't know but very much doubt it they may have insurance polices for vet bills etc in the same way you might have for pets at home but I doubt that also given they aren't pets either if any thing I would think an incident like this would put there public liability insurance up given the animal escaped the enclosure and there would certainly be an insurance review of the matter and procedures put in place to prevent it happening again

20. Ned

Ned Well-Known Member 10+ year member

If I was going to do an insurance at Dudley I'd accidently burnt down the giraffe house.

TNT and Brum like this.