Join our zoo community

Milwaukee County Zoo Elephants of the Milwaukee County Zoo

Discussion in 'United States' started by ShowMeElephants, 30 Mar 2011.

Tags:
  1. ShowMeElephants

ShowMeElephants Well-Known Member 10+ year member

2. ShowMeElephants

ShowMeElephants Well-Known Member 10+ year member

3. Wild wolverine

Wild wolverine Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Has anyone heard any updates for a new elephant exhibit? I know it was talked about in summer and has been rumored for a couple years now. I heard that if they do not start working on it by the end of 2016, Milwaukee will lose its elephants/AZA Accreditation, but I'm not sure how true that is.
    Does anyone know anything?

4. csura999

csura999 Active Member

I know they shipped out a moose and sent it back to the N.E.W. Zoo in Green Bay where it was born. So, I think they're going to start clearing out the inhabitants of the moose exhibit. The one dall sheep, one brown bear, and the lone grey wolf are elderly animals, and may pass away soon.

It would be a shame to lose the sandhill cranes so soon (they live with the moose). I love having them there, but maybe they can move them to another part of the zoo.

I talked to a volunteer there last week, and she said the plan is still to begin work on the elephant exhibit to keep AZA accreditation.

5. Wild wolverine

Alright, thank you! I hope they get started soon, I am very excited to see all the progress.

6. JVM

JVM Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm so happy for the elephants, but also so disappointed that such a big chunk of the zoo and some really cool North American species are being removed to make room. I really hope Milwaukee plans to bring those species back down the line, including the Moose.

csura999 likes this.
  7. Milwaukee Man

Milwaukee Man Well-Known Member 10+ year member

This is something I've been asking myself ever since the elephant habitat was proposed. Why get rid of three exhibits, two of which are already among the better quality animal exhibits (moose and wolf) and the brown bear grotto which I'll be happy to see go, when there is a huge amount of land available behind the Small Mammal and Reptile buildings for not just an elephant habitat, but perhaps an entire cohesive African complex as well? Correct me if I'm wrong as I'm no finance expert:confused:, but wouldn't it also be less expensive to just build in that vacant area (after clearing some vegetation of course) than to demolish and then build over the moose/wolf/bear area? I'm sure moose and wolf will return eventually, not too confident on the Alaskan brown bear though as we also have grizzly bears. Otherwise I am thrilled for the upcoming elephant habitat and some long overdue progress!

Speaking of locations by the way, I've always thought the current moose/bear/wolf area could be a nice American Plains area. Bison, elk, sandhill cranes, and perhaps pronghorn in the current moose exhibit after an overhaul; give a renovation/expansion of the current wolf area; new prairie dog and badger exhibits; the brown bear area then overhauled into an open-topped bald eagle exhibit; and demolish the Dall sheep mountain and place a garden with prairie plant species in its place. The moose could then move into the current elk exhibit closer to the more "northern" North American animals.

8. Wild wolverine

I have to agree with you as usual, Milwaukee Man. The zoo does have a lot of unused space that it could use for the elephant exhibit, and keep the two higher quality exhibits the zoo has. I also really like the sound of your Great Plains type of exhibit (especially with the new badger/Great Plains exhibit that just opened in Madison)
    However, way way back when I first heard about this elephant project at a behind the scenes day in 2012, the zookeeper told us that the Australia exhibit would also be demolished for the elephant exhibit and rebuilt in the area you're referring to. I personally had high hopes that that would happen; a new elephant exhibit and possibly a whole new African complex, and a new Australian exhibit to fill up some of the empty space the zoo has. However there hasn't been an official announcement from the zoo yet that I know of, and I'm not entirely sure what the latest plan has in store for all the changes that are going to happen. I am hopeful that they bring back the species lost for the elephant exhibit at some point in the future. I am very cautious though, the zoo has been talking about a hippo exhibit remodel since 2010 and we haven't seen much of that at all...

9. JVM

I think it's the loss of the Moose and prairie dog that bother me most, as neither species is well-represented at my nearby zoos, and from what I've heard, Moose are a rare species in AZA zoos in general.

I wonder what Milwaukee could have planned for new Australia? I hope the Tree Kangaroos stay but it'd be lovely to see Koalas back.

10. csura999

csura999 Active Member

The prairie dogs are still there. In fact, the zoo just welcomed a few new ones to their collection not too long ago.

I also do agree that the zoo has tons of unused space. Their outdoor bonobo exhibit is awful! They have a whole forest around that they can utilize for a special species of primate!

Also, not just for the bonobos, but they can also use the forest area for the new elephant exhibit and the other African animals they have planned instead of getting rid of a very nice exhibit for the moose and sandhill cranes. Getting rid of Wolf Woods isn't cool, either--it's a more than serviceable exhibit for wolves.

11. csura999

csura999 Active Member

A little something that I made to show what is potential space for the zoo to do something with. The map is from 2015, I believe.

Not all the space is probably going to be able to be developed, but it's always fun to speculate.

Attached Files:

• ZOO.png
      ZOO.png
      File size:
      556.9 KB
      Views:
  12. Wild wolverine

YES. I really enjoy watching the Tree Kangaroos but it would be spectacular if we could get koalas back! I have serious doubts of that happening anytime soon though. Maybe for another summer visit from San Diego? :rolleyes:

13. JVM

Oh, I know, but wasn't it implied they might be disappearing alongside the wolves, bear and moose exhibits? It's been a little while since I've spent much time in North America at Milwaukee.

14. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

The new elephant habitat should break ground this Month!!! I also got more info on the exhibit. As I feared, The Australia building most likely will go down with the wolf and moose exhibits. However in good news, A mixed hoofstock yard will be included. The only known hoofstock that will be in this yard are bongos, why? There exhibit will be used for the hippo expansion. Speaking of the pachyderm expansions, A white rhino or 2 may be put in the old elephant exhibit. Lastly, the keeper who I talked to (She worked in the u shaped large mammal cluster) said it should take about 2 years to complete, and they will attempt to get a bull for breeding, as well as more cows to be companion for Ruth, and Brittney.

15. Wild wolverine

This is all very exciting news, thanks for the update! I am very sad to see the Australia exhibit go, did the zookeeper mention anything about perhaps replacing it in the future?
    Also it seems weird to me that they might add white rhinos to the current elephant exhibit rather than just expand the hippo exhibit in that direction instead. That would save the current bongo exhibit but I have to admit, it will be cool to have 2 rhino species at the zoo again. Exciting times for Milwaukee, I can't wait to see at of this play out.

16. pachyderm pro

She did mention that they might build a new one else where, but not 100% yet.

17. JVM

What times will the American and Australian exhibits shut down for good?

18. pachyderm pro

No idea as of yet, I will going back to
    the zoo in a few weeks. I will try do get as much info as possible, if you have any questions, I will try to answer them, or ask them next time.

19. JVM

No problem, thank you very much. I appreciate the info.

I try to make a zoo run in December and if those exhibits are closing sooner I might choose Milwaukee, although I was currently planning LPZ due to the two new exhibit openings.

20. pachyderm pro

More news! Credit to Wild wolverine

If you haven't been following the zoo news thread, here are some updates

1. The sandhill cranes... are staying, and have been moved in with the caribou.
    2. The moose... have left, glad I got to see them one last time up close.
    3. Boris the brown bear... Is also staying. He is rotating with the black bears.
    4. The wolf and dall sheep... Are still there but will soon pass or be phased out.

Wild Wolverine also backed up my statement in which I announced a :eek:November:eek: ground breaking. Where only 10 or less days from the news people:D:D:D