Join our zoo community

Epic Marineland Review

Discussion in 'United States' started by Marinelander, 9 Jul 2008.

1. Marinelander

Marinelander Member

I figured I might as well do this, since I got a lot of questions about this place on my introductory thread. Just to warn you, I may wind up being a little biased since I've been coming here since I was small and enjoy visiting the whales :) Just a warning, this is really long so be prepared for lots of reading!

When you walk in, the first thing is the indoor aquarium. It's pretty old and it shows. It's often called the "cupcake" because that's what it's shaped like. It's very small and plain, with no rocks or anything. They currently keep walruses in it. However, the three that were there when I last saw them were playing with each other, and being very loud and interactive. They have toys and don't seem bored. Still, that tank needs to change.

There are also a bunch of freshwater fish in this aquarium. These little fishtanks are very nice and there's one large one that has plenty of nice scenery around it. So the fish exhibit I like.

Next comes *sigh* The King freakin' Waldorf Theatre. This pile of crap is from the seventies and the only change they've made in thirty years is that the water level's a bit higher than before. YAY. It's small and barren. It's one redeeming quality is that it's pretty darn deep, but it's still sad. There are two tiny holding pools on either side. Five dolphins live in here over the summer and in winter they're moved indoors with the rest of the dolphins. God knows how squished they are in there. They used to keep up to six orcas in this tiny thing, and did so until 1998 when most were moved to Friendship Cove. Two more young whales remained in the stadium to perform, and the last of these died in 2004. Sea lions and a few more walruses are also kept behind the scenes. So, the verdict? Kill it dead. Or at least renovate it into something for the sea lions only. It's fine for a pinniped show. Cetaceans? I don't think so.

Thankfully, Marineland is building a massive aquarium complex that will house the dolphins, and that will be indoors. So Waldorf's going soon. How soon? Not sure - the complex is still under major construction.

Next is the Deer Park. For the love of every animal on earth, don't go in here for the sake of the deer and your own safety. The deer have a lot of room, yes. But there's nothing in their enclosure. And these deer are completely and totally insane. Guests can pay to feed them, and then it's basically a free-for-all. The deer will jump on your and nip you for that food. I really hope they renovate it sometime soon, but it sucks. I'd have more fun going for a walk with Amy Winehouse.

Alright, that hasn't been too good yet, has it? So now let's go on to the best animal habitat in the park - Friendship Cove. This houses three orcas, but there was a time when there were on average about seven. Then the orcas might have been just a tad crowded, but now with only three there's plenty of room to swim and do orca things. There are three tanks - the front and side tanks are about the same size, and are nice and roomy, with fake rocks and toys galore. There are also shallower areas that the trainers can stand on. The third tank is a smaller medical pool. Even then this pool is still bigger than a few orca tanks in the world. The three orcas are all kept together, as they're very social animals. All three interact with visitors often and appear very well cared for. The orcas also perform in short, 15-20 minute “splash sessions†which honestly aren’t that amazing, but they do soak you and do show the power and beauty of the animals. Unfortunately, like the dolphin show, not very educational.

The last marine attraction is Arctic Cove, which houses 25 – yes, really – beluga whales in a habitat almost identical to Friendship Cove. The habitat is simply shallower, and the rock formations are different. The belugas do seem a bit crowded in there, but they’re also very playful and interactive. The breeding program is also doing excellent, with many babies born and most alive and kicking today. Three males were even sent to Sea World Orlando a couple of years ago. I know other permits for other young belugas have also been seen. Unfortunately, most of the belugas were captured quite recently, but luckily they seemed to have stopped that now. The belugas also participate in petting sessions for $8 Cdn for one ticket. Many of the belugas don’t participate, but the rest seem pretty willing. Though it does seem that other than being trained to be petted, they aren’t trained in much else. But overall, I’d say the beluga habitat is almost as good as the orca one – just a bit overcrowded.

We still have four more to go. The bear exhibit isn’t too amazing. It’s just a little paddock with a pond at the bottom, and some trees. Not impressive in the least, and the bears need more shade. Guests can feed these guys too, and just throw stuff over the side. Pretty silly considering you can throw just about anything else down too. Not much to say there – but definitely could be better for the bears.

