Join our zoo community

EU Zoo Inquiry: Born Free Foundation

Discussion in 'Europe - General' started by Peter Dickinson, 13 Feb 2011.

1. Peter Dickinson

Peter Dickinson Well-Known Member

I am never exactly sure where the Born Free Foundation stands on zoos. Back in the beginning they were all for closing all zoos. It was one of the very few points that myself and other zoo professionals did not agree with. We were all for improving conditions and recognised that there were good zoos and bad zoos and there still are! Close the bad or force them to improve and meet standards...it needs to be done. But today the Born Free Foundation seem to have conflicting aims: "aims to phase out traditional zoos" and "Yes! Born Free believes it is cruel and unnecessary to keep a wild animal in confinement for human entertainment. Born Free works to end captive animal suffering and phase out all zoos and animal circuses."
    Zoo News Digest: EU Zoo Inquiry: Born Free Foundation

2. zooman

zooman Well-Known Member 15+ year member

A quote from the report.
    "Estimates place the total number of licensed zoos in the EU to be at least 3,500. "

Personally before reading this l would have guessed at maybe 500 but 3,500 WOW!!

3. docend24

docend24 Well-Known Member

Kill it with fire! :D:rolleyes:

4. zoogiraffe

zoogiraffe Well-Known Member

I`m not surprised as I would say the UK alone is probably close to having around 300-400 collections on its own!

5. KEEPER

KEEPER Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Well, sure it's very pretentious to call zoos all the 3500 places where animals they are displayed throughout Europe, authentic zoos aren't even half or so.

6. zooman

zooman Well-Known Member 15+ year member

It is very rare that l personally visit a collection that does not house Gorillas.
    Yet l had no idea that there are so many collections.

The idea that the UK almost fits into my home state of Victoria! You guys are spoilt for choice!!!

UK 244,110 sq km (94,251 sq mi)
    Victoria Australia 227,600 sq km (87,900 sq mi)

7. Pertinax

Pertinax Well-Known Member 15+ year member

8. lee456

lee456 Well-Known Member

Indeed, Bron Free's conflicting aims are confusing. What you must remeber though is that Zoo's are like anything, resteraunts, schools, theaters, etc. You will always have good and bad ones, that is the nature of the beast. The difference is zoos are (or should be working) for an overall goal. The aim of a resteraunt isn't to feed everbody, its to make money. Whereas zoos work together for conservation. Despite what you think of the Bron Free foundation I think some of there goals are noble i.e circus's.