Join our zoo community

Enclosure advice

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by northofborder, 3 Jun 2011.

1. northofborder

northofborder Member

Hi

I have just taken over a small UK private collection. I am looking at sprucing some enclosures up with landscaping and planting. In particular I am looking for advice on mature shrubs or trees appropriate for primate enclosures. Currently we have lemurs but may be changing to capuchins. I would like advice on obtaining mature or semi mature trees as cheaply as possible and species which people have good or bad experience with. The enclosure is roofed at about 3m.

Thanks

2. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I'm not really able to answer your query, but would love to know which park you've taken over? My best guess is Five Sisters Zoo Park. Welcome to the forum.

3. Gentle Giant

Gentle Giant Well-Known Member

I would advise you to contact Linton Zoo, Wingham Wildlife Park and Exmoor Zoo. I am sure they will be delighted to help you.

4. northofborder

northofborder Member

Why those zoos in particular? Thanks for the help.
    Its an educational collection but Id rather not name it until I get a better feel for the hierarchies reaction to a amanger naming the insititution on a forum asking advice, if that makes sense!

5. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

In Holland, we have many online sites where people can post free items. On those sites, there are usually quite a few plants, but they usually say "you need to dig it out yourself".

If you have the means to do so, it must be a cheap way to get mature plants...

I'm not much of a botanicus to give you advice on what to plant and what not though... I've seen a wide variety of plants in lemur enclosures, so as long as they're not really poisonous you should be OK...

6. tetrapod

tetrapod Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It is difficult to give exact info without knowing dimensions, amount of light/shade and soil conditions but there are some basics to keep in mind.

Don't plant anything that has poisonous sap or irritants in the leaves. One website to consider is ZooLex which showcases exhibits from around the world. Many contain a list of plants used in and around the exhibits.

Be aware that 3m height is not huge for trees and you don't want to be planting anything that in a number of years you will need to remove or risk damage to mesh.

Expect damage to plants, even those that are established. Ideally you would be better to allow the plants to have a period of time to establish before giving any animal access.

Don't expect much (anything?) to survive with capuchins in a cage. They are very busy and inquisitive and will happily destroy plants over time. If the capuchins were in large exhibits with established trees and loads of space - different proposition. You may even struggle with planting with the lemurs. Good luck.

7. Zooplantman

Zooplantman Well-Known Member

You are asking the wrong group, IMO. You'll get answers and support from the BIAZA Plant Working Group. Contact the Head of Horticulture at the nearest local large zoo and get some support.

8. northofborder

northofborder Member

Thanks again,

Im looking at the planting more to act as visual barriers than climbing apparatus (if they can do both great). The height is an issue.