Join our zoo community

European elephants

Discussion in 'Europe - General' started by UntBwe, 21 Aug 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. forumbully

forumbully Well-Known Member

I'm not the elephant expert, but I'm pretty sure Timber was already a "rascal" when he left for sevilla. admitted, his character hasn't improved, but I'm not sure if it's all due to sevillas methods.

regarding the enclosure in Eindhoven. they aim to keep 2-3 bulls at the most. great facility for surplus bulls isn't it? so I pretty much doubt alex going there. my best guess is some adolescents from emmen or so.

2. dragon(ele)nerd

dragon(ele)nerd Well-Known Member

I heard that he was in bad shape. He just has bones showing most of the time. He is 290cms and only 4.3 tonnes i think that is a bit light for a 21 year old sri lankan bull

3. dragon(ele)nerd

Yeah probably it will hold the bulls from emmen sevilla is getting a bit full. With Maurice and Maxim also. I wonder is Thisiam from Plock going to Kolmarden or Eindhoven. You are right about Timber the bull was quite aggresive at times and even in a enviorment with cows he is a hothead.

4. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This is mere speculation ..., but I personally think that Thisiam is due to move to a breeding location soon. That would seem logical as he is now almost 10, he is developing into an impressive immature bull and is from a genetically underrepresented lineage (the Paris bull Siam and cow Kaveri).

Locations looking for a bull are Dublin, Kolmarden, Ostrava and Planckendael (the Antwerpen relocees). In the medium term Amsterdam will also require another bull (but not for another 3-4 years as construction is not due to start till probably 2010).

Possible source bulls are: John at Perm and Boy at Kiew. I will be damned why both - even proven bulls - have not yet been scooped up into the EEP Asian elephant breeding programme. Both zoos are actually not participating at all ..... (curious I would say ...)!??? :(

Coming back to Polish zoos:
    The Plock enclosures have been designed with maintaining some bulls in mind and they have had both Thisiam and Kobenhavn bull Santosh (alas deceased in 2006) during late 2002/early 2003.

I suppose this year Poznan is due to open its new African elephant exhibit. It will be interesting how they propose to fill the exhibit. Will this be with relocees from zoos only maintaining singletons or fresh imports from southern African "cull" elephants?

It is equally interesting to learn what the other Polish elephant holders propose to do with their exhibits and elephants. This includes Gdansk (0.1), Krakow (0.2), Lodz (0.2) and Wroclaw (0.3). Most keep elephants in the 35+ age class. Of these 6 will reach the end of their lifespan within the next 7-10 years.

Anyone have any ideas on the current management plans for Polish elephants and their future outlook? :confused:

5. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Poznan exhibit is themed for African elephants and I think it is more-the-less fixed that they will be new imports from Africa. I seen pictures from the construction site, the house looks gigantic and paddocks are huge.

Warszawa's relatively new herd of 1,3 Africans is approaching maturity and everybody hopes for breeding within few years.

Wroclaw just received two females to keep company to their elderly Asian. They redevelop historic, listed "pachyderm house" to keep only elephants and with more space.

I think for at least 10 years Wroclaw will keep non-breeding elderly Asians in this house. Zoo has grand plans, but there are other priorities, like huge Africa-themed oceanarium where hippos will move.

Gdansk, Krakow and Lodz - I suppose they will keep their very elderly elephants until their die. I think none wants to stop exhibiting elephants in the long term but have no fixed plans and long list of other developments.

6. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Update:
    Poznan has already chosen five Africans in South Africa and they should be on display in April 2009. The house is nearing completion and they are building the 4 ha outside paddocks. The house is designed for 11 elephants. Next exhibit will be lions nearby.

Few years ago, Poznan Zoo director took architect team for a tour across 10 elephant houses in Europe.

I even found some hacked photos of the gigantic building site and text in Polish:
    SkyscraperCity - View Single Post - [Poznań] Słoniarnia

7. UntBwe

UntBwe Well-Known Member

It's confirmed that the two young bulls Than Myan and Kan Kaung from Emmen Zoo are going to Dierenrijk near Eindhoven this summer. The keepers are starting to train the 6 years old elephants to step into the transport box.

They will not stay forever in Dierenrijk but they are part of the European breeding program, so they will find another home later.

8. dragon(ele)nerd

So they finally found a home for them i heard that they were supposed to move last year but not good homes were found.

9. UntBwe

UntBwe Well-Known Member

First they should go to a zoo in France. Later it was said they were going to Plock (Poland). But lucky me they stay in my own country :D

10. dragon(ele)nerd

I 'm asking if anyone knows if Kan Kaung and Than Myan are going to stay at a zoo for long term if so is it Plock or Dierenrijk?

11. UntBwe

UntBwe Well-Known Member

They are going to stay for long term in Dierenrijk! Forget about Plock.

12. dragon(ele)nerd

So it's a rumor that they are going to Plock? i can't certainly find anything out side this forum.

13. UntBwe

UntBwe Well-Known Member

Nina of Dompierre Le Pal Zoo gave birth to a son. He was born at May 4th.

14. dragon(ele)nerd

Wow! I didn't know that the birth was going to be that soon!
    Can you give me the link?

15. UntBwe

UntBwe Well-Known Member

- Elephant News

Look at the colom on right side.

16. dragon(ele)nerd

Thanks, for that. Didn't look at elephant.se this morning,
    But i can't find any picture or articles.

17. UntBwe

UntBwe Well-Known Member

Son for Asian elephant Khaing Hnin Hnin of Hannover Zoo. The healthy bull was born on May 6. Mother and son are well.
    He is the second son of Khaing Hnin Hnin. His brother Tarak was born on October 28, 2005. And he has one sister: Farina, born March 20, 2003. The father is Calvin.

Khaing Hnin Hnin came from Burma where she was born on September 13, 1982. Her name means '1982' in Burmese. In 1989 she was send together with 4 other elephants to Ouwehands Zoo in The Netherlands. After closing of the elephant exhibit in 1996 she moved to Hannover (the other 4 were send elsewhere).

18. dragon(ele)nerd

Thanks Untbwe. What do think it will named? I personally think it will Probably be something Hindu, like Tarak's name.
    I never knew that one of my favourite, and clsely followed elephants were born on September 13, where do you find out this stuff?
    My regular sites i visit are elephant.se,asianelephant.net, olifanthuis and elefanten and zoo elephant de
    Do you know around when Calvin is moving?
    It is kinda confusing for me, some threads on here say that Calvin is going to Munster while someone said that they heard from a keeper that he was moving to ostrava?
    Can answer any of these please?

19. dragon(ele)nerd

Sorry, i rechecked elephant.fan.de. and on the zoo website!

20. UntBwe

UntBwe Well-Known Member

First, thank you for visiting www.olifantenhuis.com. That's my webpage! :)

I've got this information from the webpage of Hannover Zoo (H-SPHERE)

At elephants.se you can get all the information about Khaing Hnin Hnin (birth date, place, etc.): Khaing Hnin Hnin, an Asian elephant (Elephas maximus) at Hannover Zoo

My latest information about Calvin is that he will go to Munster but he will stay in Hannover for a while. Don't know when his transport is being planned.

Nikolai, the bull from Amsterdam arrived at Hannover on April 1.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.