Join our zoo community

Edinburgh's panda adoption scheme - how valuable is it?

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by cmbrown, 12 Dec 2011.

1. cmbrown

cmbrown New Member

Here's a link to the Panda adoption page - Adopt Online

What does everyone think about the adoption of these animals? Considering what is offered in return for our money, how rewarding an experience is this for the adopter? Maybe there are ways to make adoption more valuable and exciting for the human involved...

2. Javan Rhino

Javan Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

It doesn't seem to make clear whether or not the things listed on the lower ones are included in the higher ones, ie:

The bronze membership gets you a year subscription to Life Links magazine, fact sheets etc. The silver puts your name on a name plaque.

So, does the platinum give you the magazine subscription/name listed etc. and the tour/membership listed are what's added ontop of everything from the others, or do you just get the two things without everything the cheaper ones offer?

3. cmbrown

cmbrown New Member

The platinum says, "as gold, plus:", then the gold says, "as silver, plus:", and so on... so it would appear that each adoption scheme includes everything offered in those previous. I just wonder if there might be ways to make the adoption scheme more rewarding for the adopter, beyond sending them newletters and inviting them to the zoo etc. Maybe it would be nice to receive regular updates about an animal throughout your day... any thoughts on this?

4. Javan Rhino

Javan Rhino Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Ahh kk - missed that :D

I think the guided tour is a good idea to start with, maybe an invitation to a function such as a meal? There are lots of things that could be added, but it's all to do with cost and feasibility - I think a sleepover in the zoo would be a good idea but then zoo licensing laws would have to be considered, if they have to extend their hours overnight then the cost comes into play as it can cost up to about £40 per-hour that a zoo is open to have a zoo license.

5. cmbrown

cmbrown New Member

I know that the zoo had a halloween sleepover, but there were only 20 or so places. People could see what the animals got up to at night, which might have been interesting. I think it would be great if there was a way to make the adoption scenario 'live', to provide updates to the adopter of what an animal was doing at different times. Maybe, for example, adopters might like to know when the animal is awake or asleep, eating, playing etc. So rather than engage with the zoo and other zoo staff through the adoption (as this happens through newsletters and events the adopters get invited to), the adopter is more engaged with the animal - surely this is what they would ultimately prefer anyway.