Join our zoo community

Europe's 100 must see exhibits

Discussion in 'Europe - General' started by lintworm, 9 Jan 2022.

1. CGSwans

CGSwans Well-Known Member 15+ year member

This is a shame. I loved this exhibit, in large part *because* the birds were defeating it.

Vision and Mr. Zootycoon like this.
  2. KevinB

KevinB Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Just to be clear: they did not demolish the exhibit entirely, they just put the exhibition about birds in the alcoves that used to house the birds. So you can still see the structure of the exhibit. I have yet to see the area again myself, so I don't know if they have included any information on what the exhibit used to be.

And while I myself also appreciated the aspect of the birds defeating the exhibit concept, I think the new arid songbird aviary is a decent improvement and one I welcome.

3. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

About the Antwerp Egyptian temple - Berlin zoo giraffe house was similar in the past. Currently remains of mostly the entrance with wonderful exotic hunt scenes.

No longer existing remarkable exhibits: Veldhoven spider-car aviary? Or it is better to ignore it, not to encourage zoos make freak exhibits just for publicity?

Warsaw zoo elephant house which let elephants walk on the roof and look down at visitors and other elephants? This building still exists as an Indian rhino house but the roof is blocked.

KevinB likes this.
  4. Jurek7

Jurek7 Well-Known Member 15+ year member

One more possible lost exhibit: Rotterdam walktrough bat cave. But Pairi Daiza bat cellar and Kerzers night hall are arguably better.

lintworm likes this.
  5. MRJ

MRJ Well-Known Member 15+ year member Premium Member

There are a few problems with this. Firstly breeding in groups makes it very difficult if not impossible to determine parentage. Genetic management is vitally important in a threatened species program. Breeding in groups may suppress breeding of some of the animals in the group. It can be difficult to manage the health of individuals in a large group. And finally infectious disease can quickly run through a group.

If however you have access to a number of individuals that are surplus to the program, then by all means go ahead. And, admittedly, there are some animals that should be kept in sizable groups.

Batto likes this.
  6. Philipine eagle

Philipine eagle Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I disagree. If there was a list of 'historical zoo structures to demolish' this would be my number one. It's not adequate, conceptually not the best idea and of no architectural value.
    Plans exist in expanding the Southeast Asian Rainforest Aviary (which is at the backside of this exhibit) and I would welcome this very much.

KevinB likes this.
  7. Philipine eagle

Philipine eagle Well-Known Member 15+ year member

The hieroglyps on the front side are the most interesting ones, especially those on the two .outer parts.

The right one, here on the picture, is divided into 3 pictures. The top picture reveals the handover of the temple to the city of Antwerp. One can see the 'hand', which is de symbol of the city. The two lower pictures reveal the gifts: two people from the north bringing a hyena and a bear, two people from the west bringing a lion and an ostrich

The left pylon also has 3 pictures and again the upper one reveals the handover to the city. The two lower pictures reveal again the gifts: two people from the east handing over some antelope, two people from the south bringing a giraf and a zebra.

As Lintworm already explains, all 4 middle pylons mention the names of King Leopold I, governor Teichman and mayor Loos.

These paintings were finished around late 1861 because at that time Lodewijk Delgeur, who was a orientalist, was appointed as honorary member of the Royal Zoological Society of Antwerp (probably in gratitude for his work). He has designed and figuered out the hieroglyps, and they were painted by a man named Stalins, and his sons.

It's floor plan is indeed that of a basilica, which was more adequate in receiving public in the central part, with the stables around. It's based on the temples of Denderah and the island of Philae near Aswan but the architect Servais was also strongly influenced by the Egyptian Court of the Crystal Palace which he has visit in 1855 (after its inauguration in 1854).

Arek, Lafone, Skukuza and 3 others like this.
  8. pachyderm pro

pachyderm pro Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Just wanted to point out that barely a tenth of a way through this record has been broken. Well done!

CheeseChameleon1945 likes this.
  9. CheeseChameleon1945

CheeseChameleon1945 Well-Known Member

And how did I miss this thread. . . . ?:p

All of your posts have been educational and enlightening @lintworm, and I can't stress enough how awesome it is to learn about all these great exhibits I normally wouldn't have heard of if I hadn't found the site.
    So far the Gorilla complex seems to be the only one (just from pictures of course) I inheritnly disagree with, but the other choices seem very valid to me and look stunning. The baltic sea is a highlight: Rarely are exhibits based off that region of aquatics are thoroughly represented in aquariums here in the U.S, so that was highly grasping to me.

