Join our zoo community

Ecomuseum Zoo Ecomuseum Zoo Montreal

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TZFan, 4 Dec 2013.

1. TZFan

TZFan Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. TZFan

3. TZFan

4. TZFan

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  5. TZFan

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  6. Newzooboy

Newzooboy Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Finally made it to this zoo on a recent trip covering Ottawa, Montreal, Toronto and Washington DC (zoos visited, in order = Toronto Zoo, Montreal Botanical Gardens Insectarium, Montreal Biodome, Ecomuseum Zoo, Smithsonian National Zoo, Washington).

The majority of these are well covered on Zoochat, but I may post a few choice photos if there is something not already present, or if I particularly like the picture. I have, however, now commenced uploading the first batch of pictures from the Ecomuseum Zoo as this previously had no photos on Zoochat at all, so feel responsible for giving this lovely little zoo it's long overdue place in the sun (and sunny it was on my visit :)). As I intend to try and give as comprehensive a pictorial overview as possible, it may take a while but the first batch should be up sometime tonight.

This is not an easy place to get to, being located at the Southern end of Montreal island, and good 35 minutes drive from downtown Montreal. Public transport links are non-existent. I opted for an Uber to get there (relatively cheap) but was forced to get a standard cab back owing to a lack of mobile signal (a massive thank you to the extremely helpful lady at the front desk, who called me a cab!).

The zoo itself features only native species from Quebec. It covers a relatively small site (walk around in about 30 minutes without looking too closely at anything) which features a range of naturalistic enclosures for medium to large sized mammals and birds, as well as a small building, which comprises the entrance and shop upstairs and a small reptile/ amphibian/ nocturnal house downstairs. Overall it was quite reminiscent of Wildwood in the the UK, although smaller and with less species overall. Definitely worth the effort, a really nice treat with seldom seen species for the the UK visitor.

Mammals: Arctic Fox, American Marten, Fisher, Virginia Opossum, Raccoon, North American Porcupine, American Black Bear, Coyote, Canadian Gray Wolf, Deer Mouse, Northern Flying Squirrel, Southern Flying Squirrel, Striped Skunk, Canadian Lynx, White-tailed Deer, Woodland Caribou, North American River Otter.

Birds: Snowy Owl, North American Wild Turkey, various wildfowl & herons, Barred Owl, Raven, Golden Eagle, Bald Eagle, Rough-legged Hawk, Great Horned Owl, Eastern Screech Owl, Broad-winged Hawk.

Reptiles/ Amphibians: Leopard Frog, American Bullfrog, Gray Treefrog, Wood Turtle, Blanding's Turtle, Snapping Turtle, Painted Turtle, Spiny Softshell Turtle, Spotted Turtle, American Toad, Brown Snake, Map Turtle, Smooth Green Snake, Stinkpot Musk Turtle, Red-spotted Newt, Black Rat Snake, Mudpuppy, Yellow Spotted Salamander, Spring Peeper, Wood Frog.

7. Newzooboy

Forgot - also went to Ripley's Aquarium of Canada in Toronto!!

8. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thank you for the review and pictures of this zoo; I was not aware that it existed.

I don't think that anyone here has reviewed the Montreal Insectarium. If you have a minute could you please share your thoughts of what that facility was like and if you liked it?

Did you like the Smithsonian National Zoo?

9. Newzooboy

Thanks David....my pleasure.......I only knew this place existed from Zoochat, when I was looking for zoos to visit in Montreal area. Really glad I made the effort and that I managed to fill a gap on the site. Good work done here and they really deserve the exposure.

I will focus on Montreal Insectarium next with short review and photos to follow shortly.

Loved the Smithsonian.......actually much better than I expected.....especially the reptile house........

10. TZFan

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  11. TZFan

12. TZFan

13. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

14. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

15. Yi Qi

Yi Qi Well-Known Member

16. TZFan

17. TZFan

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  18. Smaggledagle

Smaggledagle Well-Known Member

2022 News:

On January 21st, the zoo announced that a (1.0) Canadian lynx named Loki has passed away at age 10 due to a combination of an abnormal gait, kidney failure, and diabetes.

On February 17th, the zoo announced they acquired a (1.0) turkey vulture named Fuego from a wildlife rehabilitation center in the US a couple weeks prior. He is now on exhibit in the waterfowl aviary.

On June 15th, the zoo announced that they have had multiple broods from various waterfowl species in 2022.

On August 19th, the zoo announced they transferred a (1.0) North American porcupine named Kingsley to the Zoo Sauvage de Saint-Felicien in Quebec.

On September 20th, the zoo announced they transferred (2.0) North American river otters named Fergus and Finnigan to the Calgary Zoo in Alberta after construction was done on their exhibit. The zoo also decided to close down their river otter exhibit for renovations.

On Octobr 5th, the zoo announced they acquired (1.1) golden eagles named Fenwick and Shakelton which are now on exhibit.

The zoo also announced that a (0.1) golden eagle named Jimmy has been put off exhibit due to significant health problems. Their (1.0) bald eagle named Wonka is also off exhibit to provide emotional support.

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  19. Smaggledagle

On October 27th, the zoo announced that the North American river otter exhibit renovations were completed and the exhibit is now open to the public.

On October 28th, the zoo announced they acquired (0.0.2) red foxes from a fur farm in autumn 2022.

20. Smaggledagle

On January 20th, 2023, the zoo announced that a (0.1) grey wolf named Palla passed away at age 8 due to generalized cancer.

登录 Facebook