Join our zoo community

Edinburgh Zoo Edinburgh Zoo News 2013

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by snowleopard, 24 Jan 2013.

1. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

I went on Tuesday, as it happens, and I got a full set of all three golden cats :) the youngest male, Ipoh, is in the usual enclosure in the small mammal house. His sibling, the female Swai-fai, is the cat in the old aardwolf enclosure. Kahn, the older male and the newest arrival, is the cat on carnivore row who loves his barrel :p

I very much agree about Barry being an asset to RZSS; once I have finished my general explore of the zoo to see what has changed, I tend to tag along with his various talks and have a chat with him about the carnivores held at Edinburgh, as I did on Tuesday. I suspect the fact I tend to ask about obscure things like the margays and golden cats makes me easy to remember! :p

2. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Brilliant! I am going in a week specifically for golden cat, and now there are three separate exhibits for them? Fantastic!

3. TeaLovingDave

There have always been three separate enclosures; the change is in which enclosures are being used. The enclosure with the female in has visible sleeping quarters, which may or may not improve visibility of the individual - she didn't use them whilst I was there on Tuesday.

4. epickoala123

epickoala123 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Oh, it's a shame about the reshuffling of the golden cats, the empty exhibit was/is a good oppurtunity to put the margay on show

5. TeaLovingDave

The reshuffling was in order to make room for the clouded leopard I believe; the margays were earmarked for the exhibit which now has scottish wildcats in, but the need to house the latter species for HWP took precedence.

6. epickoala123

oh, I would of thought the small carnivores building would be more suited for a quite secretive animal

7. TeaLovingDave

As would I; but the enclosure on carnivore row is both tall and thickly planted, which is the more important factor for a semi-arboreal carnivore. Hopefully they will go onshow there some point.

8. JamesB

JamesB Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I was told in August by a keeper that the Margays might go in the (now) old Aardwolf enclosure. It seems it has changed several times... and yet they are still off show! One day perhaps.

9. Davef68

Davef68 Well-Known Member

Or, as it used to be, the old Margay enclosure! They were usually pretty visible when they were in there, one in particlar liked sleeping near the window at the side.

IIRC from HWP last year that litter of Wildcats were a bit of a surprise, being very late in the year (They were only 12 weeks in October)

10. JamesB

JamesB Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Oh I didn't realise they were in there before! So they moved them off-show to attempt to breed them? I heard they have been attempting to get them to mate, if I'm right?

11. TeaLovingDave

Not quite; the current female actually arrived whilst the margay were offshow - I do not know whether there was another female which has since left or died. The margay originally went offshow because of all the disruption and noise caused by the building work required to convert the old polar bear enclosure into the current sun bear enclosure, I believe - as did the other occupants of the small carnivore house. It's just been delays in getting them back onshow I think.

That said, they have indeed been trying to get the current pair breeding, I believe.

12. Lesley4444

Lesley4444 Well-Known Member

The pandas are hopefully going to be introduced this afternoon and tomorrow... people with viewing times for tomorrow are being emailed.. this is according to their twitter posts :)

13. Shirokuma

Shirokuma Well-Known Member

14. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Someone on the zoo's facebook page has reported the arrival of 3 kiang, up the hill somewhere?
    Can anyone confirm?

15. cracker

cracker Well-Known Member

Yes there are 3 in part of the old camel field, a male and 2 females I think.

16. Tunanta

Tunanta Well-Known Member

I agree on the male + 2 female-hopefully were not both wrong!

17. epickoala123

sorry if this has already been mentioned, but tian tian has been artificially inseminated

18. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Giant Panda AI.

I wonder what the behavioural signs in the female were that indicated she would not mate? Also why they ruled out even trying them together for a mating attempt if both were showing other mating behaviours. Would it be to avoid stressing the female and therefore making the AI less likely to succeed? Its perhaps surprising they have to resort to this with two proven breeders (or were they AI subjects previously perhaps?).

I often wonder what it is about captive Giant Pandas generally that makes natural mating often difficult and therefore AI (or attempted AI) so often necessary. After all, mating must be successful enough in the wild.

19. epickoala123

Facebook just said:yuang guang was showing promising signs. Tian tian was also shiwing good signs but also indications that she didn't want to mate

20. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

all the news releases carried the same report. Its muddled- both were showing 'good signs'. but the Chinese expert also detected TianTian wouldn't mate-its a bit of a contradiction- good signs and bad signs together?:confused: