Join our zoo community

Edinburgh Zoo Edinburgh Zoo News 2017

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Quincey, 5 Jan 2017.

1. Quincey

Quincey Well-Known Member 5+ year member

2. Quincey

One of the zoo's new Barn Owl's has escaped:

"Earlier this week one of the barn owls went missing from Edinburgh Zoo. The barn owl sneakily flew past his keeper and out of his enclosure and his keepers have been unable to locate him since. Due to the high winds, at the time of his escape, he could currently be anywhere in the Edinburgh area. We’re appealing to the public to help us find him."

3. ArboLowe

ArboLowe Well-Known Member

Visiting the zoo this week! :) Any tips of what's the best time to see certain animals (koala territory undergoing maintenance and birds off show). If you pay at the gate can book to see the pandas then? And last question it says on the website there's a full day keeper talks is this true for a week day ?

4. kiang

kiang Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I was there at New year, the koala house and bird walk throughs were closed and i think this is still the case.
    Your entrance fee comes with the option of when to see the pandas, mine was at 1.45pm and it was only the male on show that day.
    The talks seem to be centred in the Budongo chimp house, with a few scattered around enclosures.
    Maybe when there you could confirm if the Nile lechwe are still there, i never saw them or any signage for them on my visit.

5. Zia

Zia Well-Known Member

Shame about the Koala walk through - but on the plus side when we went on a weekday in September we were allocated a time to try to see the panda's but as it was quite they were happy for us to keep going back. Took about four attempts but we did see the male in the end (female was off show). There were also lot od keeper talks taking place - we went from a hands on 'meet the reptiles' session straight to the Chimp talk - and we saw others taking place during the day.

Hope you have a good visit :)

6. ArboLowe

Made the visit yesterday.Really enjoyed the zoo! Great mix of modern with old. The African plains seemed a waste for only two species. And any plans for that top paddock? Some news I picked up on was a red bellied lemur birth in the monkey house. Also this may be old news but at the sun bear talk the keeper said the bears may be moved on to start their own families and new rescues will be brought in. No shows included the lions(indoor house closed off), tapirs, kangaroo, ant-eaters and otters, got to see everything else. The male panda was very lively at my half 10 viewing. Whats up with all the goeldi's in most of the magic forest and an enclosure with sakis?

Sorry Kiang coudnt find them :(

kiang likes this.
  7. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Any news on whether they have got a new male Drill yet to replace the one that apparently died some while back?

8. kiang

I photographed this male on the 1/1
    Male drill | ZooChat

9. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Thankyou. I do miss a lot of gallery posts since the changes.:(

I think this means they now have a pair again, plus maybe still the two(?) offspring of the female and previous male.

Davef68 likes this.
  10. ArboLowe

There was three drills including the male that I seen on Tuesday

11. Davef68

Davef68 Well-Known Member

Be interesting to see when/if that happens - it's been mentioned regularly since the bears arrived, and they must be in their early teens now. IIRC they are part of the European Breeding programme, but still 'owned' by the Cambodian Government

Kifaru Bwana likes this.
  12. Quincey

Visited today, there is at least one male Nile Lechwe still in the African Plains exhibit with Grevy's Zebra and Lowland Nyala. Also the Koala and Lion Houses are open again.

13. kiang

0.1 red panda has arrived at the zoo, the female is from the Netherlands.

The male has been at the zoo for about a year, offshow, whilst the female arrived on Sunday 12th.

Last edited: 14 Feb 2017
  14. Quincey

There was a red panda in the new enclosure at the front of the zoo on Sunday, it was curled up in a tree, not sure if this would have been the male or female.

15. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This the old sea lion pool?

16. kiang

No, that is home to some rarely seen meerkats!!!
    The red pandas are back in their original enclosure next door.

17. Quincey

The original red panda enclosure has been joined up with the original Otter enclosure, more recently home to the striped skunk which has been moved to the circular enclosure between the otters and pygmy hippo so the red panda's are now in a larger area with the ability to keep the male and female separate.

18. Quincey

19. kiang

20. Quincey

Appointment of a new Director of Conservation/Living Collections at RZSS

Following a comprehensive selection process RZSS has successfully recruited Dr Charlotte Macdonald as Director of Conservation/Living Collections at RZSS.

Charlotte has spent her entire working life within the UK and Irish zoo industry, having worked her way through the ranks to her current post as Director of Life Sciences at Twycross Zoo.

Her knowledge, skills and experience gained over the years straddle the areas of Conservation, Living Collections, Science & Research and Education. Charlotte previously work at RZSS between 2001 and 2010.