Join our zoo community

Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust Durrell news

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Nisha, 2 Apr 2013.

1. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The Sumatran female 'Puan' at Perth (mother of Chester's male 'Puluh' as well as a long breeding history of other offspring) has just turned sixty (known years in the Zoo that is, I think, as she was wildcaught but imported from Jakarta(?) Zoo originally). Distinct similarities with Gina, being another very small female and apparently still in fine fettle too. With better management these days, both the longevity and upper breeding age limits for Apes in captivity seem to get higher all the time.

I've heard similar from other people trying to see Western Gorillas. Some only ever hear chest-beating and never see them at all. Do you know of any marked visual characteristics that distinguish the Cross River gorillas from other Western Lowlands? Most differences seem to be on a skeletal level it seems.

2. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

Gorilla keeper for the day

Gorilla keeper for the day ? video | Life and style | theguardian.com

3. Pertinax

I don't think Badongo liked his visitor very much. I haven't heard a zoo male roar like that before in that situation- usually they just hit the mesh or glass.

4. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

He probably recognised that Mr Hattenstone was going for the usual jokey tail-end-of-the-news journalistic approach to animals, and treated him accordingly.

5. FBBird

FBBird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Durrell...

The photo says it all. Making silly faces at non-human primates is at worst threatening and at best bad manners. Badongo is presenting his back to this rude man who is a guest in his home.

6. Rick J

Rick J Well-Known Member

Argh! That 'gentleman' (and I use the term loosely at best) was actually asked to leave. Even his cameraman was bothered by his behaviour, and I think that's why the edit is so unflattering. I mean, he came all the way to Jersey to do that? He sounded so genuine when we were contacted... and he's potentially messed it up for genuine people (who we've always chosen to try and help, as Gerry would have) who have a similar lifelong wish.

:mad:

7. Gigit

Gigit Well-Known Member

I showed the video to Mr Gigit earlier and commented that anyone else behaving like that would surely be asked to leave, so it's gratifying to know that he was. I'd like to think that most people watching the video would share our view of him and feel sorry for Badongo and the keepers.

Last edited: 10 Jan 2014
  8. Pertinax

Thanks for the explanation. Weird indeed.:rolleyes:

9. Rick J

Rick J Well-Known Member

Lots of breeding efforts happening this year... four new aye ayes joining us – part of a group of seven loaned to the EEP by Duke – and a concerted effort to increase genetic diversity on this side of the pond.

Thanks to the research done with the 'Kirindy Forest' aye aye exhibit (allowing 'choice' of being in daylight or darkness, as opposed to being in nocturnal houses) we've ascertained that aye ayes will 'sunbathe', and low light levels aren't nearly as important as once thought. Enclosures will be redesigned as part of the aye aye project.

We are tasked with improving genetic diversity in the captive black lion tamarin population too.. a tough job. We were expecting one new individual this week, but the weather has prevented his arrival. Will let you know.

Bahasha had a full reproductive assessment carried out, and has no uterine septum, as was feared, and so has been taken off contraception (and mated already). Fingers crossed.

:)

10. Jordan-Jaguar97

Jordan-Jaguar97 Well-Known Member

Some fantastic news regarding the Black Lion Tamarins, not to mention the Aye Aye's! :D

11. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Indeed great to hear more Aye aye are kept in Europe, hopefully more breeding will now take place !

12. Pertinax

Any decision made yet about whether to allow Sumatran Orangutan 'Gina' to breed again, or not?

13. Al

Al Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Great news about the aye-aye! It will be interesting to see what movements are made with these new animals arriving and if potential new holders will be getting older animals! Is the black lion tamarin an existing EEP animal or from Brazil?

14. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Without a doubt, a fantastic bit of news.

15. Rick J

Rick J Well-Known Member

Hiya, she's due for a reproductive assessment in April. It's interesting to note that since Jaya moved on, Jiwa had started to develop facial flanges, and began relentlessly trying to mate Gina. We've intervened chemically for now, as his advances were stressing Gina to the point that her cortisol levels would have affected the results and potentially her health.

The prospect of baby aye ayes is super exciting for me! :)

The black lion tamarin is another EEP sp. Sadly, it's looking like Brazil are reluctant to let any of theirs join us. There are a few species of calithrichid from other South American countries that we work with, that really ought to be here, too.

16. vogelcommando

17. vogelcommando

18. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

19. Pertinax

That is a bummer.:( This bird is from one of the three pairs in the breeding aviaries at Jersey and they must be midway through their breeding cycle at present- though I haven't an update on how they are getting along in what would hopefully be their first successful season.

His prognosis for survival is low as he doesn't know how to feed himself. Even if he joins up with the release birds on the North coast that would still be a problem. Best chance for him would be if they could recapture him e.g. if he came back to the Zoo to find his partner.

20. Rick J

Rick J Well-Known Member

He's been sighted at Sorel, believe it or not. We aren't 100% convinced yet.