Join our zoo community

Ex-situ breeding programmes vs. local ministerial acts

Discussion in 'General Zoo Discussion' started by Orycteropus, 23 Jun 2008.

1. Orycteropus

Orycteropus Well-Known Member 15+ year member

Please check this photo and description in my gallery connecting with this theme:

Otter House @ Budapest Zoo - Photo Gallery

I'm interested in Your opinions ... and other details connecting with this from other regions if You have. Thanks in advance guys ...

Last edited: 23 Jun 2008
  2. Sun Wukong

Sun Wukong Well-Known Member

I remember visiting the building in 2006; it kind of felt "empty"-now I know why...;) Thanks for the info.

3. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I suppose that the zoos could lobby for a change in the law, arguing that there are good educational and conservation reasons. Most European otters originally came to UK zoos as rescued kits from the Scottish islands, their offspring have been reintroduced into England.
    Meanwhile the zoo could keep exotic otters - if they can find any.

Alan

4. Orycteropus

@ gentle lemur:
    Unfortunately the situation is not as easy as You wrote. Certainly this lobby was happened, and may I make some details know. The Veszprem Zoo tried to purchuse a female for their single male in 2005. As the single male at Veszprem is a genetical valuable individual, the former Dutch EEP coordinator of the Eurasian Otter wanted to participated him in the EEP, and offered that there was an appropriate female for him at Zoo Krakow. The Conservancy refused this for the first time the reason of genetical problems and unknown diseases. After that the zoo could refute these reasons with experts in its appeal, secondly they simply said that the breeding of otters is not a ’common weal’ or ’public interest’. This situation was so incomprehensible on international level, so the coordinator offered a new female, but nothing has changed.

The main problem is the following: there were several zoos in my country which exhibited this native predator species (which is pretty good I think), but after this meaningless ministerial act more and more Hungarian zoos changed to keeping other otter species, so currently zoos there are full of Oriental small-clawed otters instead their native relatives, so zoos can’t use the possibility the conservational and educational value connecting with one of our acutely protected native species, which is so regrettable I think.

5. gentle lemur

gentle lemur Well-Known Member 15+ year member

I understand the problem. My first point was that politicians will only change things for political reasons, so they need to persuaded by lobbying on as large a scale as possible.

Alan

6. Orycteropus

Alan, I know that You understand the problem ... and thanks for Your replies in this theme ...