Join our zoo community

Edinburgh Zoo Edinburgh Zoo News 2013

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by snowleopard, 24 Jan 2013.

1. Lesley4444

Lesley4444 Well-Known Member

They did... mum and pup are both out with the pack.. the pup is to the less dominant female... someone told me the dominant female is pregnant too so there could be more tiny paws.

Cannot believe you saw the clouded leopard!!..lol.. well that means there is still hope for me to see her..one of the volunteers i spoke to says that she is leaving the collection..but not sure if thats true or not. Going to the carnivore and panda talk next thursday so i will take notes

2. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

It tallies with what I was told on my last visit back in May, sadly.

3. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

They haven't been up to their old tricks at Edinburgh have they....?:(

4. cracker

cracker Well-Known Member

but no sign of the red river hog piglets I saw a while back-it looked like the whole rest of the group was out and about so I assume these didn't make it-anyone know anymore?

think they are just bigger now as I think there are 3 from the last litter plus two from a previous litter, and all still there.

5. Tunanta

Tunanta Well-Known Member

It was a litter of 2 (boys I think) I was wondering about, but I have scanned back and realised they were born late July so would be a few months old now so may well have been bigger than I was expecting as I thought they were more recent than that!

Looking forward to your notes from the carnivore meeting Lesley.

6. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

The Painted Dog pup has now been sexed as a female and given the name Domino

7. Elephas Maximus

Elephas Maximus Well-Known Member

Final arrangements are being made to upcoming transfer of pygmy hippo Eve to Ekaterinburg Zoo (Russia). The flight is scheduled at 29th December, early morning - it's not long before her 2nd birthday :)
    The transfer should have happened at 2012, but was postponed due to paperwork problems (UK export is a pain)
    She has grown much for a year and needs a new crate!

8. Davef68

Davef68 Well-Known Member

Thanks, explains the appearance and then disappearance of the travel crate last year!!

9. Devi

Devi Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Visited yesterday, very lucky to see a very active Tian Tian running round after a squirrel, she repeatedly went to the gate between her enclosure and Yang Guangs, which the guide says has recently started and is a sign she may be ready to breed as early as January.
    He was on show but fast asleep, with the ability to go off show if the visitors were too much.
    Short video here - Tian Tian
    Apologies I didn't get more but I was too busy watching to get many videos, will upload a few pics tho!
    Koalas were asleep and no sign of the baby, even though I waited for ages. Domino was out and running about with a leaf, typical youngster winding up all the adults, near impossible to get a photo, she's very quick! Inside area still shut off.
    Baby warty pigs were amazing, river hoglets were there too. Baby hippo was hidden close to a fence, we were told where but couldn't be seen.
    Binturongs mating. Some of the penguins were evicted from the parade because they were attacking visitors, funny for me, perhaps not for those left with injuries!
    Apart from that, what an ace zoo! Some of the enclosures were amazing, Bodongo was unlike anything I've seen before, although I was a bit nervous how high up those chimps were, the african plains was also impressive. Can't help thinking I must have missed a few bits!

10. TeaLovingDave

You quite possibly did, there are some nice things tucked away here and there - did you see the Golden Cats next to the Sunbear enclosure?

11. Devi

Devi Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I saw their enclosure, couldn't spot them though :(

12. Davef68

Welcome to my world!! :)

13. Elephas Maximus

The date of transfer of Eve is changed to January 9th 2014 :(

14. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

15. TeaLovingDave

I hope to god they don't keep the other meerkat enclosure then!

16. Tunanta

So do I! Also wondering whether the meerkats will be given the paddock area attached to the seal pool (that the pelicans had access to during their brief time there) or whether that will remain as empty space (or hopefully be used for something a bit more original than meerkats although I'm not sure what could go there-anyone got any ideas for there or the current meerkats?). Will have to wait for proper plans/work to be done. Hopefully they will do a good job and it will at least be a good meerkat enclosure and they do need to fill that enclosure given its the first one most visitors see, but I can't help feel a little disappointed.

17. Davef68

Bring back the Sousliks!!

18. Elephas Maximus

Russians call them sousliks too, hehe :)
    Can anybody take new pics of Pygmy hippos? The baby is not displayed yet?

19. Tunanta

Sorry I haven't got any decent recent pics of the pygmy hippos but little one has been on show pretty much from day one (they move them around as its winter and they don't go out much so they all get some access to the indoor pool so baby isn't always visible but she is generally on show). I was lucky enough on Christmas day to see her having a bit of a play fight with mum in the pool-very cute but I only had my phone for pics and it was too dark to get anything decent inside. She is growing very quickly.

20. Elephas Maximus

Eve will arrive to Russia at January 8th, 12:00 (GMT +6).
    Let's wish her good luck in a new life :)
    She will be accompanied by familiar keeper for first 2 days.