Join our zoo community

Europe's 100 must see exhibits

Discussion in 'Europe - General' started by lintworm, 9 Jan 2022.

1. xmoose

xmoose Well-Known Member 5+ year member

It reminds me Pilsen enclosure (which is much, much newer of course)

2. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I’m quietly waiting for Apenheul’s squirrel monkeys to come up, as I’m sure it will. The statement that it’s not exceptional anymore is a bit suprising for me? Where else would you find anything remotely the same?

I had heared about the Whipsnade bear enclosure, but I didn’t know it was that old. That does make it quite unique. I’m missing the “similar exhibits” section, perhaps there were too many?

I thought about adding Ouwehands bear exhibit to my list, which imo is pretty similar. The story of it being tied to decades of giving rescued bears a home behind it, makes it at least as remarkable in my mind. I didn’t add to my list because the exhibit imo isn’t beautifull enough.

But since you haven’t marked it as a “similar exhibit”, i’m now wondering if it will show up later in this thread or not. Oh dear, guess I’ll have to see this whole thread through now :rolleyes:

3. Antoine

Antoine Well-Known Member 10+ year member

With a little delay here https://www.facebook.com/ParcAnimalierdAuvergne/videos/découvrez-les-chambres-de-la-tête-dans-les-étoiles-/939547756699837/ a link to a long video filmed in Parc Animalier d'Auvergne where you will see first the amur leopard enclosure and other brillant exhibits too.

Hope it will help some to visualize what this park is now ;)

lintworm and twilighter like this.
  4. Bengal Tiger

Bengal Tiger Well-Known Member

Which book was this?

5. TeaLovingDave

TeaLovingDave Moderator Staff Member 10+ year member

Beasts in my Belfry, I believe :)

MRJ and Bengal Tiger like this.
  6. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Those were indeed the days, at their height the Zodiac Zoos were great examples of what to do on a small budget, with the quirky Wissel Zoo maybe as a highlight. That was also a great age for smaller mammals in Dutch zoos...

Naturally the leeches are in their separate tank, being aquatic they wouldn't do well in a walkthrough :p

Interesting, I had never thought of it like that, but it seems to make sense. It took until the 1920s en 1930s before Hagenbeck was copied.

There are a lot, really a lot, large naturalistic brown bear enclosures, ranging in size from 5000 metres to many hectares. There are examples in major zoos like Plzen, Wroclaw and Ouwehands, but many more in smaller zoos and wildparks around the continent like in Mueritz, Bayerische Wald, Kolind and more. I could have listed them as similar exhibits, but they aren't quite as ancient as Whipsnade, so left them out.

Last edited: 11 Feb 2022
  7. lintworm

26. Spirit of the Jaguar
    Chester Zoo UK
    Opened: 2001
    Size: 6200 square metres
    Inhabitants: Jaguar, Lake Titicaca frog, two-toed sloth, bush dog and several ectotherms

Not only leopards, but all spotted cats generally get the short end of the stick. Jaguar are even more tricky, as they need access to a heated indoor enclosure, which the majority of leopards in Europe don't need. Chester’s accommodation consists of two outdoor enclosures of 1200 square metres each, with an adjacent indoor enclosure of 800 square metres each, the latter is larger than most zoos provide outdoor enclosures for their spotted cats (though one of the exhibits is currently used by bush dogs). Not only does this exhibit provide a lot of space, but with one half themed as a rainforest and the other half as a savanna, it shows the versatility of these big cats in their native environment. Size is not everything, but each enclosure is also well-structured and seeing a jaguar is certainly not a given. With this exhibit now over 20 years old, it is surprising not more zoos have followed suit in providing spacious indoor housing for their big tropical cats.

[​IMG]
    @SMR

[​IMG]
    @gulogulogulo
    [​IMG]
    @gulogulogulo

[​IMG]
    @Jordan-Jaguar97

Pigeon, Rajang-GOAT, LegoOwl and 26 others like this.
  8. Maguari

Maguari Never could get the hang of Thursdays. 15+ year member Premium Member

Given how clearly I remember this being built, I was enjoying that post until you wrote that. :D

9. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I was roughly two years old when it opened :p

10. Maguari

Oh, don't start that game. Or I'll have to start listing animals I saw in those days that can't be seen now to quiet you down. :D

11. TNT

TNT Well-Known Member 5+ year member

:mad::mad::mad::p

Bengal Tiger and Rajang21 like this.
  12. Bengal Tiger

I find this amusing as I am a 13 year old. I suppose I’ll get in conversations like this when I am old(er)

Last edited: 15 Feb 2022
  13. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Impressive how you aged 10 years in the space of six months…:p

14. Bengal Tiger

I possess incredible power that no mere mortal can comprehend!!! I still fixed it as I must keep my magic a secret *vanishes*

15. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Another post where the “similar exhibits” section is missing. I’m assuming that is because there are none and tbh, I also can’t think of any. Which is either rediculous or sad, whatever way you look at it.

I didn’t know about this exhibit and although I’m not overly wowed, I absolutely agree that spotted cats usually get the short end of an already pretty short stick. I’m a little disappointed that this is the best Europe can do when it comes to leopards or jaguars.

You will soon enough. First, young football talents will be younger then you are, then the coaches of the day will be people you have seen as players and before you know it, the coaches of the day will be the children of people you have seen playing. :rolleyes:

16. lintworm

I have thought about similar exhibits, but I could not come up with any that apart from a good outdoor enclosure (often only 1) also offer good indoor enclosures.

The trend still seems to be a focus on one large outdoor enclosure, with limited separation options and one smallish visible indoor enclosure as is the case in Salzburg.

Of all the spotted cats only snow leopards really seem to get taken serious with several stellar enclosures. But they seem to need less separation options anyway, as it seems males are often kept together with young from quite a young age. But more on snow leopards later :p

Last edited: 15 Feb 2022
    Therabu likes this.
  17. Maguari

It is a lot better than it comes over in pictures, to be fair. It is really good - though the viewing gets a bit congested (often a Chester exhibit's Achilles' heel).

Crucially, I've still always managed to contrive to be younger than the current Doctor Who. But a new one is due imminently, so my fingers are crossed...

Bengal Tiger likes this.
  18. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I’m down to one player in the Australian Football League (my primary sport) who is older than I am. He is never allowed to retire - I don’t care if he’s pulling on football boots in his 80s, he needs to be out there playing.

Can remember the careers of 14 of the 18 current coaches, too. :(

Bengal Tiger likes this.
  19. HOMIN96

HOMIN96 Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Well hopefully, in a few months, there will be one worth of a mention :cool:

20. Rayane

Rayane Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Wasn’t Zlin supposed to open a new Jaguar exhibit with imported individuals?