Join our zoo community

Ethnicity of Zoochatters

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by wensleydale, 5 Aug 2014.

?

What Ethnicity do you consider yourself to be?

1. White (European)

109 vote(s)
    70.3%
  2. Black (African)

4 vote(s)
    2.6%
  3. Latino/Latina

7 vote(s)
    4.5%
  4. East Asian (China, Japan, Etc)

11 vote(s)
    7.1%
  5. South Asian

6 vote(s)
    3.9%
  6. Native American/Alaska Native (Includes South America)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Pacific Islander (Includes Australian Aborigines and Maori)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Middle Eastern

5 vote(s)
    3.2%
  9. Two or More Ethnicities (please explain in text).

15 vote(s)
    9.7%
  10. Don't Know/Prefer not to respond

3 vote(s)
    1.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Teddy Dalton

Teddy Dalton Well-Known Member

100% Irish :)

2. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Interesting thread. I'm Scottish, Welsh, English, Irish, and a tiny bit of Italian. My ancestors have been in the USA for a very long time so we're pretty far removed from the "old countries."

3. tschandler71

tschandler71 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Same way I am - Chandler obviously is English but also Scottish, Irish, "Scotch-Irish", French, Cherokee, and German. So both us are pretty much a melting pot ie American.

4. khakibob

khakibob Well-Known Member

What, no box Neanderthal?

Khakibob

5. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

White. If you want more specific, Norwegian heritage.

6. elefante

elefante Well-Known Member 10+ year member

We're Heinz 57's!

7. tschandler71

tschandler71 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

or to use the Zoo animal classification "generic"

8. UngulateNerd92

UngulateNerd92 Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

On my dad's side, my grandfather's heritage is Spanish and Portuguese with possible Italian and Ashkenazi Jewish ancestry. My grandmother is Syrian, Lebanese, Palestinian. If memory serves me right, my great grandfather was born in Ottoman Palestine.

On my mother's side, my grandfather is also Spanish, Portuguese, and I believe Balkan and Italian. My grandmother is English, Scottish, Irish, Swiss, and German.

My phenotype is more remeniscent to my northern and central European ancestry. I have brown hair, blue eyes, and relatively light skin. My mother had blonde hair, green eyes, and fair skin. My father has black hair, light brown skin, and blue eyes. The reason that I have the phenotype I do is because little did I know until recently, that Mediterranean genes are actually recessive. I will say however, that if you were to put a picture of my Palestinian great grandfather next to my face, you would see a lot of resemblence, but that might be because we both have shaved heads and wear similarly designed glasses.

9. Terry Thomas

Terry Thomas Well-Known Member Premium Member 5+ year member

Born Welsh but been Australian for most of my life.

10. Hipporex

Hipporex Well-Known Member 5+ year member

According to ancestry.com: 66% English, 16% Mexican, 6% Irish, and 12% other.

11. CloudPardus

CloudPardus Well-Known Member

Born and raised in the Southeast Asian country of Malaysia but my ethnicity is Chinese (East Asian) so i'm a Chinese Malaysian

My father's side is Hokkien while my mother's is Hakka both originated in Southern China,our ancestors were brought to British Malaya during the Qing Dynasty in the 19th Century when China was in turmoil with the Western Powers,they came to Southeast asia to make money and send it back to their homeland,some did went back while others stayed here and we've been through the colonial times,japanese invasion and communist insurgencies then independence in 1957 from the British

Despite being of East Asian descent i do not have the stererotypical slanty eyes most of my people have

Jungle Man likes this.
  12. Anniella

Anniella Well-Known Member

Mixture of European and Middle Eastern.

13. WhistlingKite24

WhistlingKite24 Well-Known Member 10+ year member Premium Member

My mother is Colombian and my father is Australian (however he has Prussian ancestry). I myself am born and raised in Australia.

Last edited: 23 Oct 2019
  14. Mehdi

Mehdi Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Moroccan from both sides so I am an Arab-Berber (which I believe fits Middle-Eastern on the poll)

devilfish likes this.
  15. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

White with mostly Northwestern European (Belgian/Flemish) blood but also some Spanish blood mixed in some generations ago.

The Mediterranean blood does show though as I could easily be taken to be /mistaken for being Southern European or even North African.

16. wally war eagle

wally war eagle Well-Known Member 10+ year member

scandanavian, Norwegian mother, Swedish father, born in USA

17. SharkFinatic

SharkFinatic Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I'm 1/4 African American, and the other 3/4 is a mix of European ancestry, including Irish, Swedish, and some others I can't name off the top of my head.

18. TheMightyOrca

TheMightyOrca Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I'm white. Always identified with my Norwegian ancestry, since that's the only one I have any sort of connection to, but I took a DNA test (I know there's a lot of debate on how legit those are) and it said I was mostly British/Irish, then some Scandinavian, and 5% Asia Minor. (and only 1% Neanderthal. Really thought I'd have more Neanderthal) Really surprised by how few groups were in my results, I wonder if that means anything. But anyway, I still just tell people my ancestry is Norwegian cause I don't know anything about those other parts of my family history.

19. drill

drill Well-Known Member

Does Israeli and Jewish count as one or two ethnicities?

20. Onychorhynchus coronatus

Onychorhynchus coronatus Well-Known Member

Latino can refer to either a person from Spanish speaking Latin America or someone from Brazil and also includes the Latin American diaspora throughout the world. Conversely "Hispanic" is a term that refers only to Ibero-American people from Spanish speaking Latin America or the diaspora from these countries located in other parts of the world.

Brazilians on the other hand are also an Ibero-American people but whose father culture and language derives mostly from the other nation/culture of the Iberian penninsula , Portugal. As such, they are Latinos but not Hispanics.

Racially/ demographically things are ambiguous at best and trying to reach any generalization is almost impossible and extremely likely to induce a headache. Some countries of Hispanic Latin America such as Mexico , Peru , Bolivia, Colombia etc. have populations that are predominately mestizo meaning the mixed race descendants of white Iberian colonists and indigenous peoples with further admixture of African peoples brought to the Americas through the Trans-Atlantic slave trade. In Brazil it is vice versa with the predominate population being a racial mix of the descendents of largely white Iberian colonists and African peoples who were brought over as slaves, with indigenous descent being to a much lesser or diluted extent.

But then to add to this complexity there has been widespread immigration waves in the 19th /20th and 21st centuries from diverse countries and regions to Latin America such as : France, Scandinavia , England , Ireland , Italy, Greece , Russia , China , India , Belgium , Germany , Japan etc.

To give an example: Brazil has the largest population of the ethnically Japanese diaspora outside of Japan , the largest population of ethnically Lebanese people outside of Lebanon , the second largest population of ethnic Germans outside of Germany , the fourth largest population of ethnic Italians outside of Italy and the fifth largest population of Spaniards outside of Spain.

Are these people latinos ?

In a sense yes, because although they may not be of Ibero American stock nor strictly identify with the culture they are still born and raised to varying extents within the cultural region and within Brazilian culture.

Last edited: 27 Oct 2019
    Jungle Man and toto98 like this.