Join our zoo community

Monarto Safari Park Elephants at Monarto

Discussion in 'Australia' started by ZYBen, 19 Feb 2007.

1. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

I found this thought you might like

2. Sumatran Elephant Elephas maximus sumatranus

IUCN Status: EN A1cd

ASMP Status: Management level 3

Year Commenced: N/A

Number Maintained: N/A

Historic Inventory:

Institutional Contact: Kevin Evans

This species is not currently maintained by the RZSSA but Sumatran elephants are on the collection plan for MZP. AZ co-ordinated regional sponsors and contributed funding support for the Sumatran Elephant Conservation Workshop hosted by Taman Safari, Indonesia in April 2000. The RZSSA have provided advice to assist establishment of the Sumatran Elephant trust Fund to support priority in-situ elephant conservation programmes. Resolution of human-elephant conflicts is a high priority and financial support to build and maintain moats to protect crops will be contributed by Australasian zoos participating in this programme.

2. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

Thats interesting news Ben, I hope if they do import them it will be a good sized group. Is there any news on the Black rhino at Monarto zoo.

3. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

Dunno will ask tomorrow

4. patrick

patrick Well-Known Member

sorry, but this is old news ben. plans for elephants at monarto have been shelved for the time being i believe. they certainly dont list them on their annual plan.

certainly if they do get elephants there (and i'm sure they will eventually) i sincerly doubt they will be of the critically endangered sumatran race. more likely they will come from thailand like the others.

5. Zoo_Boy

Zoo_Boy Well-Known Member

sorry, what happened to africans?

6. patrick

whoever said they were going to keep africans though? i know it was mentioned on this forum but thats the only place i ever heard of it.....

7. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

wow, it would be real cool if Momarto zoo joined the breeding plan.

8. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

Yeah i just found that so thought i would share, i dont think asian eles would suit the monarto landscape

9. MARK

MARK Well-Known Member

It would still be nice to have some extra elephants in oz to boost up the National breeding plan.

10. patrick

but chimpanzees would?

anyway ben, asian elephants live in a variety of habitats. the idea that they live in rainforest whist the african elephant lives on the plains in not an accurate one. did you know that historically the asian elephant was found a far west as iraq?

anyhow when i went to yala east in sri lanka a was amazed at how much the landscaped reminded me of of the dry african savannah. my friend who i had orginised to meet up with there has travelled through kenya and tanzania among others and he agreed. rocky outcrops, dry grass, thorny accacia like vegetation and asian elephants everywhere....

how much monarto looks like africa however is another question.... ;)

11. patrick

answering my own question.

i just realised monarto did list in their 2005 plan an intention to hold african elephants. four, all female....

so thats where that idea came from.

12. Zoo_Boy

cheri, yum yum, cuddles. and jumbo from new zealnd, opening western plains for asians

lol maybe guys

13. patrick

huh? try again zooboy...

14. Zoo_Boy

jokes pat

were are they comming from then in your opinion, and whats the use just getting feamles?

15. ZYBen

ZYBen Well-Known Member

It wasd planned as a rescue mission from kruger that all i know but i knwo its been scrapped, i was refering to the Sumartan Subspecies pat, sorry for the confusion.

Yes monarto isnt very african looking in some parts but most are, aslong as there is foliage, like the Lion exhbit a slope covered in long grass with a hidden waterhole and a few tree clumped together THe GUraffe exhbit is very umm, how do i put this, odd doesnt really look liek anything a blank paddock really the giraffe killed most of it and the eland and zebra all the grasses (although there is still some grassy areas) but the waterbuck still manage to hide!

16. patrick

african elephants still on the cards?

adelaide zoo have been trying to update their god aweful website lately. and i noticed they have a new "serengeti" exhibit planned for monarto.

Adelaide and Monarto Zoos

there is a downloadable PDF that states the zoo plans on acquiring african elephants for the project. i wonder, how recent is this particular information and what are everyones thoughts?...

17. Zoo_Boy

i foudn that last week, printed it, and filed over it for hours, to me, whilst asians are the priorty species, monarto has room for both.

the exhibit is well dsigned, as you may be able to see, rhino territoreis surround it, good for breeding, hyena, wuild dog and lion get 2nd exhibits, so from what i see you drive around, and suprises keep popping up.

though if monarto has so much room, why not let eles have more space imo.

18. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I read this a while ago but didn't think much of it because it says "even elephant".
    Just sounds like wishful thinking to me

19. Jarkari

Jarkari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Do you think Adelaide would be the only one to import Africans or IF they did would they work with somewhere like dubbo?

20. Jarkari

Jarkari Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Actually after reading over the document and looking at the map they have space assigned for elephants, wouldn't this be something you'd want to be pretty sure about before making room for it.