There’s also a fish pond that has bridges crossing over it – very pretty, actually, and the fish have quite a bit of room, but the lake stinks like fish food (because you guessed it, you can feed them too) though I’m not sure how you clean a pond. Well, other than the smell, still very pretty, and it’s fun to watch the fish splashing around.

There are paddocks for elk and bison a well. Both need more shade, but the habitats are pretty spacious and the bison and elk seem fine. So both of these seem alright, once again could be better, but what can we do.

Marineland’s got a lot of great rides, especially family ones even a wimp like me can handle J For thrill seekers, check out Dragon Mountain, a massive steel coaster, Topple Tower, a new ride that falls back and forth and spins, and Sky Screamer, a huge triple tower that propels riders up and down three different towers. So if you’re disappointed with the animals, just go check out some rides.

Well, overall, Marineland’s got good and points. If you’re like me and are just coming to see the whales, you’ll like Friendship and Arctic Coves but will be disappointed in the stadium and aquarium. For the overall animal lover, you may be disappointed by the terrestrial animals. If you like fish, you’ll like Marineland. If you like rides, you should enjoy your day. If you oppose captivity of animals, you will be upset. But try to keep an open mind, will ya? The keepers do their best and care about the animals – it’s just the top executives that mess it up.

If you’re a zoogoer like us forum people, the experience will likely just be so-so for you. People usually like it or they don’t.

One more thing – Marineland has very wide spaces between everything. Please be prepared for walking. Lots of walking.

Well, that was a lot of typing – I hope you enjoyed that review, and I hope it was informative!

2. snowleopard

snowleopard Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

Great review, even though it was quite negative. I've heard some bad things about Marineland from visitors, mainly about the crazy number of beluga whales that are crammed into the pools. As you mentioned, I had also heard that they used to have a much larger number of killer whales as well. Were the belguas captured from the wild? Is the "petting session" for them worthwhile for tourists?

3. Marinelander

Marinelander Member

Thanks, snowleopard. Yes, unfortunately Marinelnd's never had good luck with their whales - every calf except one born there is dead (though a lot of these deaths resulted in things that couldn't have been fixed). They actually lost their matriarch early this year year, and their adult male orca a few a few years before that. Though the living calf Athena is going to turn four this August, which is longer than many of the babies that died. I don't think that the owner of the park is very competent, actually.

A lot of the belugas were captured from the wild, yes. There are five young whales there that were born at the park, and another three that live in Orlando now. The petting session isn't worth it. Eight bucks for a few pets and to feed it some fish. I find it more fun to interact at the glass with them myself. The habitat for the belugas itself is great as I already said. It has to be one of the biggest. It's just there's way too many in there.

The most recent group was captured from Russia in 2005. To the owner of the park, this isn't giving you points. At all.

I'm sorry the review is so negative to you. There are nice aspects of the park, and there are by far worse places for cetaceans, but it's still not amazing.

4. PAT

PAT Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Are they polar bears in the exhibit and how many are kept?

5. Zoogoer2000

Zoogoer2000 Well-Known Member

none right now but it would be nice if they had them

6. Zoogoer2000

It was rumored that Xena the beluga was pregnant last year,did she end up having a calf?I saw Jube's baby last year and i still don't know its name

7. Tsitika

Tsitika Member

Xena gave birth to her female calf on July 5. :)
    Jubilee's calf from last year is female and named JB (technically she's Jellybean, but the trainers hate that name and therefore she is called JB)
    Gemini is also pregnant and due to give birth this summer.

8. Zoogoer2000

Thats great news.But i can't believe Gemini is pregnant already.she had a baby about 2 years ago did'nt she.Maple wasn't it?

9. Tsitika

Tsitika Member

Gemini had a baby in July 2006, yup, but his name is Burnaby. Maple was born in 2005 to Priscilla. I think everyone was surprised that Gemini got pregnant again! But this baby has a good chance too....like Xena, this is Gemini's 3rd baby.

10. Marinelander

Marinelander Member

Not really on topic, but hey Tsitika! It's Brenna from deviantart - nice to see a familiar face back on the forum scene :)