Join our zoo community

European elephants #2

Discussion in 'Europe - General' started by UntBwe, 3 Aug 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UntBwe

UntBwe Well-Known Member

He has some competition with Alexander :) Altough he is scheduled for Sevilla, I hope the studbook keeper will not waste Alexander's experience...

2. dragon(ele)nerd

dragon(ele)nerd Well-Known Member

I agree he is such a valuable and impressive specimen, in an actual fight ( just speculating) Alexander I think would win hands down ,altough tuskless bulls in the wild are supposedly larger and more agrresive, Alexander is around one ton larger and neraly one foot taller, plus he has that large spear at the front.

3. dragon(ele)nerd

Oh and there is always Victor in Berlin who is his full brother, thoough most likely he will stay in Berlin for quite some time,

4. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Dragonnerd, what do you want us to tell with this? Victor has nothing to do with the latest topic of this threat - of bull elephants being moved around to improve breeding. I do not want to sound harsh, but if you have nothing to add to a discussion, don`t post. You are producing a lot of posts with little to no information/opinions in them and I have to admit that this is getting increasingly annoying.

5. dragon(ele)nerd

Ma Ya Yee pregnant?

According to Olifant footjes 9 year old Ma Ya yee is pregnant and due to give birth in March 2009 can anyone confirm this?

6. Animal

Animal Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Today african elephant 'Bibi' and her one year old calf 'Panya' moved from Tierpark Berlin to the Bergzoo Halle.

7. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Is the Zoo Halle elephant exhibit really sufficient for sop many Africans? I fear not ...!

This transfer is really outside the interest of the African elephant EEP. It is reflective of the politicised and high strung management mentality at Tierpark Berlin over its elephant training and handling methods.

Just when Tierpark Berlin is gradually switching to protected contact, the decision is taken to transfer breeder Bibi and Panya ... after an elephant-keeper incident.

Pachyderms are large and wild animals at that. For that reason it is surprising that keepers are allowed in with them in the Tierpark Berlin indoor stalls (so enclosed and awkwardly small as these are).

Tierpark Berlin management keeps getting it wrong ...! :(

8. Animal

Bibi had, just like the other cows from TP Berlin to go, cause she beat a keeper up...

The House has a capacity for 6 Aduld elephants. Now there are 5 adulds and one calf, so it fits just fine.
    Sabi has to go anyway in time, so what? Lucky elephants who dont have to live in TP.

9. Animal

Yashoda has given birth to a male calf at Hagenbecks in Hamburg, Germany. The birth took place in a part of the heard.

10. Sitara

Sitara Well-Known Member

Does anybody know what will happen to Thisiam? Found some new good picts of him: http://www.asianelephant.net/plock/plock.htm
    The last son of Siam is becoming really a handsome young bull. The rumours, that he could suffer from TBC are not verified, I think. It´s a pity that he is staying alone in Plock/Poland since the death of Santosh.

11. dragon(ele)nerd

Yeah, I really llike the apperance of Santosh and Thisiam I agree looks like one of the finest young bulls in europe. It is up to him and Sammy to carry on the gene pool of the magnificent Siam. What is the right time to send him to the breeding facility though? he is 10 so perhaps he could stay at a zoo where they house an adult bull and they could have a system like Colonge with Sang Raja and Bindu??

12. Upali

Upali Well-Known Member

Wasn't there rumors of him going to Kolmarden a while back?

He should go to Sevilla, Spain!! HUGE enclosure with 6 other bulls around his age. It would be great to see him there!

13. dragon(ele)nerd

That's right I remember discussing it somewhere, but I'm right there with ya Thisiam would be perfect in Sevilla.

14. Upali

Upali Well-Known Member

According to elephant.se Ratna of Munster zoo is pregnant?? Has anyone heard of this, it would be great if she was.

Also does anyone know of any planned movements in the EEP this year as ive not heard of many.

15. dragon(ele)nerd

Yeah I've also found some rumoured sites stating she's pregnant, I'd love to know if it is for sure as well.

16. Yassa

Yassa Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Guys, you could answer your own question if you read what elephant.se states:
    "Ratna may be pregnant, she was sired by Chamundi in August 2008, and hasnt come into estrous since then."

That means she could be pregnant, but it`s far from sure at the moment!

17. MeiMei

MeiMei New Member

I've question I hope to get answer to. Back in December I've been to Hungary, Sosto Zoo and I found Szabolcs (originally Ninio, then named Lotek when he was in Warsaw Zoo, Poland) pretty amazing bull. He's already rather big but I wonder what's his behaviour? See, I'm interested in elephants' behaviour, especially those after Yossi from Ramat Gan, and as far as I'm concerned he was rather nervy in Warsaw, that's why they got rid of him. Keepers from Sosto Zoo said he was rather calm so I wonder - have anyone of you guys ever had the chance to see him close, to watch him being trained or something? I know his half-brother, Yoni, staying in Warsaw, is really cute let's say, he's really tame so I wonder if the relocation and change of keepers had such a big influence on Szabolcs? Or maybe Hungarian keepers are better? LOL
    I hope to get some answers soon ;)

18. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

@MeiMei
    I saw both young bulls briefly in Warsaw some years ago. Both were extremely active, pushing and playing all the time.

Warsaw had no place to two adult bulls, so they had to send one. I also heard that he was more agressive. I am not a keeper, but I guess it was because 2,3 young elephants without adults stimulated each other.

The remaining male in summer played mounting females all the time. He mostly failed, but succeeded to enter physicaly at least once. Generally, these elephants appear hyperactive. ;)

19. MeiMei

MeiMei New Member

@Jurek7 thank you for the reply. Yes, I've heard they both didn't go well together that's why Warsaw got rid of the elder one but still I'm curious about Szabolcs's attitude in Sosto. Do you happen to know if he had first "must" yet? As far as I'm concerned he and the female are related to each other so it would be not good for the zoo to pair them so I wonder what will they do :confused:

20. dragon(ele)nerd

anyone know any details about Pang Pha's pregnancy in Berlin zoo? :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.