I can't wait to see what awaits of this thread.
    Unfortunately I want to start some banger threads that add thorough detail and consideration here on zoochat, as that is what's best, but I just don't feel I have that many good ideas for some, and if I needed to one it would have to be somewhat relaxing to do, as I am chugging through classes at the moment and long and lengthy posts like this one (yes this is what I consider long) are few and far between.

Ah well, we'll see what the future holds.

HungarianBison and Bengal Tiger like this.
  10. lintworm

lintworm Well-Known Member 15+ year member

12. Drive-through savannas
    Réserve Africaine de Sigean, France
    Opened: 1974 onwards
    Size: >80 hectares
    Inhabitants: wide array of African hoofstock, lions (and Asiatic black bear and lar gibbon)

Safari parks are an English invention that quickly spread throughout the continent from the 1960ies onwards. In most places, especially in Northern Europe, a safari park means a rather boring large grassy lawn with large mammals. Going south, the Mediterranean climate does have its advantages, as it makes for a more convincing African backdrop. In Sigean the drive-through areas are not just pieces of dry grassland, but they include larger tracts of shrubland, larger water features and palm trees. This results in some of the most African looking sceneries of any European zoo, with vegetation rather closely resembling those of African floodplain habitats (. Combine that with often large groups of African hoofstock, though often not with geographically correct mixes, and this makes for an impressive sight.

Similar exhibits: I am not aware of any other safari park that comes as close to an African landscape.

[​IMG]
    @Antoine

[​IMG]
    @Antoine

[​IMG]
    @Antoine

[​IMG]
    @Hvedekorn

11. Bengal Tiger

Bengal Tiger Well-Known Member

That’s probably he best safari I've ever heard of!!! This is yet another place to add to my “Way Too Long Zoo Wishlist”

felis silvestris and Antoine like this.
  12. Antoine

Antoine Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I was not expected this part of sigean in your thread but maybe we will have another ;)

Having visited this park last summer and put some pics on the gallery I can just confirm the landscape here is fabulous. At all, the pedestrian area is somewhat a step over with the outstanding view on the flamingos pond and the nature outside (see the gallery). But of course, the safari is really interesting with a large amount of hoofstocks and some really nice mix (somali wild ass/warthogs/cuvier's gazelles) and views (30 african forest buffalos together is something a dream).

An advise for the zoochatters : try to visit out of july/august when it's really too hot and dry.

SivatheriumGuy, CMP, Haasje and 4 others like this.
  13. Therabu

Therabu Well-Known Member 10+ year member

I would add that the safari really deserves being done at least a second time, especially at the end of the day after you have discovered the walking area. As the safari park is the first part to be visited, it is mostly crowded in the morning, so get there early, spend the day in the walking area and make sure to keep some time for the end of the day where the warmer lights will make you feel like in Africa !
    Will try to update some pictures to complement Antoine's photos in the gallery.

CMP, wstefan, lintworm and 2 others like this.
  14. lintworm

That is not really surprising, the Baltic sea is not and Indo-Pacific coral reef. On the other hand N-American displays in aquaria are very much limited to some version of a Californian kelp forest when talking about saltwater. Freshwater exhibits are equally scarce with mostly alligator gars, paddlefish and pumpkinseeds.

It is not bad not to start banger threads, in fact it took me years before I even attempted to do one (and they do take up time...). I can only advise you to do one when you feel you have a good idea, the headspace and the time (and if you are unsure whether your idea is good, there is no shame in asking someone for feedback).

W'll see about that one :p . I did really want to include a safari drive-through, as it is a European staple and then there aren't many good options really :p

That would be great!

