Join our zoo community

Dutch Zoos

Discussion in 'Netherlands' started by snowleopard, 30 Dec 2018.

1. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

I've spent a long time planning a zoo trip through the Netherlands and I've found Zootierliste to be an invaluable resource of information.

ZootierlisteHomepage

On that site there are 96 Dutch zoos listed and that seems like an extraordinary amount. However, 21 of them are closed (geschlossen) and that knocks the current total down to 75. Then there are a number of facilities listed that I would probably not count as proper 'zoos':

CNME Landgoed Schothorst
    Castle Gardens in Arcen (Arcen Kasteeltuinen)
    Netherlands Open Air Museum in Arnhem
    De Roofvogelhoeve (Bird of Prey Museum in Baarlo) - not open for regular public visits?
    Aeres MBO Barneveld - a school with no drop-in visits
    Beverwijk Voliere
    The Hague Park (a deer herd)
    Aquaexpo in Hilversum
    Kerkrade Stadspark
    Vogelpark Bonasia - barely any information is available in regards to this place
    Maastricht Dierenpark (not a zoo) although Mastricht Daalhoeve probably counts
    Natuurcentrum Ameland - nature center
    Nieuw-Scheemda

Eliminating those establishments, that leaves a total of 62 'zoos' in the Netherlands. My goal is to visit 50 of those zoos next July and August. Are there any other zoos that I've overlooked? Are there any not already on Zootierliste? Are there any facilities that I suggested should be eliminated that are in fact zoos?

KevinVar likes this.
  2. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Natuurcentrum Ameland is a bigger aquarium than many you have visited in California ;)

3. PicanBird

PicanBird Well-Known Member

Very true! It has some nice fish!

4. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Avonturia de Vogelkelder (Den Haag) have a nice selection of species and it's included in Zootierliste, but I would add it to your "non-zoo" list since it's a pet shop.

5. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Should I skip this one as part of my 50-zoo Dutch tour? From the website, and via advice from a couple of people, I had imagined a tiny 'zoo' section of the pet store. If it's not really a proper 'zoo' by any stretch of the imagination then I'd rather not visit.

Thanks for the advice @lintworm in regards to Natuurcentrum Ameland but I cannot fit it into my schedule. It's too remote on an island in the north. The same goes for the Ecomare 'zoo' on Texel, which is even more remote as a ferry is needed!

6. Kakapo

Kakapo Well-Known Member

Skip it or not will depend on your interests. Certainly, pet shops provided me with a lot of species, sometimes rare, especially in fishes, reptiles and amphibians. I suppose that it may have a small permanent section as you mention, otherwise it would not be included in Zootierliste. I didn't visited this shop during my Dutch trip, despite being hosted at The Hague, due to lack of time used for other more interesting collections. So I can't judge it from direct impressions. Better follow the advice of people that have been here, such as this couple of people you mentioned.

snowleopard likes this.
  7. vogelcommando

vogelcommando Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Avonturia de Vogelkelder (Den Haag) is a pet-shop ( with realy a nice collection of sale ) but the zoo part is realy completely seperated from this shop part and there are some intresting enclosures ( all in a large cellar-room ), In the shop there are also some nicely decorated enclosures and also even some free-living animals can be found in the shop ( I saw several birds free-flying in the shop ). IMO it surtainly is worth visiting ( see also the photos in the Gallery : Avonturia De Vogelkelder | ZooChat ).

snowleopard likes this.
  8. Mr. Zootycoon

Mr. Zootycoon Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It sounds funny when someone calls any place in the Netherlands "remote." :p

ShonenJake13 and Chlidonias like this.