Join our zoo community

Open email notifications

Discussion in 'ZooChat Community & Website' started by Chlidonias, 21 Apr 2016.

1. Chlidonias

Chlidonias Moderator Staff Member 15+ year member

is anyone else not getting their email notifications of new posts on threads they are participating in? I'm getting the odd one here and there, but otherwise nothing.

Just wondering if this is happening to others also.

2. LaughingDove

LaughingDove Well-Known Member

The email notifications seem to be working fine for me.

3. Chlidonias

funnily enough, I got a notification of your reply to this thread :D

4. Nikola Chavkosk

Nikola Chavkosk Well-Known Member

Nope. It is functioning well. :rolleyes:

5. Astrobird

Astrobird Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I certainly haven't been getting many, but I didn't know if there was still the same level of participants actively posting on the forum. What has happened to Sim? nothing seems to have been done to the site for almost 6 months now.....

6. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

I'm still here - just working around the clock on my new business which launched in June last year, trying to get it to the point where it is financially sustainable so that I can afford to spend the time upgrading my other sites like ZooChat.

Are you not getting notifications for updated threads that you actually expect to be receiving, or is it just that post volumes are down a bit and things are a bit quiet?

Let me know if there are emails you have been expecting but which haven't been received.

Also, just a heads up - I will be changing the system we use to deliver emails probably today or tomorrow, but I don't expect that to have much impact, should hopefully just be business as usual.

7. Chlidonias

for the last two days I haven't been getting more than a few of the notifications I should have been getting. But strangely enough, since I made this thread the reply notifications have started coming through as normal for all expected threads. It must have been some hiccup at one end or the other.

8. Simon Hampel

There was a major outage yesterday morning (DDoS attack on the network the servers are hosted on) which may have caused a backlog of emails perhaps? But I would still expect you to have received them - just perhaps delayed.

9. Arizona Docent

Arizona Docent Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I have been receiving my notifications fine like always.

10. Simon Hampel

I've just changed over to a new email service provider, so please do let me know if you have any difficulties with mail delivery or messages appearing in spam or anything like that.

11. Test User

Test User Member

just a test reply to trigger a reply notification email

12. Arizona Docent

I just saw that two of my recently posted photos have replies, but I did NOT receive the email notification.

13. Arizona Docent

Also yesterday I had a notification directed to my junk mail folder for the first time ever. I use Outlook which was formerly Hotmail.

14. zooboy28

zooboy28 Well-Known Member

My email notifications have been a bit weird too, coming through quite late or not at all. Quite a lot are going straight to the Spam folder too, which they never did before. However, my inbox (outlook) has just been renovated and that might explain the spam issue.

15. Simon Hampel

Yes, there is a known problem with delivery to hotmail.com or live.com and other Microsoft addresses - they are delaying delivery because of the sudden influx of new emails being sent through this new provider (lots of other businesses like mine, moving over from our old provider).

They are working on it and hopefully it will improve soon. It's very annoying and is affecting all of my sites - not just ZooChat :(

16. Simon Hampel

Actually, I've just received notification that the delay problems should have been resolved - but I'm still seeing a lot of delayed emails in the system. Hopefully they'll clear soon and things will return to normal.

17. Nisha

Nisha Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Another Outlook/Hotmail user - Still having issues with email notification's arriving late (sometimes over 24 hours)

18. Chlidonias

I'm getting a few delayed notifications (on yahoo). One took over a day to arrive, a couple have also been doubled I think (as in, the same notification arriving twice). It's only a few though, others are arriving as expected.

19. Arizona Docent

As of today, May 6 (2016), I am still not receiving ANY email notifications from ZooChat. Again I use Hotmail/Outlook. It has been this way at least a week, maybe longer.

20. Simon Hampel

Yup - ongoing problems with both Microsoft emails (hotmail.com, live.com, live.co.uk) and also with Virgin Media (ntlworld.com, virginmedia.com and blueyonder.co.uk).

I'm trying to get it sorted :(

Gmail seems to work fine - if you have a Gmail account I suggest you change the email address in your account to use that.