That is part of the goal of this thread :p. Such a list can't be long enough as there is so much to see ;)

CMP and Antoine like this.
  15. Antoine

Antoine Well-Known Member 10+ year member

Arg :confused: If I want to add new pictures of the park I have to do quickly as we know all the work of @Therabu is excellent and I will suffer from comparison ;) but I have for me that he takes few pictures of landscape and large view :p

Therabu likes this.
  16. lintworm

13. Crypt
    Pairi Daiza, Cambron-Casteau, Belgium
    Opened: ?
    Size: 100-200 square metres (guesstimate)
    Inhabitants: Egyptian rousette

Below the 18th century Cistercenzian Abbey tower lies a room of which the origin and purpose are still unclear. A subtle door, that is easily missed in the sensorial overload called Pairi Daiza leads to an underground crypt. With its vaulted ceiling and (for once) fitting music, this seems a calm place. That is, until you notice that it is full of fruit bats. Given the rather limited space and a lot of trust of the bats in their echolocation, this is not an exhibit for the faint-hearted. The bats will fly close to you, but in such a location, it makes for one of the most wonderful experiences that Pairi Daiza can offer. Here old architecture and exhibitry go together very well without any major adaptation to the original room.

[​IMG]
    @KevinB

[​IMG]
    @KevinB

[​IMG]
    @lintworm

Similar exhibits: except tropical halls there are several more good walkthroughs with bats, most notably the fruit bat forest in Chester Zoo, UK. The Nocturama in Papiliorama, Kerzers, Switzerland, is a nocturnal hall with, apart from a number of enclosures, tons of free-flying Seba's short-tailed bats. This is another place where they can come uncomfortably close, as their roost is in a visitor tunnel little more than 2 metre in height:

[​IMG]
    @lintworm

[​IMG]
    @lintworm

17. jwer

jwer Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Haha, wow The Crypt :)

I have two exhibits from Pairi Daiza on my list (remarkably, I know) but never thought about including the Crypt!

For me, this one really is one of them ones where you have 70~80 odd and think, now what? What is different? What offers something unique? I can’t blame you for coming up with the Crypt, it fits both questions with ease. Add some screaching, scared visitors and it does add something unique to the Zoological realm.

As a “bat exhibit”, it doesn’t offer the highest level of animal wellfare tbh. But I guess anything at Pairi Daiza rarely does :rolleyes: and it’s hard to come up with a “bat exhibit” that does, other than the big tropical houses (Emmen, Zoom Gelsenkirchen, Bush, etc).

In all, you haven’t convinced me… yet :p but it’s definately close…

18. Lafone

Lafone Well-Known Member

That ones a real wow!

19. lintworm

14. Burgers’ Bush
    Burgers’ Zoo, Arnhem, the Netherlands
    Opened: 1988
    Size: 14.000 square metres
    Inhabitants: roughly 50 species, including aardvark, small-clawed otter, Rodriquez fruit bats, >35 bird species and a range of reptiles, amphibians and fish (and 1000+ plant species, as it is also a botanical garden)

Even after close to 35 years, the Bush is still a landmark in the European zoo landscape. What started as the first large-scale experiment at recreating an ecosystem in a zoo, is still one of Europe’s leading exhibits. Several large rainforest halls have been built since, but none have quite matched the wild rainforest feeling, as they are often somewhat cleaner interpretations. It is also still the only one that expects its visitors to explore the place, as there is a large trail network instead of following one fixed route. Despite this dense network, smart landscaping and planting means the cross-viewing is very limited, giving the hall an even larger feel. The only main drawback is that the roof doesn’t exceed 20 metres above the ground, and is often lower, due to building regulations. There is no specific theme, though the vegetation is neatly divided in an Asian, African and S-American section, but the free-ranging animals naturally don’t keep to those areas. Not only are there over 40 free-ranging animals to find, including many rarities, but many have seen breeding success here too. This is really a hall where one has to look for the animals, as there are only a few enclosures dotted around. With some patience and spotting skills you could spend hours here, and one should as this exhibit only shows it’s secrets after a lot of patience. With Dracaena bushii, this is probably also the only zoo exhibit which has a species named after it. One can only imagine how the Bush could have looked if the original plans, which were twice the size, could have been realised.

[​IMG]
    @lintworm

[​IMG]
    @lintworm

[​IMG]
    @KevinB

[​IMG]
    @ralph

Dracaena bushii
    [​IMG]

@lintworm

similar exhibits: we'll get there...

20. Fallax

Fallax Well-Known Member 5+ year member

I don't think the Bush being here should surprise anyone... and for good reason!