Join our zoo community

Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust Durrell news

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Nisha, 2 Apr 2013.

1. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Despite the rebranding to 'Durrell' some years ago now, I'm of an age where I still think of it simply as Jersey Zoo- I don't think 'Durrell' conveys any message to people who don't know what it is, such as potential tourists.

Chatt Wolf, CGSwans and pipaluk like this.
  2. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This was the main reason that the Dutch Gaiapark was rebranded as Gaiazoo a few years ago.

3. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Perhaps 'Jersey's Durrell Zoo' would be a good middle ground/partial retreat.

I was too young to be paying attention in the 1990s when 'zoo' became a dirty word, but I believe zoos should be reclaiming it and wearing the name proudly. A lot of very necessary welfare reform has happened since the late 1960s and continues today. Whilst zoos should be upfront about the failures of the past, they should not disown their history. Many of the zoos that eschewed the name - tried to pretend not to be what they are - have since returned to it. The rest should follow.

dean, sooty mangabey and dublinlion like this.
  4. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

5. kiang

6. drill

drill Well-Known Member

Is durrel considered one of the best island zoos or in Europe because it should.

7. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Influential and at times innovative yes, the best no.
    BTW: it is Durrell ….

8. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It depends on how highly you rate each separate aspect of a zoo's work. In terms of achievements in conservation and education, it is among the best in the world.

9. Indlovu

Indlovu Well-Known Member 10+ year member

In Europe, I agree. But in terms of island zoos (as in non-mainland - I am not including Britain) it might rank quite highly. Loro Parque stands out as a leader here but it is difficult to list many other high profile collections.

10. DDcorvus

DDcorvus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Even though the zoo as such might not be the best, it is still an inspiring place to visit and very enjoyable.

11. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Which is as you may all have read is what I simply did observe in the first place.

As for Island ecosystem conservation and restoration they have certainly been very influential and ground breaking from the time owhen no zoo community would burn their hands on the little brown numbers onwards (and forever more ...).

The latter alongside a host of other conservation groups like Birdlife International (Seychelles, Micronesia), the entire New Zealand conservation community, the Galapagos / Ecuador conservation authorities all have made a big impact on Island ecosystem conservation, rehabilitation and species restoration.

And by Jove should we all be very glad they all did or the world should have been a far less biodiverse place now!

Swampy likes this.
  12. drill

drill Well-Known Member

Durrel sorry they don't have hoofstock do they

13. Carl Jones

Carl Jones Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Durrell are an inovative zoo. The first to bring into captivity and breed many species. Pioneers in training students in zoo biology and conservation. One of the first to set up overseas projects and they have developed reintroduction techniques, and manging species in the wild. The captive collection is not big, but focusses on the captive breeding and research of endangered species.

14. cliffxdavis

cliffxdavis Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Durrell has rebranded

Dear Member,

I am writing to inform you that from 3rd April 2017 Durrell Wildlife Park will be changing its name to Jersey Zoo.

When Gerald Durrell founded Jersey Zoo in 1959, he was a pioneer in his belief that good zoos could do great things in conservation. Today Durrell continues that mission and we believe that we set an exemplary example of best in class zoo practice across animal husbandry, education, science and conservation.

At Durrell we are proud to be a zoo and the work we do both here in Jersey and in the wild all follows the same mission – to save species from extinction. Zoos are now the fourth largest funders of conservation in the world and we are pleased to be able to make a significant contribution. We are also proud that Jersey is our home and this name change re-affirms that.

Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust will not be affected by this change which only refers to the zoo. The primary objective of the name change is making the zoo more visible to visitors to the island as well as staying true to the wishes of our founder.

Your membership will still be to the Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust and one of the benefits of membership is access to Jersey Zoo.

Lee Durrell is very much in support of this change and comments:
    Putting ‘zoo’ back into Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust is something I welcome, for it reinforces what Gerald Durrell had been working towards all his life - to ensure that zoos are genuine and powerful instruments for conservation. Ten years ago, we made a conscious decision to avoid the word ‘zoo’, because of its perceived negative connotations. Today we embrace “it, because modern zoos have made great progress in the service of conservation, both in the zoo setting and in the wild, through innovative research, professional training, inspirational public education and improvements in animal wellbeing. Gerry and his early team had pioneered much of this, and Durrell will continue its ground-breaking work through Jersey Zoo”.

I hope that you as members, as well as visitors and the people of Jersey, will support this change and continue to enjoy our beautiful zoo and all it has to offer.

Best wishes,

[​IMG]
    Dr Lesley Dickie
    Chief Executive Officer
    Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust

15. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Of course, for those of us who never actually *stopped* calling it Jersey Zoo this changes very little indeed :p perchance this will be followed by Suffolk Wildlife Park re-embracing its old name?

16. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They obviously came to the same conclusion.;)

17. kiang

18. Dylan

Dylan Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Issy has laid eggs:

19. TriUK

TriUK Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Sad news: Durrell's Silverback Ya Kwanzza 'Yukky' has passed away.

20. MagpieGoose

MagpieGoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

This is actually there former silverback who was living at Amneville when he died