Join our zoo community

English language Berlin Zoo guides

Discussion in 'Zoo Memorabilia' started by Bwassa, 14 Nov 2010.

1. Bwassa

Bwassa Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if the English language guide books for Berlin Zoo have the same covers as the German language ones ?
    Also, when did the Zoo first publish English language versions ?

2. Little Lion Man

Little Lion Man Well-Known Member

I have a guide book from the 5th of January 2010. I am unsure weather this is the 2010 or 2009 guide book as it was so early into the year, though from memory it definitely has a Aye-Aye on the front.

Hope this is helpful.

3. Tarsius

Tarsius Well-Known Member

@Bwassa. I think, I can help you. The first english guide was published in 1964, it has the same cover as the german edition. Until 1992, the english versions had always the same cover like the german versions, with one exception. In 1988, for the english version was used the german guidebook cover from 1983, so the 1988 german guide has another cover.

In 1992, the first international guide was published with a serval on the cover. The german guide of that year has night monkeys on the cover. In 2000, the second intern. editon was published ( young gorilla)The german version has polar bears on the cover.

In 2007, the third english edition has Knut as cover, the german version has hippos on the cover. The latest english edition was published in 2009 and has the same cover as the german guide, an Aye-Aye.

If you have more questions, please feel free to ask me.

4. Bwassa

Bwassa Well-Known Member

Thanks guys.
    Tarsius, many thanks for your info. I actually have the first 3 international guides you mentioned, but didn't realise there was such a gap between editions.