Join our zoo community

Euros 2020 (2021)

Discussion in 'Zoo Cafe' started by amur leopard, 11 Jun 2021.

1. HungarianBison

HungarianBison Well-Known Member

Half the European population is vaccinated and we are in Summer when all respiratory diseases, including COVID, are reduced. I don't think there's anything to worry about.

2. amur leopard

amur leopard Well-Known Member 5+ year member

Well well well. France 1-0 up against Germany 20 minutes in, and Portugal eventually managing a 3-0 win against Hungary after 80 minutes of being held and playing quite slowly.

Hope France wins.

HungarianBison likes this.
  3. littleRedPanda

littleRedPanda Well-Known Member

no-one bigging up the Welsh here then? Good win yesterday and Italy's results are a big help too apparently

4. taun

taun Well-Known Member

Barely bothered with England let alone the other home nations that hate us.

Same as if English sides other than my own team are in Eurpean final, I want them to lose certainly wouldn't be cheering them on....find it weird tbh.

Last edited: 17 Jun 2021
    littleRedPanda likes this.
  5. littleRedPanda

I'm the same generally

taun likes this.
  6. aardvark250

aardvark250 Well-Known Member 5+ year member

With 4 points surely Wales will be in the knockout round. Bale is really good in that Aussie kit.(apart from the awful penalty) Guess he wasnt lying when he said "Wales, golf, madrid. in that order"

7. littleRedPanda

As good as it is not to be beaten by England, it means little if Scotland don't win their final game.

8. Strix

Strix Well-Known Member

What a dull game, and after all that buildup!
    I suppose Im not too surprised though, given the two teams involved:rolleyes:

9. aardvark250

Well done Hungary you got a point in that group. France though, you aren't as good as I expect. Own goal win vs Germany and draw with Hungary? That's not a world champion.

10. amur leopard

Err... Portugal? :D

11. aardvark250

12. Strix

Strix Well-Known Member

13. Kifaru Bwana

Kifaru Bwana Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Generally speaking, I feel that increasingly these tournaments are offering an ever more mundane soccer experience.

I honestly belief as a direct result of the uneven handed and unfair financial treatment of national soccer sides in professional incountry compeitions and even more self evident the tacit and active UEFA's favoritism of some competitions within Europe in CL and other European leagues, it has become an absolute bore with the final 4 outcomes almost assured.

Verdict: soccer has become so mired in individual power games and money hungry soccer clubs and bosses poisoning the game and fair play and competition. There simply is no longer a soccer club player around willing to stick by his fave youth club they been with all their lives.

This has affected me greatly in the last decade and mind you all that jazz coming from an absolute club soccer fan and afficionado.
    Now, I am afraid I have simply switched off and no longer bother about European championships at all.

zoomaniac likes this.
  14. zoomaniac

zoomaniac Well-Known Member 15+ year member

While I'm agree that the Hungarians did a great job against the Worldchampion and the French played a little to much "nonchalance", France has still reserves. They can (and will) use it, when it is necessary. And although I cross my fingers for Germany in the tournament, I must confess that the french could have defeat them also 3:0 or 3:1 (regarding the extremely tight offside positions). However, there is no other nation with that potential. Not England, not Belgium, not even Italy. The French could only beat theirselves (e.g. when they quarrel with eachother like sometimes in the past).

15. HungarianBison

HungarianBison Well-Known Member

In half-time the Hungary-Germany match is 1-0:cool:
    Have you ever thought it?

16. amur leopard

Massive series of matches, and so unlucky for Hungary. Unfortunately wasn’t able to watch it all myself but have heard they were amazing. Either way, not exactly what England will have hoped for in the round of 16.

17. zoomaniac

@HungarianBison: Yes I have. Because I had expected that they will play the same defensive way they played against France. The conclusion is: The Hungarians where brave fighters against Germany. They followed the defensive strategy of Coach Rossi precisely and fully concentrated. They used 2 of total 3 chances for a goal. In short: They did the maximum from the football abilities they have.
    That being said however - and I hope that will not affect our good relationship here in the forum and should not be taken as a personal attack - the Hungarians didn't deserve to reach the round of 16. Because what they played was awfull "concrete football" or catenaccio. Destroy all the efforts of the contender and waiting for counterattacks. A kind of football everyone whos neutral and just love the game (or rather offensiv football) hate or at least don't like. And looking at the facts (ball possessions, chances etc.) Germany did much more offensiv efforts then Hungary. This is also sad because in the past, the Hungarian style was known as an offensiv style too (remember the 1954-Team and also the time as Lajos Detari was the teamleader). You can now argue that the actual hungarian team has not the same potential and that the actual style was/is relatively successfull - which is all true. However, even the big football nations have had teams in the past, that were just above average and sometimes have missed the big tournaments. But have you ever seen Germany, England, France or the Netherlands playing destructive football?? So when you take off your pink (is it still allowed in Hungary to use that term?:);) patriotic glases, you must confess that the answer is NO.

@amur leopard: No, regarding the pressure and efforts Germany made, the Hungarians were not unlucky but the Germans were for most of the game. On the other hand, the constellation in the round of 16 appears much more promising for the English team then in the past. Germany isn't stabile in the defense, they have no teamleader, Neuer is not the worldclass goalie he normaly is, the tactical system is the same since years and so well known and they suffer from the lack of a worldclass (and real) forward. So looking specially at the offensiv power of England with Kane, Sterling and Rashford, I say that the three lions will win this time. Any bet?;)

18. amur leopard

Wonder if you have watched any of the English matches :D - the offensive power of England is unfortunately non-existent at this tournament - Kane has not turned up at all, Rashford getting hardly any game time (same with Sancho, Saka etc.) and Sterling, having scored two virtual tap ins is now England's only scorer.

England's back line, while solid, has hardly come up against the greatest front lines in Europe in recent times - getting clean sheets against Romania, Scotland and Czechia is hardly a massive achievement for the most expensive team at the Euros. England's keeper, while solid, is nowhere near the calibre of Neuer. And the midfield is fairly poor as well, with DMs pretty much never helping out the backline yet not creating anything up front.

All this to say - England hasn't looked the part this tournament - at all. In fact the last time England won against a top team in a major tournament was in the 2002 World Cup against Argentina. Germany have had countless massive wins since then, with a much less expensive team. Sure, I bet England will lose.

zoomaniac likes this.
  19. zoomaniac

Yes, I have watched the English matches:p. And although I must confess that there are a few good arguments in your last post, I still bet on England. Don't forget that England has a positive score regarding the matches those two nations had against eachother. Then, the match is in the Wembleystadium, so home advantage for England. Also, I'm sure that the English offense will have more room/space against Germany then they had against some of the teams you mentioned, so Kane and Rashford will have more chances. And normally they don't need that many to score. And if there are players that beat the "fighting to the end"-spirit of the Germans, then those are the English. Last but not least: Gareth Southgate has still an open bill with Germany and will give his last drop of blood to equalize the humiliation of 1996.
    Actually, the only chance of victory the germans have is when it comes to a penalty-shoot out...;):)

amur leopard likes this.
  20. littleRedPanda

ITV player is really letting me down today! I keep loading it, clearing cookies etc but it just goes to a corner at three minutes then stops!

ZooNerd1234 likes this.