Join our zoo community

Error when searching media

Discussion in 'ZooChat Community & Website' started by TinoPup, 25 Dec 2022.

1. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

upload_2022-12-25_1-22-10.png

I'm getting this message ("The server responded with an error. The error message is in the JavaScript console.") every time I use the search function to search the media gallery for a range of selected locations, instead of searching "all". I had selected every location for canada and the USA. I haven't gotten this message when searching that way in the past.

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Administrator Staff Member 20+ year member

Yes, I can confirm this error occurs for me too.

Unfortunately, the error messages in the JavaScript console are not very informative.

I suspect what might be happening is that the URL generated by selecting so many different zoos to search across - is too long and thus generating an error in the browser?

It certainly doesn't cause an error if you select fewer zoos - I tried selecting every zoo in the US and then a dozen from Canada and it was fine. It was only when I selected all the zoos in Canada as well that it caused the error - so it's likely the threshold is somewhere between those two figures.

It's a pity that the system is not intelligent enough to allow you to select just "United States" and "Canada" and search all zoos contained within those two categories.

birdsandbats and TinoPup like this.
  3. TinoPup

TinoPup Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Thanks for the quick reply :) I'll have to remember to do the USA and Canada separately in the future. Yes, I really wish it would just let me click a country (or north america) and have it include every gallery within that one, rather silly that it doesn't work like that!